PDA

View Full Version : A new baby and I mean NEW

claire'scherubs
06-01-2011, 11:25 AM
Little girl born on Boxing Day, will I look after now, GULP!!!!!

I know that sounds very earlier, but the poor mum didn't even know she was pregnant and gave birth on the bathroom floor:eek: :eek: :eek:

Been under the Dr for ages cause she has been ill and even the Drs didnt pick it up:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Can you imagine it, bit scary for me though, this is a very young baby

mama2three
06-01-2011, 11:33 AM
wow thats young = but what a lovely bond you will be able to build. Tiny babies are actually relatively easy much of the time - so sleepy!!

Chimps Childminding
06-01-2011, 11:35 AM
Wow I thought the one I had at 6 weeks was young :eek: Are you going to do it??????????????????

marnieb
06-01-2011, 11:39 AM
WOW!! :eek: I take it it's her first?? As long as you think you can manage ( and as mama2three says, it will sleep most of the time!) - then I don't see why not.

Bridey
06-01-2011, 11:40 AM
Woah! Is the mother not entitled to maternity leave and payment, even if she didn't know she was pregnant? I feel very sorry for her - she really needs to take some time to get used to the idea that this baby has come along and to bond with it rather than carry on as normal almost pretending all this hasn't happened :(

It sounds to me she is severely lacking in social and emotional support here :(

mufftie
06-01-2011, 11:49 AM
aaww i would definately the younger the better for me , good luck

miffy
06-01-2011, 11:52 AM
Little girl born on Boxing Day, will I look after now, GULP!!!!!

I know that sounds very earlier, but the poor mum didn't even know she was pregnant and gave birth on the bathroom floor:eek: :eek: :eek:

Been under the Dr for ages cause she has been ill and even the Drs didnt pick it up:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Can you imagine it, bit scary for me though, this is a very young baby

Blimey, poor mum that must have come as quite a shock BUT it does sound as though she's trying to carry on as if she hasn't had a baby :panic:

Surely she would get some maternity leave even a few weeks so she could adjust to actually being a mum?

Let us know what you decide to do

Miffy xx

maryp0ppins
06-01-2011, 11:52 AM
wowwee

Now that is a little baby. What a shame mother has to leave him/her so soon.

As others have said the bond will be great, they do sleep a lot so young.

I think if i was in the position to take a LO on then I would take this LO in!!

Good luck, keep us posted XX

kindredspirits
06-01-2011, 12:02 PM
I think its illegal to ask for someone to work under 4 weeks sice giving birth??
I'd do it in a flash tbh - just make sure you have a safe place for such a young baby to sleep and that you take regular, recorded checks when sleeping as cot death is a risk at such a young age.

ajs
06-01-2011, 12:03 PM
wow i'd say yes like a shot

but i do agree it does seem a bit unfair to mum to expect her to carry on regardless

my youngest ever was 5 weeks still have her 3 and a half years later and love her to bits

clio0602
06-01-2011, 12:03 PM
I would love to have a tiny baby to mind. Would stop me being broody and you can always hand them back at the end of the day lol

Although it does sound like the mum is in denial and should spend some time with the baby to bond. Can't imagine what she went/ is going through :(

Let us know your decision x

butterfly
06-01-2011, 12:06 PM
Ahhhh! I would say yes. It sounds like this mum is going to need a lot of support as she comes to term with it all but you could be the person that is able this family so that things turn out well in the end. It could be very rewarding to help these two and you would be a stable place for this young baby to be - just give some thought to how you might cope with being this family's pillar of strength though!

snufflepuff
06-01-2011, 12:13 PM
Wow, i'd jump at the chance!

Kindred, I think it's 2 weeks minimum time off? May have changed though. I think even that is too soon. When my son was 2 weeks old I was only just making it out of the bedroom each day!

claire'scherubs
06-01-2011, 12:16 PM
Some good points and yes I think I would love to take it on.

Mum is only 18 and at university, and they have said she can only take 3 weeks off, but she is looking into trying to take some sort of maternity, cause she is still going to have lots of sleepless nights with feeding etc.

She is getting support from her Mum and Dad, as they want to keep the child, although initially she didn't (all such a big shock for them)

From what I can gather Mum and Dad are going to take over legal guardinship, so they can claim all the benefits possible to support their daughter and granddaughter, and then hopefully Mum can continue her university studies.

