PDA

View Full Version : Scrap the playroom?

snufflepuff
06-01-2011, 04:57 PM
I have a lovely playroom upstairs- large, bright and airy with lots of storage space and washable floors. Everyone comments on how great it is. But we hardly ever use it. Not only is it a pain getting 3 one year olds up and down the stairs, once we get up there it is mayhem! There are just so many toys all in one place that the children go crazy, they get out as many as possible but dont actually play with anything. It works much better when I bring things downstairs for them. I already have quite a bit permanently downstairs and rotate what i bring down from the playroom.
It seems like such a waste of what could be a very big bedroom for my son. Hes fine in the small room for now but when he gets older he will want and need his own space. Plus i'd like another baby one day so will need all three bedrooms.
Do you think it would be stupid of me to get rid of the playroom?
I have space for storage in the hallway and can use the small bedroom for storage until the time comes that we need to use it as a bedroom (a few years yet at least). Can put shelves in the shed or garage if neccessary too.

gegele
06-01-2011, 05:03 PM
sound to me like you already made up your mind :thumbsup:

good luck with the moving of the toys!:D

michellethegooner
06-01-2011, 05:04 PM
if it isn't working then I would be tempted to scrap it, but then if you have the room (lucky you) I never have enough room even if my 2 kids moved out and I used their bedrooms I would prob still run out of space always something I am trying to buy :rolleyes:

Only you will know whats best, if you can store all the resources elsewhere, and you don't actually use it then it does seem a bit pointless, I would be tempted to keep it as a playroom until you decide ur lo is ready for a bigger room or you have another baby

rickysmiths
06-01-2011, 05:14 PM
Until the summer when we had a big extension built in all the 17yrs I have been a cm I have not had the luxury of a playroom.

I have always had to use our sitting room.

I have always used a shed and/or a garage for extra storage, until this summer when the garage was demolished. But I do have a lot more storage inndoors now. I bought my shed 5 years ago and put the cost down on my expenses.

I do know of some childminders who use rented garages or self storage units and claim on expenses.

Stormy
06-01-2011, 05:30 PM
I too have an upstairs room which I thought pre childminding would be a playroom, but logistically it just didnt work was a bit cramped with three kids in there. Also kids would just pull everything out, its now storage and two cots in there and I rotate toys downstairs and the older ones go and choose what they would like to play with.

miffy
06-01-2011, 05:35 PM
If it's not working for you then I'd change things round and let your son have the bigger bedroom. As you say you can use the smaller room for storage now.

Miffy xx

miss mopple
06-01-2011, 05:58 PM
I was in exactly the same situation a few years ago. I gave up my playroom, moved DD2 into it and commandeered the cupboard under the stairs and the shed for storage.

It wasnt enough and didnt really work, so now we have converted our lounge into a lounge/diner and I have the dining room as a playroom. It isn't ideal but it works for us and means I can shut the door on it all at the end of the day :thumbsup:

I also rent a garage for extra storage :)

Dragonfly
06-01-2011, 07:41 PM
Id say scrap it and keep it for your son.The more toys you have the more children will get out and not play with. Id say do what you are doing now.

Louise0208
06-01-2011, 08:21 PM
i survive without a playroom, we were going to convert the garage into one but will only hoard more toys & the children are happy running wild around the house!

another point is if the children had access to all the toys in 1 room it would like a bomb went off in Toysrus within an hour!! :panic:

Noomie
06-01-2011, 08:23 PM
I've seen this happen. A playroom with loads of toys that just get emptied on the floor then move on to the next thing. Not sitting and playing with just one thing. I keep the bulk of mine upstairs in my DD's room and then rotate them. Much better. I think give your DS the room.