PDA

View Full Version : Shed for storage it is then....

arly
07-01-2011, 01:00 PM
After searching the forum yesterday for storage ideas I found my only option is to think about a shed! So I brought up the idea to my partner last night thinking he would be like no way not another garden shed.....BUT he agrees :clapping: think he is actually sick of tripping over stuff upstairs! so next thing will be good airtight boxes for storing. Our toddler group has good boxes from tesco which have a good tight lid and come in different sizes. So storage issue solved. :thumbsup:

sweets
07-01-2011, 01:05 PM
once of the best things i did was to get a shed for toy storage!

its only a 6x4ft one but once i had put a couple shelves up which i was very proud of for doing myself it actually holds quite a lot.

it freed up my wardrobe and understairs cupboard.

i just need to rotate the toys on a more regular basis :rolleyes:

arly
07-01-2011, 01:09 PM
I have my own 3 children and all there clutter so really was lacking in storage especially for buggies and car seats so I would agree its a good investment, especially come Summer time when I invest in some outdoor toys. Im just a new childminder so gradually adding to my collection..:)

solly
07-01-2011, 01:14 PM
When we had renovations done in the summer we had a huge shed built which i have half of with shelves etc, then i also had a huge stoeage chest which holds 6 80 litre storage boxes so all my toys are not in the house. they have also been lined with a damp proof material so everything i have got out there is ok.

It was the best thing we did :)

miffy
07-01-2011, 01:28 PM
I would like a shed - hubby would just like me to get rid of some stuff :rolleyes:

Got to do something soon as running out of room indoors!

Miffy xx

sarah707
07-01-2011, 05:17 PM
I have a shed for the outside toys and it is great.

It does get damp though in the winter so if you can pay a bit extra for damp proofing it will be worthwhile.

That or bring material stuff inside :D

Bridey
07-01-2011, 05:21 PM
I have one of those plastic sheds by my back door and all the toys are kept in lidded plastic tubs. I've used it for years and all the toys are fine.

One point though ... my Ofsted inspector told me that I would never get an Outstanding grading as the children don't have free access to all my toys at all times! :huh: Mind you, there was 18 inches of snow outside at the time! Personally business is going great and I'm delighted with my 'Good' but it would be something to consider for those who strive for that particular grading.

jane5
07-01-2011, 05:57 PM
I have one of those plastic sheds by my back door and all the toys are kept in lidded plastic tubs. I've used it for years and all the toys are fine.

One point though ... my Ofsted inspector told me that I would never get an Outstanding grading as the children don't have free access to all my toys at all times! :huh: Mind you, there was 18 inches of snow outside at the time! Personally business is going great and I'm delighted with my 'Good' but it would be something to consider for those who strive for that particular grading.

My pre reg inspector said to take photos of all my toys, laminate them, put hole in using hole punch and tie them together like a flip chart.

The lo's can look and tell you which toy they want to play with so having free access to all the toys. She said you woudnt be marked down for that.:thumbsup:

margaret
07-01-2011, 07:21 PM
I was graded outstanding and children do not have free accesss to all toys but they can look through a laminated book of pictures and point or ask.Toys are rotated throughout day.

Bridey
07-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the tips :thumbsup: I must admit I was contemplating doing that - I tend to forget whats in there at the bottom of the pile of boxes!

caz3007
07-01-2011, 07:32 PM
We need to seriously sort out storage here for the toys, its what gets me down the most about the job (I am lucky I have pretty good parents :) ) My hubby did say no to another shed, but we have a large garden, so need to do something. A lot of my toys are already stored in Really Useful Boxes. He did insist on a shed a while back, supposedly for our camping stuff, but he insisted on getting one that I told him wouldnt be big enough, and think its only got a few tools in it now, when the rain stops I think I need to investigate.

Whoops sorry waffling on :o

funemnx
07-01-2011, 08:07 PM
My pre reg inspector said to take photos of all my toys, laminate them, put hole in using hole punch and tie them together like a flip chart.

The lo's can look and tell you which toy they want to play with so having free access to all the toys. She said you woudnt be marked down for that.:thumbsup:

Just told hubby this and apparently we've had a laminater for years but never used it, so guess what we'll be doing next week :D

arly
07-01-2011, 10:11 PM
I had also read about the laminating idea on another thread so thats also on my to do list.....................I love this site so much :clapping: so many new ideas and tips, thank you everyone as us newbies would be lost without you. :D

Ali56
07-01-2011, 10:24 PM
I have the laminated picture book too-and an entire wall in the garage, and floor space too for all the outdoor toys....Oh and stuff hanging from the ceiling.....Drives the OH nuts!!:laughing:

MaryMary
08-01-2011, 02:28 PM
A new shed is on my wish list :D A BIG one :laughing:
I have very little storage, and get my DH to put things in the loft, & get other stuff down (I don't do ladders - especially not with stuff!!) I really need to be able to access things on my own though. I also need more resources (different toys, outdoor toys, etc) but when I look at things I think 'where will I put it?' :( My own children are bigger (youngest 12) so it is not like they want it out.
When the weather gets better, I am going down the end of a garden with a tape measure, and then I am going to do some research & some saving :panic:
I would like to get it damp-proofed, and maybe some electricity, etc - maybe a summerhouse :clapping:
My son may even get the drum kit he wants :D