Came to me on a recommendation, love that

Louise0208
06-01-2011, 12:20 PM
when i had my last (2 years ago) it was 2 weeks.

i had to return to work within 2 weeks of birth when i had my eldest 1 as i only worked part time, didnt qualify for MA or any benefits, we couldnt afford any unpaid time off as the mortgage needed paying & we were already skint lol

id jump at the chance :thumbsup:

Louise0208
06-01-2011, 12:22 PM

Mum is only 18 and at university, and they have said she can only take 3 weeks off, but she is looking into trying to take some sort of maternity, cause she is still going to have lots of sleepless nights with feeding etc.

She is getting support from her Mum and Dad, as they want to keep the child, although initially she didn't (all such a big shock for them)

From what I can gather Mum and Dad are going to take over legal guardinship, so they can claim all the benefits possible to support their daughter and granddaughter, and then hopefully Mum can continue her university studies.

its great she has a supportive family :thumbsup: id like to think if either of my daughters got them self in the same situation i could do the same :)

Bridey
06-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Bless her! It is so reassuring to hear that she is getting the help and support she needs, thank goodness. What a lovely family and what an ordeal to go through. I don't think I could resist helping out on this one. Good luck!

MaryMary
06-01-2011, 12:25 PM
I would jump at the chance of a little baby - especially one I can give back :laughing:
She is the same age as my daughter, who has also just started uni!
I hope she is ok :)
Good luck & keep us posted :thumbsup:

VINASOL
06-01-2011, 12:44 PM

Wow, what great parents she has; she is very lucky indeed. Hope she does well and of course the baby; enjoy it. Well done on the recommendation :clapping:

The Juggler
06-01-2011, 02:19 PM

omw what a shock for the whole family. you will love having such a teeny and you can be a huge influence for a teenage mum

Ripeberry
06-01-2011, 02:33 PM
Woah! Is the mother not entitled to maternity leave and payment, even if she didn't know she was pregnant? I feel very sorry for her - she really needs to take some time to get used to the idea that this baby has come along and to bond with it rather than carry on as normal almost pretending all this hasn't happened :(

It sounds to me she is severely lacking in social and emotional support here :(

She needs to speak to her boss very quickly about this. She needs time off to bond, not keep going into work. She must be in shock the poor thing :(

Blaze
06-01-2011, 02:36 PM
Aww bless (them both - poor Mum)! The youngest i have had was 2 weeks & I LOVED it - v. selfishly would love to care for a young baby again!:blush:

Pixie dust
06-01-2011, 04:01 PM
I started looking after a 2 week old in Nov 3 days a week, little sister to the one I mind already. I love looking after her but can be a struggle on a monday when I have baby plus a 1 year old and 26 months old. Keeps me busy. Mondays I have to be organised or everything goes to pot.

gegele
06-01-2011, 04:03 PM
aaawwwww i'd LOVE a tiny one especially today as my DS went 1.5h to nursery...i feel broody LOL but i don't want a number3 so mindee a tiny would be the perfect medicine LOL

good luck

kindredspirits
06-01-2011, 04:18 PM
I take it mum is in the same area as her parents and you for Uni?? It seems harsh but perhaps uni are worried about her falling further behind if she takes time off before the year finishes?
My stepson is in his first year of uni and already living virtually full time with his girlfriend of about 4 months - i am paranoid that something like this will happen to him - hope mum's ok.

MaryMary
06-01-2011, 07:24 PM
I think it was very lucky she had the baby on Boxing day when she was at home!! Imagine if she had given birth at Uni :eek: :eek:

claire'scherubs
06-01-2011, 08:54 PM
I take it mum is in the same area as her parents and you for Uni?? It seems harsh but perhaps uni are worried about her falling further behind if she takes time off before the year finishes?
My stepson is in his first year of uni and already living virtually full time with his girlfriend of about 4 months - i am paranoid that something like this will happen to him - hope mum's ok.

Not really sure what uni she is at, but there isn't many close by, which will be hard I am sure

claire'scherubs
11-01-2011, 10:11 PM
Well I am getting to meet the Grandmother tomorrow, so all will become clearer. I am assuming that being as she is coming to meet me then everything has been organised and the poor Mum has got to go back to Uni very soon.

I am really excited about the prospect but also a little bit scared