PDA

View Full Version : hi need some advise have i got right all advise appreciated

matty199
05-01-2011, 01:37 PM
Hi
looking for some advise on my plans

thinking of setting up a home child minding service mainly as im out of work and 2 daughters require full time child care aged 1year 10months
my question is this
i can look after and be paid to child mind my grandchildren providing im registered and able to look after other children is this correct?

they would get tax credits to pay me

if im right what stops me just being expensive so nobody else comes to me

the way i understand it, is that i would be acting within all the rules is that correct

advise appreciated
regards

Bridey
05-01-2011, 02:46 PM
We are discussing this in another thread and its a bit unclear at the moment about the tax credit situation. You would be best to check with the tax credit people directly on that one.

You will need to find out what other childminder's are charging in your area to remain competitive. Get your daughter to ask around other mum's to see what other childminders and nursery's are charging them, she is well placed to get this information for you. Once you are registered and get to know other local childminder then it is something you ask each other from time to time.

Minstrel
05-01-2011, 02:50 PM
Hi
looking for some advise on my plans

thinking of setting up a home child minding service mainly as im out of work and 2 daughters require full time child care aged 1year 10months
my question is this
i can look after and be paid to child mind my grandchildren providing im registered and able to look after other children is this correct?

they would get tax credits to pay me

the way i understand it, is that i would be acting within all the rules is that correct

advise appreciated
regards

If I understand you correctly, then you are trying to find a loophole in the law, no?

You have to be inspected and graded by Ofsted within 6 months of reg'ing and then every 3 yrs. Ofsted to not allow relations to be included as mindees for the purposes of an inspection and this may be where you come unstuck.

Helen79
05-01-2011, 03:19 PM
I posted about this on the other thread, the tax credits say that parent's can claim the tax credits as long as the relative who is caring for their children is doing the childcare in their own home and is registered.
I suppose if you advertise yourself as a childminder it's up to you which children you take on to look after so Ofsted can't prove that you're doing this just so your daughters can claim tax credits. You'd only be allowed to look after 3 x under 5year olds anyway so you'd only have 1 space free which may be difficult to fill anyway with so many childminders having a quiet spell atm.

wrt the ofsted inspection, I think if you can prove that the children are with you long term and you have all the relevant paperwork and you haven't just got them that day for the inspection it should be fine but obviously you'd have to check with ofsted.

matty199
05-01-2011, 04:25 PM
im not looking for a loophole in the law
if my research is correct and please inform me if you think im wrong the following is correcr and legal and working within the frame work laid down

1.register as childminder ect
2.childmind full time my 2 young grandchildren taking payment from my daughters
3.they can claim assistance through working tax credits(if they qualify)
4.any spaces left i have im within my rights to charge what i like(otherwise it would be a cartel and illegal)
5.please advise what is wrong with that it seems legal with the guidlines from tax credits
6.sure i not the only person here thinking of doing childminding full time for grandchildren and getting paid
appreciate any views

Daftbat
05-01-2011, 05:01 PM
I think it all sounds fine to me. You will be doing a job and earning money and your family will be helped too. As a self employed business you can take on whatever business you want to regardless of your charges - just because you have a space you don't have to fill it.

I would speak to Ofsted and take it from there - good luck:thumbsup:

Bridey
05-01-2011, 05:04 PM
Well, it looks like you've answered your own questions there and don't really need our help at all :)

matty199
05-01-2011, 05:26 PM
would be interested in others considering getting paid to look after grandchildren

regards

LisaMcNally09
05-01-2011, 05:30 PM
I think the problem is you can't be inspected with relatives and I'm not sure how long your reg will be valid without an inspection, you definately need to clarify this with ofsted.

Everything else is fully legal as far as I can tell

the happy house
05-01-2011, 05:33 PM
It sounds as though you would be absolutely fine doing what you have suggested, but I wonder if you are aware of all the work involved in being a childminder?

If your grandchildren are under 5 you will have to work within the EYFS framework, meaning planning, observations and assessments will need to be done regularly. You will need to show that the activities etc you provide can support children's development and reference them to the EYFS. You will have to attend introductory training, first aid training too. Your house may need to be modified to comply with welfare regulations.
Despite the children being your grandchildren, contracts will have to be written, policies devised and risk assessments done.
You will need public liability insurance, house insurance that covers you for childminding (and relevant car insurance).
You will need to register as being self employed, completing tax returns etc.

It isn't as simple as just registering to look after children, it really is a very involved process and can take several months just to become accepted by ofsted, and that's before you've even started the job.

Not intending to put you off, just letting you know what a serious commitment it actually is. Oh, and you don't need to price yourself out of the market, you can take on what children you choose and as many as you choose (within ofsted's approval numbers), so you can just take on your grandchildren if you wish.

matty199
05-01-2011, 05:37 PM
somebody said when you are inspected you cant have relatives
is that right?
what if you cant get anybody else would they remove your abaility to be a childminder
seems a bit wrong to me

kel1983
05-01-2011, 05:42 PM
I have been asked to childmind my sisters children so done a bit of research and found a document published my HMRC and on it it says

the relative must be a registered childminder and the childminder must care for at least one other child that is not a related to them

Hope this is of some help to you

pinkbutterfly
05-01-2011, 06:17 PM
the relative must be a registered childminder and the childminder must care for at least one other child that is not a related to them

I was just about to say that. But it doesn't have to be at the same time ... you could do a school drop off or pick up one day a week for example.

