PDA

View Full Version : Help Please! Did I handle this correctly?!

Bambini
07-01-2011, 04:44 PM
I started looking after a lovely little girl the same age as my DD last September. Originally it was just for 3 mornings per week. Mum asked me if I would consider looking after her other LO too, so working for 3 full days with DD1 and picking up DD2 from preschool and minding her for the rest of the day too. I had to consider this carefully as it would fill my spaces, and I had lined up another mindee to start 6 weeks later. Mum begged me to take them on as she was really stuck for childcare, so I agreed to this and would only be working solely for her. She also said she couldnt afford the full deposit so I agreed to half.

Anyway, to cut a long story as short as possible, my DD and I had a sickness bug back last November and had a couple of days off (which I refunded her for). I then got an email the next week to say that she couldnt afford so much childcare, and couldnt afford to be let down so was dropping her hours from 30 per week to 8 :panic: I kept things as really friendly and professional and remarketed the spaces. I signed up a little boy for 5 mornings a week school run, and agreed with the other mum that she would drop her DD1 off at 9.05 instead of 9 so that I would be back from the school run in time. However, I have found this week that I am not getting back til 9.10. (Only started the school run on Thurs and only have DD1 on a mon and tues). I text Mum to say could we possibly adjust our hours from 9-1 to 9.15-1.15 (she works from home and can normally be quite flexible). I got an email from her saying this was not acceptable, she was going to find alternative care, and since I had 'broken the contract' can they not pay for the rest of this month (I had payment for Jan in advance).

I replied with this:

Dear xxxx,

Firstly, I am really sorry to hear you are going to look for another placement for B. She is so settled here and she and (my DD) have a wonderful time together.

Secondly, I have in no way broken our contract - my text was merely asking if adjusting our times could be a possibility. I have never had any intention of letting you down, I was just enquiring as to whether the timings could be more flexible due to me taking on the school run for 5 mornings a week in order to make up for the hours dropped in December. If not, I would have worked something out with my other mindee's Mum for the 2 mornings a week when I have B.

With regards to incurring charges, I would require 1 months' notice, but in this instance, I am happy to take this as 1 months' notice from the 1st January 2011, so in effect our contract would end at the end of this month.

I feel that this is more than fair, given that I have been as flexible as possible during our contract. I will very much miss looking after B and I know My DD will too.
Please can I have your advice on whether I have handled this correctly? I think I made a couple of bad business decisions, but to be honest I will be glad not to work with her any more. She failed initially to tell me about a major health complication with her DD1 and has generally been a big nightmare. I am really REALLY starting to question whether this is the job for me. I love being with the children and I feel I do a really good job with them, it's the parents that I am finding so hard! Any advice much appreciated - I hate confrontation, am sat here feeling sick!

:(

xxx

Chatterbox Childcare
07-01-2011, 04:49 PM
I think you have done everything by the book.

Good luck with the new mindee

Pipsqueak
07-01-2011, 04:51 PM
I think you have handled it very well, professionally and courteously. Sounds like mum things she has you over a barrel and she will do anything to get out of paying. She has I think believed you are the hired help!

Dear xxxx,

I am really sorry to hear you are going to look for another placement for B. She is so settled here and she and (my DD) have a wonderful time together.

i would like to address and clarify a couple of points you raise in your email. I have in no way broken our contract - my text was merely asking if adjusting our times could be a possibility. I have never had any intention of letting you down, I was just enquiring as to whether the timings could be more flexible due to me taking on the school run for 5 mornings a week in order to make up for the hours dropped in December. I'd take this bit out.

With regards to incurring charges, I would require 1 months' notice, but in this instance, I am happy to take this as 1 months' notice from the 1st January 2011, so in effect our contract would end at the end of this month. Add in that all fees will be payable and on time as per your contract.

I feel that this is more than fair, given that I have been as flexible as possible during our contract. I will very much miss looking after B and I know My DD will too.

Please can I have your advice on whether I have handled this correctly? I think I made a couple of bad business decisions, but to be honest I will be glad not to work with her any more. She failed initially to tell me about a major health complication with her DD1 and has generally been a big nightmare. I am really REALLY starting to question whether this is the job for me. I love being with the children and I feel I do a really good job with them, it's the parents that I am finding so hard! Any advice much appreciated - I hate confrontation, am sat here feeling sick!

:(

xxx

No you have been more than fair, reasonable and professional. You have not made bad business decisions but you have perhaps been very trusting with this family and THEY have taken the proverbial out of you. Its a learning curve.

oakie dokie
07-01-2011, 04:56 PM
just to reassure you that it is the parent that has the problem, problem being she just doesn't want to pay! you have acted in a professional manner at all times and have been more than fair. they play on are emotions hoping to wriggle out of payment and knowing how vunrable we are in our profession. Use this as a learning curve. NOT all parents are the same.

Bridey
07-01-2011, 05:15 PM
I cannot see that you have done anything wrong at all. You've been very professional and courteous. Mum sounds like an unreasonable nightmare and you are better off not working for her. I hope she pays you what she owes, stand firm on this one and be prepared to go to small claims court if you have to.

Bambini
07-01-2011, 06:55 PM
Thank you so much for your replies. Lucklily she pays one month in advance - I think she was angling for a refund if she took her daughter out from now! So I have been paid which is good news. I am going to refund her deposit and learn from this experience! No more Mrs Pushover!

I really appreciate the responses - thank you xxx