PDA

View Full Version : Tips for Mum's First Visit

LucyatMCM
06-01-2011, 10:07 PM
Hi there,

I completed registration at the end of October but I've only had one person come to visit me and although it went really well they never came back to me.

I've got a mum coming to look round on Monday but the previous person has zapped my confidence. I tried to make the house clean but not too tidy. Also I don't have too many toys yet because I want to make sure I get the right ones for the child who eventually signs up (which I did say). My daughter is only 8 months so hers probably won't be of interest to the 3yr old coming on Monday. I'm worried the dinning room, which I will be using as a playroom will look a bit sparse!

Any tips?

Many thanks xxxx

sarah707
07-01-2011, 08:13 AM
Where possible I try and find out on the phone what the child likes doing so I can get out resources which interest them.

However I often find they glue themselves to their parents anyway :laughing:

How about some playdough, paper and crayons on the table and some peg puzzles and other bits to play with on the floor?

Good luck! :D

mama2three
07-01-2011, 08:19 AM
How about a trip to the toy library to pad out your toys ready for the visit? Im always nervous too , but advice on here helped me put things into perspective - you are interviewing them just as much as they are interviewing you! Good Luck x

LucyatMCM
07-01-2011, 05:23 PM
That's such a good suggestion about the toy library but ours is rubbish. I still haven't gotten the items I ordered for my daughter about the summer.

Maybe the crayons, playdough etc though would work! Thanks ladies.

jane5
07-01-2011, 05:46 PM
Have a look in the charity shops and buy any cheap toys that you see. It will fill out the toy cupboard and you will use it sometime in the future.
I buy all the toys I find if they are cheap:thumbsup:

Ask mum what lo likes to play with and that you will that you will go and buy those things

Good luck I hope things go well

Milli147
07-01-2011, 06:19 PM
Good luck, don't let the previous experience put you off - it could have been any number of reasons - another cm might just have been nearer.

Do you know any childminders or other mums who could lend you a few bits for the day? Otherwise I would just put out some paper and crayons, colouring books, or maybe pick up a few books from the library - at least it shows you've thought about it. Lots of luck!

keeks
07-01-2011, 06:40 PM
I have done what Sarah suggested, asked on the phone what the child likes. My 1 y o loves In the night garden, so I got a puzzle, a cardboard book and some little characters from the second hand shop for his visit, and he loves them.

And play dough is always a winner! :)

Good luck, I hope it works out!

xx

LucyatMCM
10-01-2011, 02:42 PM
Arghhh! An hour before they're due here she's just cancelled. I have spent all weekend preparing. Now I've got to put it all away again without having had any visit.

I have literally just been sobbing on the phone to my mum. I now have 21 days to find a customer or I'm going to have to leave my beautiful baby and go back to my desk job. I know I shouldn't get so excited about what's just an enquiry but I really, really want to stay at home!

~Grasshopper~
11-01-2011, 07:47 AM
ooohh no big hugs, i was going to ask where you live lol.

i have a 3 year old boy and a baby and far too many toys, could have dropped off a car load. xxxxxxxx

i need to find a mindee quickly aswell, im my maternity leave ends next week but ive just resigned. i would rather go bankrupt than leave my little man. He is 10mths now.

xxxxx