PDA

View Full Version : Language!!

Elfin
05-01-2011, 06:40 PM
Hi all,

One of my children said mucked today then started to change the first letter and the inevetable came out of a three year old! Unfortunately was then repeated over and over at loud volume. Obviously still not aware this was a bad word. I kind of ignored it and distracted them with toys and things to do but this word kept coming out every so often. I am not sure how to deal with it some advice please!! As I don't want any of the other children copying!!

Thanks

mufftie
05-01-2011, 06:52 PM
if ignoring it at first didnt work then they need to be told what they had said was wrong and then told that they will have to do time out should they say it again good luck children often just think its funny

Mrs Pootle
05-01-2011, 06:54 PM
I think I would ignore it too, the less attention drawn to the word the better.

Have you told the parents? I would, just to cover yourself, you don't want it being repeated at home and the child saying they heard it at yours:eek:

mummyofone
05-01-2011, 08:36 PM
If ignoring it didn't work then i would tell that the word they are using isn't a nice one and they shouldn't say it again.

I would also tell the parents like another member said, you don't want to get the blame for them using this word at home. Also the parents maybe more influential to get them not to use it again.

Elfin
09-01-2011, 01:40 PM
Hi,
Thanks for your advice. I think that the child was just exploring sounds and those particular sounds came up! Thankfully did not get repeated again at all last week and I did inform parents of the situation. It was a really scary day though!!!

Carol M
09-01-2011, 04:07 PM
I have one that delights in saying..... Fork..... over and over again very quickly. Also... Clock....... at the same speed! It's really hard not to laugh but have managed to stifle my giggles and ignore it!
Carol xx

The Juggler
09-01-2011, 04:12 PM
Hi all,

One of my children said mucked today then started to change the first letter and the inevetable came out of a three year old! Unfortunately was then repeated over and over at loud volume. Obviously still not aware this was a bad word. I kind of ignored it and distracted them with toys and things to do but this word kept coming out every so often. I am not sure how to deal with it some advice please!! As I don't want any of the other children copying!!

Thanks

change the one they are stuck on with a rhyming game i.e. say ducked, lucked etc and hope one of them sticks as the favorite. worth a try if not and they keep saying it I think you might have to say that isn't a nice word:(

Ripeberry
09-01-2011, 04:21 PM
My 2yr old mindee does not talk much, but he seems to have a very acute ear for swear words :mad: We all have to be so careful as he will pick it up and shout it out.
But will he say 'ball' or 'cup' no way :rolleyes:

miffy
09-01-2011, 04:32 PM
I agree it's best ignored if possible but if it carries on you might have to explain that it's not a word you repeat, although that might make it even more attractive to a 3yo :rolleyes:

Miffy xx

mamasheshe
09-01-2011, 05:49 PM
my youngest is called frankie (Francesca) when my oldest started school and they learn t about rhyming things she insisted on changing the F to a W just ignored it however hard it was

jane5
09-01-2011, 06:43 PM
my ds used to call the fat controller, the fu*king cola. We tried over and over to teach him how to pronounce it but he just couldn't say it.

I just had to ignore all the disapproving looks I would get when he said it :blush:

MaryMary
09-01-2011, 06:47 PM
my ds used to call the fat controller, the fu*king cola. We tried over and over to teach him how to pronounce it but he just couldn't say it.

I just had to ignore all the disapproving looks I would get when he said it :blush:

:laughing: :laughing:
I would just ban him from watching Thomas! :D

mamasheshe
09-01-2011, 07:34 PM
dd also used to call Fifi flower tot feces "can we watch feces ? "