PDA

View Full Version : what goes in learning journal and what goes in daily diary??

gemstar87
07-01-2011, 09:18 AM
Im a relatively new childminder and am just trying to get round the paperwork and get into a routine of things.

I have a 15 month old starting on Monday so want to do everything from the start.

Im stuck on learning journals and daily diaries

what goes in each and how often parents should see each one?

gigglinggoblin
07-01-2011, 11:35 AM
Daily diary I write ehat we have done, when he has slept, what he has eaten, nappy changes, anything he really liked, anything funny that happened etc etc (I like to chat!)

Learning journeys - I record significant things they have said, whenever they do something new, anything that I think is funny or wow- preferably with a photo. Have a look through your EYFS guide, under the development section with all the ages and what they should be doing will give you ideas for the sorts of things to do observations on.

There is no rule that says you cant record something in both, daily diary is for parents to see what they have been up to in their day, lj is for tracking their development.

butterfly
07-01-2011, 11:59 AM
Daily diary I write ehat we have done, when he has slept, what he has eaten, nappy changes, anything he really liked, anything funny that happened etc etc (I like to chat!)

Learning journeys - I record significant things they have said, whenever they do something new, anything that I think is funny or wow- preferably with a photo. Have a look through your EYFS guide, under the development section with all the ages and what they should be doing will give you ideas for the sorts of things to do observations on.

There is no rule that says you cant record something in both, daily diary is for parents to see what they have been up to in their day, lj is for tracking their development.

I agree! i send daily diaries home every day. ljs go home at the end of term with a short report.