PDA

View Full Version : My first week as a childminder!

keeks
07-01-2011, 07:00 PM
Well, this has been my first week as a childminder. I've been settling two children and had two visits. Next week my two 1 year olds will have their first day together. I am so loving this!!! :D

Again, I am so happy I found this lovely forum. Thank you Pauline and everyone else for support and friendships.

Good luck to all of you waiting for calls, fingers crossed we will all be full before too long.

xxx

Vickster
07-01-2011, 07:07 PM
Well done you and hear hear re this forum.

It was my first week with my 9 month old (tues and weds), I also have a 4 and 5 year old too since I got my cert in December. My week was manic and I forgot to eat on the first day when my 9 month old was there. Just wrote my diary for today and evaluated my plans for my 4 and 5 year olds. Will do some proper planning for the baby over the weekend as I was just getting to know him last week.

It is very exciting isn't it?

God luck for next week.
x

Lorraine B
07-01-2011, 07:23 PM
I had my first day today with my 2 year old and loved it :clapping:
I just hope I soon get more mindees so i can give up work :)

Lorraine xxx

Fraggle1
07-01-2011, 07:40 PM
oooo congrats on all Starting :) I'm going to be starting in Feb. a 1 year old 3 days a week - I can't wait!!! x

Mookins
07-01-2011, 07:51 PM
:clapping: :clapping:

glad it went so well xx

mufftie
07-01-2011, 08:37 PM
sounds like youve had a good start then well done:clapping:

jane5
09-01-2011, 01:27 AM
Thats great, :thumbsup: how many hours a week do you have them all

Penny1959
09-01-2011, 06:01 AM
Hello Keeks

Glad you have such a good week with your mindees and hope this next week and all the others are as good.

I think that even with occassional problems with parents, long hours and your house / life dominated by childminding - this is the best job in the world.

Penny :)

PinkFairy24
09-01-2011, 03:05 PM
Great glad it is all going so well!!

Love Claire X x X

zoe2010
09-01-2011, 04:59 PM
so glad you had a great week im still new ish to it as i started ni sept and am still loving it on a plus side the freedom is great it's not like a 9-5 job where ur stuck at a desk !!
Roll on the summer picnic's in the park :blush:

kellie198
09-01-2011, 06:50 PM
Wish it was me I'm still waiting for everything to be confirmed. Enjoy

keeks
09-01-2011, 06:56 PM
Thanks guys. Yes Penny, I think it must be one of the best jobs ever!

Vickster, I could easily forget to eat too. I've bought some ginsters pepper steak slices which you just heat for a minute in the microwave in case I feel I haven't got time for making a sandwich.

Well done and good luck to all of us who have just started and you who are about to!

I have only got them one day a week so far, but both sets of parents want to increase to 2-3 days. I have also got a mum coming tomorrow with her 3 year old, she would like two days. I haven't advertised other than childcare.co.uk because I want to start really slowly to be able to sort out all the paperwork, build resources etc.

Really excited about 1 visit and 2 settling sessions tomorrow then my two mindees starting on Tuesday!

Have a lovely week, newbies and oldies! :clapping:

xxx

Vickster
09-01-2011, 10:15 PM
Keeks, I am starting slowly too. I look after a 9MO two days a week and then do part days for a 4 and 5 year old and that is ample. It will leave me 1 or 2 days completely free to do house stuff, spend with my duaghter and chase my tail.

I am mind boggled by the paper work. H is at the rugby on Friday night so hoping to get up to date then..once the children are in bed.

Have a good week.

Nappers
12-01-2011, 10:05 PM
I am so desperate to just get started now... this feels like it has taken ages and I am now at the last hurdle.. fingers crossed my head isnt completely boogled by all the paperwork etc.
I have all my policies ready and certificates etc.
When some one comes to do a visit what do you show them?

keeks
14-01-2011, 07:59 PM
I am so desperate to just get started now... this feels like it has taken ages and I am now at the last hurdle.. fingers crossed my head isnt completely boogled by all the paperwork etc.
I have all my policies ready and certificates etc.
When some one comes to do a visit what do you show them?

I obviously show them around the house, toys, notice board, my reg certificate etc. I show them a sample all about me folder with observation forms etc, my policy folder, my risk assessment folder and my qualifications folder.

I have prepared plastic folders with a register form, my All about me, permission forms, a summary of my policies and an info leaflet and business card (both printed really nicely but cheap on vistaprint).

I also keep a writing pad so I can write down any details such as days wanted, age and name of child/ren, other settings etc.

Good luck, I hope it all goes smoothly for you now!
xxx

Mollymop
14-01-2011, 08:48 PM
Well done on your first week!!:clapping:

Doofuz
15-01-2011, 07:50 AM
Good to hear that you are really enjoying yourself - hard work it may be but it's YOUR business so it's all for you. You make me even more excited about my registration becoming complete. Enjoy yourself and keep telling us all how good it is!

Dx

keeks
15-01-2011, 11:31 AM
Good to hear that you are really enjoying yourself - hard work it may be but it's YOUR business so it's all for you. You make me even more excited about my registration becoming complete. Enjoy yourself and keep telling us all how good it is!

Dx

I feel just like that, I used to work hard for someone else, I'm so much happier working hard for me, my boys and the children I mind.

Good luck with your registration, hope it goes really quick!

I've now got the two little ones one day, a nearly 3 year old two days and next week I've got settles for a 10 month old three 9 hour days a week! I won't take any more on for a while now - I'm trying very hard to start slowly! :laughing:

I'm loving every minute, it's great! And I've still got Fridays off - woohoo! :thumbsup:

Good luck

Sara T
15-01-2011, 01:19 PM
woo hoo!! this week was my first week too! I have been reg since Oct 2010 and take a little boy to nursery mornings only, but this week was my first 'real' week having my first mindee monday to friday all day!! nearly 10 months old and she got on well with my little one and enjoyed all the activities and groups we went to.

I found it busy only because she is new to me and I was getting used to her ways, times, likes, dislikes etc

I have also had an enquiry for a possible part time child age just over 1.

Just wondering what you new childminders are doing re: puschairs if you have 3 under 5's that do not walk/ walk long distance.

I have a phil and teds double but if I have another child then I would need transport for 3!!

Another lady I know reccommended a side by side with buggy board.

Has anyone else been in this situation and what are you going to do?

I dont fancy getting a hefty triple buggy!!

Sara :-)