PDA

View Full Version : Storage

Daddy Day Care
06-01-2011, 01:38 PM
Sick of having toy boxes, and piles of toys all over my lviing room, so looking for reccomendations of storage units. It has to look nice as will be in my living room at all times, has to be large, and has to be cheap, so im not asking for too much :)

Been loking the past hour and everyitme i see one i like the reviews say how small it is, so cmon ladies and gents what have you got and what would you reccomend.

Gareth
xxxx

Mookins
06-01-2011, 01:41 PM
TROFAST FROM IKEA:clapping:

im now saving up for these xx

Chimps Childminding
06-01-2011, 01:43 PM
The expedit range at Ikea is great!

I have the Argos storage units (had them for years - so cant warrant paying out more for the Ikea ones :( ) - they do it in a 4 or 6 slot size. They are untreated pine, so can be painted (tho not as hard wearing then I don't think) or varnished (like mine :) ) Normal plastic stacking boxes fit in - but you could invest in some nice wicker ones instead!!

rickysmiths
06-01-2011, 01:43 PM
TROFAST FROM IKEA:clapping:

im now saving up for these xx

I agree I have these on one wall of the playroom. I had Billy Bookcases when everything was in my living room.

Louise0208
06-01-2011, 01:45 PM
i like my house to look like a home & not a nursery aswell so im off to Ikea on saturday to buy a sideboard to match our brown-black furniture....perfect for what i need :thumbsup:

we also have a leather storage pouffee & iv a double kitchen cupboard for all the crafts & babies toys that are not used all the time :)

snufflepuff
06-01-2011, 01:47 PM
I have an expedit unit in my lounge and love it! Im saving for another one to go in the hall. It works out fairly expensive when you buy the basket to go in it but i think the plastic containers are cheaper- and all in all its still cheaper than some other options.

flowerpots
06-01-2011, 01:48 PM
i have trofast in my playroom but going to get this for my living room and add some nice baskets:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/80071357

think they look great and relatively cheap:thumbsup:

Polly2
06-01-2011, 01:48 PM
Go to Ikea! :thumbsup:

ORKSIE
06-01-2011, 01:53 PM
Think I may be orff to Ikea :thumbsup:

Chimps Childminding
06-01-2011, 01:54 PM
I brought the drona boxes and they were £2.99 each :D

June got these!! They seem to have stopped doing as many colours now - used to blue, but now it only seems to be black or pink :rolleyes:

I would love one, but can't convince dh that the old Argos ones I have need replacing :( Trouble is he can sand them down and re-varnish them so they come up looking newish again :angry:

Rubybubbles
06-01-2011, 01:57 PM
ll kea here too! so many storage choices in there! I have loads of the expedit range:blush: but still not enough!

debbie
06-01-2011, 02:00 PM
i dont have storage as such in my lounge i have a toy box which came flat pack from argos and you just put together and paint or gloss to what ever colour. my main storage is just outside my back door and is very big its by kettler it cost me £99 but at least everything is out of sight and when i'm finished childminding i'll have storage for garden furniture. diff worth it. good luck on your hunt.

pinkbutterfly
06-01-2011, 02:06 PM
I have just bought expedit bookcase for my daughter and it is fab! I bought the biggest one. This one http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/60071358
however the sale was on and unit was priced at £99 not at £131.74. The sale finishes on 13th Jan I think so if your ikea is like mine they may have the same sale on.

candy cat
06-01-2011, 02:08 PM
I have a huge wicker basket (like a giant picnic hamper) all the general toys go in that then i have a trofast under the stairs plus 2 units in the playroom.....that have boxes and then book storage at top....they are fab!

pinkbutterfly
06-01-2011, 02:08 PM
Oops ikea sale is till 16th and if you go on the website you can choose your local store and see a list of discounted furniture.

charleyfarley
06-01-2011, 02:14 PM
We have the Argos ones in the playroom and storeroom like Carolyn, they are sturdy and have had them for 6 years so far.

I would have the Ikea ones though if I needed storage in the living room though :thumbsup:

Carol xx

arly
06-01-2011, 02:23 PM
Wow what a transformation! Ive just started out and really dont have any spare storage at all...was actually thinking of investing in a shed to use as storage but unsure what affect that would have on toys etc....any ideas?

MrsShell
06-01-2011, 02:23 PM
I've also got the Trofast units from Ikea in my lounge.

They are really sturdy and don't look out of place. I opted for the slightly opaque boxes and not the coloured ones, so they will fit in with any decor if I decide to change it!

Saving up to get some more for my dining room now.

Michelle x

snufflepuff
06-01-2011, 02:25 PM
I have just bought expedit bookcase for my daughter and it is fab! I bought the biggest one. This one http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/60071358
however the sale was on and unit was priced at £99 not at £131.74. The sale finishes on 13th Jan I think so if your ikea is like mine they may have the same sale on.

Oh dear....I wonder if i can persuade DP to go to ikea at the weekend?! We could fit the larger one in our hallway. credit card?!

Daddy Day Care
06-01-2011, 02:29 PM
wow thanks for all the replies, im getting the feeling i really need to pop to ikea, no idea where the nearest one is never been, got a feelig it might be milton keynes.

Gareth
xxxx

clio0602
06-01-2011, 02:40 PM
This is my toyroom then and now :thumbsup:

WOW I want I want :jump for joy:

Off to the ikea website and to get my tape measure!! :D

Hmmm the white ones are slightly cheaper

mummyof3
06-01-2011, 02:54 PM
Ikea is the best place without a doubt. My childrens bedrooms are filled with the storage tubs and units and so is the playroom. Look fine in living room we have some for all the crappy paperwork :rolleyes:

singingcactus
06-01-2011, 03:00 PM
For those of you who have the expedit series, these toy box/seat fit perfectly into each space Ben 10 (http://www.tkqlhce.com/click-4274914-5590799?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.argos.co.uk%2Fstatic% 2FProduct%2FpartNumber%2F0178262.htm). It has to be the alien force ones though - the others are a little smaller.
I know they are £10 but they do double up very well as seats, they have little pockets on one side, and handles on both sides that you can label if you feel the need.
That maybe doesn't help you daddy daycare but you could attach a small curtain rod at the top and have a drape covering it maybe.

I wouldn't go for the ikea plastic boxes, DH was building one the other day, he broke it...as he does, but it cracked into a blade sharp piece and cut open his arm.

miffy
06-01-2011, 03:17 PM
Ikea trofat here too! :thumbsup:

Still not enough to house everything though - wish I had room for the expedit too.

Miffy xx

Beetlejuice
06-01-2011, 03:51 PM
Ikea Trofast here :thumbsup: I had two weeks off the summer of 2009 and totally redid my storage in my lounge/dining room/understairs cupboard and have not looked back. It looks fab, is easily accessible and sturdy (the tall units DH has attached to the wall just in case!) I bought 2 tall units, 3 shorter units and a stepped unit and I think I spent about £250-300 ish. It was a lot of outlay but will last a long time - I have 39 storage boxes inside!. I've got the opaque white boxes to go inside so v neutral.