PDA

View Full Version : paedophile in my street

julie w
07-01-2011, 11:17 AM
I have been told by a friend who is in the police that a paedophile has moved into my street. They have moved in opposite me. It was even in last nights local paper. I believe they cant be re homed near schools, but what about near to childminders. The thought of anyone looking at my children inc. mindees(or indeed any children) makes me feel sick. Should I feel concerned?

butterfly
07-01-2011, 11:24 AM
What an awful situation- I do feel for you.

The only positive thing I can think of is that at least you know. There maybe someone out there with those tendencies living close to any of us and we have no idea.

Just make sure your safeguarding policies and procedures are watertight.

I think I would try to make sure that they couldn't overlook my garden or into any windows where the children may be playing.

gigglinggoblin
07-01-2011, 11:30 AM
Think I would call the police and ask for advice as a registered childcare premises. I dont care if it seems unfair, the thought would make me feel sick and I wonder what your parents think

auntym
07-01-2011, 11:45 AM
I personally would seek advice and would not be happy. Only for the concern it gives you.

jelly15
07-01-2011, 11:50 AM
A similar thing happened near me about 15 years ago before I beacme a CM. A local police officer made it known to friends of friends that this man had moved into a flat around the corner, opposite a playgroup:angry: . The man was moved because his wereabouts became public knowledge and there were romours of vigilanle action. There was a petition going around, which I signed, but he was moved before it was handed in.

I would ring your local police, as gigglinggoblin suggested, if I were in your situation.

Bendy
07-01-2011, 12:29 PM
I have been told by a friend who is in the police that a paedophile has moved into my street. They have moved in opposite me. It was even in last nights local paper. I believe they cant be re homed near schools, but what about near to childminders. The thought of anyone looking at my children inc. mindees(or indeed any children) makes me feel sick. Should I feel concerned?

Did your local paper mention the street name? as this could affect your business :(

I hope the police can be of some assistance.

But as somebody mentioned earlier as least you are aware as I am sure a lot of us live nearer to one than we would like to. I was quite shocked to hear on a course I attended recently that the percentage in my Borough is quite high and seems to be rising.

ORKSIE
07-01-2011, 01:06 PM
How awful for you:(

If I were in your situation, i would give my Network/Childcare advisor a call and ask His/Her advise.

xx

miffy
07-01-2011, 01:12 PM
At least you know so you can be on your guard.

If the paper is already reporting this person's whereabouts it might be that he is moved anyway.

I would be reporting my concerns to the police, my MP, local council, NCMA and anyone else I could think of. I would be worried about the effect it might have on my business.

Miffy xx

candy cat
07-01-2011, 01:34 PM
I would get advice as if anything happened god forbid at least you could say that you took advice from this many people etc plus how will this effect your business? What a horrible situation, but all of us could be in the same situation......do we know who lives in our street?? quite a scary thought!:panic:

ORKSIE
07-01-2011, 01:47 PM
but all of us could be in the same situation......do we know who lives in our street?? quite a scary thought!:panic:

Exactly what went thru my mind:(
xx

Alibali
07-01-2011, 02:04 PM
I've been in a similar situation, but my child had contact with this man before any of us found out (he was the father of one of the neighbours and dd used to go in to the house to play with their children) everything was ok for us, but how I wish I'd known sooner, caused a lot of heartache, at least if you know you can take preventative measures, as the others have said, the unknown ones are scarier!

Bridey
07-01-2011, 02:09 PM
I would be reporting my concerns to the police, my MP, local council, NCMA and anyone else I could think of. I would be worried about the effect it might have on my business.

Miffy xx

Plus the housing association/authority who houses him.

blue bear
07-01-2011, 03:52 PM
Talk to your development worker for advise asap. You must not talk to your c/m parents about your neighbour it cam be seen as slander(crazy I know ) and you will need to advise Ofsted of your suspicions.

Not sure about not housing offenders of this sort near C/M like schools etc worth talking to police

sarak31
07-01-2011, 04:03 PM
I would talk to every one and document it all - I would have thought you need to show from a safeguarding point of view that you have done everything you can to protect the children in your care, that includes taking advice - so police, ofsted, ncma co-ordinator, local safeguarding board etc.

At the risk of being too dramatic - I'd also do a risk assessment on your premises again - including the garden to ensure that the chances of anyone getting access are minimised (ie. don't keep the bins by the back gate - offering a good leg up to get over the gate - think sometimes we do risk assessments in view of children getting out not people getting in).

Does your friend know if they have been housed there by the police or moved there of his own free will - if he has been housed there by police then make some noise, petitions etc and see if you can move them on.

Feel for you - horrible situation.

sandy64
07-01-2011, 06:32 PM
i was in the process of buying a house last summer only to be told a paedofile owned house next door he wasnt at time living there i did a lot of research with advice from you guys here too, it was also round a park and 5 mins from my primary school, but everyone police mp etc said there was nothink i could do, i decided to pull out, but my point is we both no about him and you live there theres nothink you can do to get him out but at least you no and can r.a and keep all kids safe joe bloggs may ave 1 living next door and not no anythink about it, i no this may not help you and it is horrible but at least you and locals can keep there kids safe:)

SYLVIA
07-01-2011, 08:30 PM
I would seek advice from early years or ncma etc. Although these people may not be alloed to be housed near preschools/schools but maybe childminders premises have not been thought of in these circumstances

julie w
11-01-2011, 01:24 PM
Thanks for all your replies. It was in the paper again last night. 57 year old man has over 9 years raped and abused 23 children. Why the hell he isn't still in prison I don't know. The thought of him living in my street makes me feel sick, even the thought of him looking at children that way.I WILL do something, just not sure what yet.

tracey36
11-01-2011, 01:32 PM
omg!!! thats awful the only good thing is that you have been warned so can be extra vigilant i would get in touch with someone asap though to see where you stand and if there is anything you can do

Bear23
11-01-2011, 02:00 PM
Thanks for all your replies. It was in the paper again last night. 57 year old man has over 9 years raped and abused 23 children. Why the hell he isn't still in prison I don't know. The thought of him living in my street makes me feel sick, even the thought of him looking at children that way.I WILL do something, just not sure what yet.

:angry:
surely that should warrent a life sentence??