PDA

View Full Version : multicultural treasure basket?

butterfly
06-01-2011, 12:01 PM
Following from a few threads here today about what multicultural resources to have I was wondering about a treasure basket with a multicultural theme? I was thinking about different materials/patterns etc, multicultural cooking equipment eg chopsticks, metal curry dish etc, music instruments etc - that's as far as I got! Any one think this would work? It would be best for younger children but I think that's good as it's often hard to find suitable resources for them.

It's hard to have multiculural/disability resources just 'in' with the rest I think unless they're part of a set ie different race people in the dolls house etc.

mufftie
06-01-2011, 12:08 PM
i love the idea of putting multicultral items in a treasure basket but im not too sure about separating them , to me thats making an 'issue ' out of the different cultures and could cause children to wonder why they are not together as 'one' , you wouldnt separate the ethnic dolls from the white ones

just my opinion but i am going to have to go and get some chopstick etc for mine , thanks for the idea

butterfly
06-01-2011, 12:10 PM
[QUOTE=mufftie;842580]im not too sure about separating them , to me thats making an 'issue ' out of the different cultures and could cause children to wonder why they are not together as 'one'

That's what I was a bit worried about too - maybe I should just add the multicultural items to an exisiting basket? The trouble is I have all my contents seperated into 'themes' but maybe I should just take the plunge and buy a bigger basket and chuck them all in!!

miffy
06-01-2011, 12:15 PM
Puppets; Small world figures - Happyland have a set of figures in different costumes; books either with multicultural images or dual language; food items (or just the packaging) so they can see the different languages.

HTH's

Miffy xx

flowerpots
06-01-2011, 01:40 PM
i think a multi cultural treasure basket is a fab idea, and i dont think you need to 'seperate' the resources because you can add in white/english resources too, its still multi cultural. my children are mixed race (white,black and greek) they both have boxes of things we collect from all their different cultures, i think they would find it quite strange if we didnt add the white/english part too. :D