PDA

View Full Version : What monitors?

Noomie
06-01-2011, 08:19 PM
So after having my variation agreed and taking on an assistant, I now have a couple of babies starting in the next couple of weeks. I only have my daughter's monitor so need to get 2 more as there may be 3 little ones sleeping at the same time. My daughter's monitor is fab (lots of features) but you can only hear her. That's been fine for us. But do I get a video monitor so I can see them sleeping as well as hear them or a sensor monitor. Honestly, checking on them physically every 10-15mins doesn't sound appealing. Our floorboards upstairs are very creaky. I know that my daughter always used to wake up if I tried to check on her.

So video monitor or sensor mat?

And does it make a difference if I have these? Would I still have to physically check?

Oh and obviously cost is a consideration. I don't want to be too stingy as safety is important BUT obviously money isn't growing on the trees in the back garden.

Noomie
07-01-2011, 01:30 PM
Anyone..................?

miffy
07-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Can't really help you - have never used one of these, not even for my own children. Still prefer the physical check.

Sorry, I'm no use, didn't like to read and run.

Miffy xx

sweets
07-01-2011, 01:41 PM
can you not put the monitor out on the landing so you can hear them all?

i live in a tiny terrace and the children sleep upstairs, i dont even have a monitor and i dont check them every 10 mins!:eek: i check them about 10 mins after putting them down so i can see they are asleep then periodically i stand at the bottom of the stairs and listen. i can hear if they cry out.

mine are all toddlers tho, i think if i had a tiny baby then i would prob get a mionitor. but just a normal one.

Alibali
07-01-2011, 01:45 PM
sorry dont have one, mine all sleep downstairs where I can see them, I prefer a physical check, as not hearing anything doesn't mean all is well iyswim. Hope it works out well.

AliceK
07-01-2011, 01:45 PM
I only use normal listening monitors but then the youngest mindee I have had who has slept upstairs was a 1yr old.
I did have a visual monitor when DD was a baby and it somehow used to show up on the TV in the kitchen which was great. Not sure about the sensor ones but we were going to buy one when DD was born but the hospital lent us one instead.
When I had a young baby mindee he slept downstairs but I guess if you have 3 then they can't all sleep downstairs.

xxxx

loocyloo
07-01-2011, 02:32 PM
sorry, i don't use them. i've had 2 or 3 LO sleeping at the same time, in different places and i check them physically. ( i'd never remember who/which room was which monitor! ) i can hear them the moment they do make a noise!

clio0602
07-01-2011, 02:36 PM
TBH I think all the monitors would interfere with each other if you had more than 1.

I would put one on the landing and physically check every 10-15mins.

jane5
07-01-2011, 05:06 PM
I bought a Tommee tippie sensor pad monitor when my daughter was born (more than £100) and it worked ok but you have to be careful which mattress you use with it.
It wont work if the mattress is too thick or too thin and you cant use it with a swinging crib or a travel cot.

Read the instructions carefully

I took mine back and got a normal one:thumbsup: