PDA

View Full Version : Safety glass film to buy or not to buy ...

pinkbutterfly
06-01-2011, 05:04 PM
I have two sets of internal double french doors in my house as well as two sets of external double doors with a lot of glass in it. It has not occurred to me before really even though I have done a RA of everything in the house ... the question is do we HAVE TO have the safety film on all glass or is this optional?
I have 3 children of my own and it has never been a problem. We do not play ball games indoors and I really can't see how the glass would break and hurt the child unless it is punched by the child itself. I supervise children at all times of course. I have put that in my RA but is this enough?

Chatterbox Childcare
06-01-2011, 05:11 PM
As long as it is safety glass (will have the monogram on it) you do not need any film. I have french doors and was told to put stickers on the glass to highlight the door but I don't and they don't walk into it. Doesn't stop the sticky fingers though :laughing:

Mummits
06-01-2011, 05:22 PM
...I thought the sticky finger marks were a safety feature!

rickysmiths
06-01-2011, 05:23 PM
I have just had two sets of new French doors and the glass has the Kite Mark on it so it doesn't need film. All modern glass doors are supposed to have safety glass in them as Debbie says they will be marked and Ofsted will look for the marks.

miffy
06-01-2011, 05:39 PM
I agree with the others - check the glass in your french doors is safety glass, as long as it is you should be fine.

Miffy xx

pinkbutterfly
06-01-2011, 05:46 PM
It is not safety glass. Just cheap doors from B&Q. Each has 15 rectangles in glass so I will need to buy and cut 60 rectangles :panic:
The exterior are toughened glass so I guess I'm fine with those.

miffy
06-01-2011, 05:48 PM
It is not safety glass. Just cheap doors from B&Q. Each has 15 rectangles in glass so I will need to buy and cut 60 rectangles :panic:

In that case I think you will have to use safety film - at least for the low level panels that lo's can reach.

Think I'd call Ofsted just to clarify.

Miffy xx

Joda
06-01-2011, 06:36 PM
At my first initial Ofsted inspection, the inspector told me I must have safety film over my internal glass doors.
It was a pain to do but it was checked at my following inspection.

mama2three
06-01-2011, 06:45 PM
Is it one of these?
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9976490&fh_view_size=10&fh_sort_order=1&fh_sort_by=_price_rrp_min&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&fh_search=internal+glazed+door&fh_eds=%c3%9f&fh_refview=search&ts=1294339287343&isSearch=true

if so then where it says it complies with bs6206a this means it is toughened glass. It would need to be a fairly old door not to comply. hth

rickysmiths
06-01-2011, 06:50 PM

I thought all low level glass doors had, by law now, to have safety glass in. However cheap or expensive.

Would you be able to board the bottom of the doors rather than stick on so much expensive film?

Bridey
06-01-2011, 06:55 PM
When I bought my house six years ago I contacted the local builder's merchants to inquire as to whether my internal French door contained safety glass or not (my house was newly renovated). I was told it is now illegal for it not to be and was given a brochure from a door manufacturer stating that. Apparently they don't put kite marks on small squares of glass - something to do with the cost? This explanation has satisfied two Ofsted inspectors since although I do hold the hallway door back against with a safety catch whilst working (mainly to protect fingers really).

MaryMary
06-01-2011, 06:56 PM
At my first initial Ofsted inspection, the inspector told me I must have safety film over my internal glass doors.
It was a pain to do but it was checked at my following inspection.

Same here. Mrs O checked the glass in our TV unit, the hall mirror & the double glazed front door. The front door is quite old (here when I moved in 17 years ago!) & although it had a kite mark, it didn't have the right number. I had to get film for all of these items. I think individual squares are easier than one large area though (speaking from experience!:laughing: )

I got safety film on the internet (can't remember which site, but googled it). You can buy it by the metre, so can get as much or as little as you need. Much cheaper than Mothercare!!

I used to have glass interior doors (pre childminding) & one stressful morning (monday, kids fighting, washing machine leaking all over the floor, getting ready for school, etc!) I pushed the door (quite hard, but just pushed with my hands) and the glass just cracked & broke, narrowly missing my DS sitting on the sofa on the other side :eek: :eek: I needed steri strips on my nose, but the sharp bit missed my eyes :thumbsup: Long story short - don't risk it, get the film, it is not too expensive if you shop round :)

pinkbutterfly
06-01-2011, 09:38 PM
Thank you for your help. I have emailed B&Q asking at what point in time they started putting toughened glass in their internal doors. I have looked at the ones on the website and they are all toughened now.
I will however buy some film and stick it to two bottom rows on all my doors. BTW will it show?

MaryMary
06-01-2011, 10:05 PM
I will however buy some film and stick it to two bottom rows on all my doors. BTW will it show?

That depends on how well you put it on :D
It is a bit fiddly, but as I said, small areas are easier. I have a full length mirror in my hall, and there are a couple of tiny air bubbles. They don't really show, but i know they are there :p Try not to get any dust under the film.

Ali56
07-01-2011, 12:43 AM
Same here. Mrs O checked the glass in our TV unit, the hall mirror & the double glazed front door. The front door is quite old (here when I moved in 17 years ago!) & although it had a kite mark, it didn't have the right number. I had to get film for all of these items. I think individual squares are easier than one large area though (speaking from experience!:laughing: )

I got safety film on the internet (can't remember which site, but googled it). You can buy it by the metre, so can get as much or as little as you need. Much cheaper than Mothercare!!

I used to have glass interior doors (pre childminding) & one stressful morning (monday, kids fighting, washing machine leaking all over the floor, getting ready for school, etc!) I pushed the door (quite hard, but just pushed with my hands) and the glass just cracked & broke, narrowly missing my DS sitting on the sofa on the other side :eek: :eek: I needed steri strips on my nose, but the sharp bit missed my eyes :thumbsup: Long story short - don't risk it, get the film, it is not too expensive if you shop round :)

Agreed. My cousins son is blind in one eye due to a freak accident no-one ever thought could happen. Don't risk it if there is doubt.

AliceK
07-01-2011, 10:31 AM
I bought some to put on the glass door on our TV cabinet, OH put it on and it was a real pain to do and looks rubbish tbh. Does anyone know if you can get it for raised / bubbled glass as I have panels either side of my front door which I need to do but OH says you can't put it on bubbled glass??? (I think he just doesn't want to do it :laughing: )

xxxxx