PDA

View Full Version : Fussy Kids

phoebe-alice
07-01-2011, 06:58 PM
I'd spent over an hour making a lovely dinner for my family and two of my mindees today, when it came to dinner all my family were happy with the meal but one of the mindees, the older sister turned her nose up saying 'I don't want that on my plate'.
Her younger sister copies everything she does so of course she said the same too, but I said it was nice and she liked everything that was in the pasta bake so they would get what they are given. :panic:
They sat there looking miserable pushing their food around their plate as they didn't get their own way. So neither ate hardly anything.
I'd put a lot of work into the meal so felt a bit peeved, at least my family ate it and were quite happy!
Just hate seeing that my mindees are loosing their manners and they usually eat anything they are given, what happened in my two week holiday haha. :laughing:
Anyway sorry for the rant!

mushpea
07-01-2011, 07:18 PM
this is part of the reason i stopped doing meals,, i got fed up with chucking good food away,,, mind you if they didnt eat they got nothing else!

Bridey
07-01-2011, 07:21 PM
The little girl I work with came back from the xmas break with "I don't like..." to a familiar, normally liked dish. I did the usual "I hear what you are saying, eat it up" which she did reluctantly. Today's dinner was wolfed down! It does seem to take a few days to settle after the holidays doesn't it!

Twinkles
07-01-2011, 07:23 PM
I made a really nice beef casserole yesterday. One of the mindees said it was so lovely could we have it every day. The others all ate without complaint ( we as a family had some later - with added ale ! ) and we enjoyed it.

All except one child who sat down to his tea and said ' Yuck that's disgusting ' :angry:

needless to say he found himself in a time out until he remembered his manners.

funemnx
07-01-2011, 07:25 PM
I try not to provide an evening meal now because of this very reason. I used to feed 5 children each day of the week and there woud always be somebody who hated what I'd made and every single child would say they didn't like 1 thing on their plate - it's so discouraging! Glad I don't have to do that now....

phoebe-alice
07-01-2011, 07:41 PM
It would be good not to worry about evening meals I only cook them on the nights I have the girls until half 8, which is 3 days a week at the moment.
What do you do if you have a child late and you do not want to provide meals, do you get parents to provide evening meals?
My main concern with that though is they would end up with all the unhealthy foods too, if I ask them what them want for tea the reply is usually pizza and chips which they only get as a treat with me haha. I'm really not as cruel as I sound, promise! :laughing:

Gizmo
07-01-2011, 08:09 PM
:huh: I have one that is so fussy and will only eat mac cheese out of a tin for dinner which is disgusting, after many conversations with mum it has been agreed that if she doesnt eat the meal that I give her then she can have a slice of bread and butter and have meal at home with her family, strange thing is most of the time at lunch she will eat what she is given :huh:

funemnx
07-01-2011, 08:15 PM
I only have my 2 girls once a week now so give them what I know they'll eat but 6 months ago I had them twice a week and wasn't wanting to cook an evening meal so mum provided a shepherds pie or some bolognaise sauce and pasta with fruit and yogurt for pudding. I must admit, I batch cook shepherds pie and bolognaise sauce because I know they'll eat it (although 1 complains she doesn't like shepherds pie....)

Bridey
07-01-2011, 11:10 PM
I feed up to 8 children every day of the week. Its what makes me different to all the after school clubs and most other childminders in the area and I think is a great asset to my business, even though its hard work (I cook mainly from scratch).

I work with school age children and we have an understanding ... there is food we love, food we don't mind but would rather not eat if we had the choice and food we hate. I promise that no child will have food they hate on the plate as long as they promise me that they eat the food they don't mind but would rather not eat and every now and then I consult them on menu planning and they take turns to choose something they love!

I have found that many of the children happily eat things that they refuse to at home! :rolleyes:

auntym
07-01-2011, 11:58 PM
I feed 6 children a wk, every mon - fri.............i usually make large family meals eg a large very mild tikka massala in slow cooker or hotpot or mash sausage etc, mindees usually wolf the lot.
Occasionaly i will get a "not eating that" so the "not eating thats" dont get the puddings later ! as i know the things i give them they will eat.
IF there is anything they really dislike - i wont give it them - if its stuff theyve had before and being fussy - well they get fruit but no pudding.
When the parent comes if they say im hungry il explain they totally refused tea. if it becomes a permanent thing id discuss with parents to feed at home as i dont believe in wasting food.
Iv had mindees sit down a meal and say that was yummy only to have it two wks later and not touch it saying "i dont like that"
And 9 times out of 10 have a parent say "how did you get them to eat that"
lol
Carry on as your going hon if they being awkward, i think any kid would have pizza 24/7 if you allowed haha

mushpea
08-01-2011, 08:07 AM
I used to feed up to 8 children of an evening and would get the 'i dont like this' but then would eat it when they realised there was no pudding,,,I stopped as my children have got older and want to eat with us and in the holidays this left one chap to sit and eat on his own which he clearly didnt enjoy even if i sat with him so from august last year i took the decision to stop and when my term time onlys came back in september no one minded and ifact one parent now picks up earlier so she can feed them so i now finish by 5.30pm each day which is lovley ,,, they all get a snack of fruit when they come home from school to keep them going.