WRT inspections I have seen some reports of childminders who only had family members at the time of inspection. It just said couldn't be graded due to childminder looking after family only and given satisfactory. I think they went through paperwork and checked it tho.

the happy house
05-01-2011, 06:20 PM
oops... apologies... seems I gave wrong information. Didn't realise you had to look after others if caring for relatives.

carol cameron
05-01-2011, 06:21 PM
I know a grandma who is a registered childminder. She told me that Ofsted had said she must care for at least one other child who isn't a family member or she would lose her registration.This was last year so unless things have changed this may be the case. Surely worth a phone call to ask Ofsted?
Good luck with it all:)

sweets
05-01-2011, 06:24 PM
i know someone who minds her grandchildren and a none related child, on the day of her inspection her mindee was off ill so she just had her grandchild, she just didn't tell the inspector that and got graded good.

sandy64
05-01-2011, 06:34 PM
hi i no someone who registered as a childminder just to have her 2 grandchildren so her daughter could get help with her child care, she has registered but she didnt expect to have to do eyfs etc ofsted have said she has to so bare that in mind:) she can have 1 other lo or older kids but doesnt want them. as for being expensive what you charge is up to you but tax credit will still only pay out so much so if you charge ie £40 a day instead of£30 she probably not get as much help??????? :)

VINASOL
05-01-2011, 06:42 PM
i know someone who minds her grandchildren and a none related child, on the day of her inspection her mindee was off ill so she just had her grandchild, she just didn't tell the inspector that and got graded good.

I'm sorry but that is just unfair...(and YES I would report her) from someone who has just had her inspection today...and the work and effort that has gone into not only looking after these children but the courses, training and sheer hard work that goes into that.

Am I the only one slightly perturbed by the original post? (no offence intended).

Minstrel
05-01-2011, 06:46 PM
No you're not. :)

Bridey
05-01-2011, 07:02 PM
No you're not! I'm glad these Ofsted rules are in place to try and retain the integrity of those of us who are professional and dedicated childcarers and not just trying to work the system.

matty199
05-01-2011, 07:25 PM
i will be following the rules all the way
breaking nothing
and not working the system
just reading it and following it

matty199
05-01-2011, 07:29 PM
if i work within the framework of the system
how can i be working the system
its legal im breaking no rules

Helen79
05-01-2011, 07:56 PM
Am I the only one slightly perturbed by the original post? (no offence intended).

I can't see where the op has mentioned that she's not going to do all the eyfs paperwork and not stick to the rules. A lot of childminders start out because a friend needs care for their baby and they need a job so have started childminding to help out and then taken the business from there, I can't see anything different with it being family.
The op needs a job, her daughters need childcare, I can't see the problem.

I think the thing with ofsted saying that the inspection doesn't cover relatives is so that childminders don't just 'rent a nephew' for the day just to get a better grade. I think if the op does all the relevant paperwork and shows that it is for long term care and that it's all by the book and she's not just fiddling the system for her inspection it shouldn't be a problem.

When I spoke to tax credits earlier there was no mention of caring for other children aswell as relatives, what if there's just no business at the time, the parents of the grandchildren will lose out on the tax credits.

Bridey
05-01-2011, 08:02 PM
I think the thing with ofsted saying that the inspection doesn't cover relatives is so that childminders don't just 'rent a nephew' for the day just to get a better grade.

I assumed that it was so people didn't set themselves up as childminders at the taxpayers expense (training, CRB checks, start up grants, Ofsted inspections etc) to then only look after family members :)

babs
05-01-2011, 08:12 PM
when i went to reg as a childminder there was a lady there who wanted to reg for her gran kids and was told aunts ,uncles, sisters can do so but not grandparents as lots of grandparents would reg just to help there children out with childcare and get paid for it.. not sure if this is still the case but id check with everyone 1st you dont want to end up paying everything back because your looking after your own gran kids....

babs
05-01-2011, 08:16 PM
just found this searching net......

are the grandparents looking to register as childminders, so you can pay them to look after your kids?

if this is so you can claim the childcare part of the tax credits, you cannot claim if using relatives, even if they are registered

most people get around paying their relatives by either not telling anyone they are paying them, or by giving them gifts (what child would begrudge buying their parents a new car, washing machine, holiday, etc.)

matty199
05-01-2011, 08:25 PM
my investiogations tell me
my daughter if using a registered childminder can claim upto to 80% of her child minding costs of upto £175 per week(1 child) so paid £140 per week

if me the granparent looks after them on a fair commercial basis i sure as far as tax credits go its fine as long as i am open to others even if i dont have others to childmind

not sure re ofsted had some mixed messages in this post perhaps somebody could give me a answer
regards

sweets
05-01-2011, 08:25 PM
I'm sorry but that is just unfair...(and YES I would report her) from someone who has just had her inspection today...and the work and effort that has gone into not only looking after these children but the courses, training and sheer hard work that goes into that.

i wouldn't dream of reporting her, yes she broke the rules, but it wasnt planned if you know what i mean, her mindee was ill on inspection day and she made a spur of the moment decision.

she is one of the best minders i know, far better than some of the officially 'outstanding' minders i know. she has minding for 20 odd years and has only recently taken on her grandchild, she does full EYFS on him so it shouldnt make any difference that it is her grandchild.

i do agree tho that if a minder is just registering to care for a relative they should have to actively look for non related mindees too.

VINASOL
05-01-2011, 08:43 PM
I can't see where the op has mentioned that she's not going to do all the eyfs paperwork and not stick to the rules. A lot of childminders start out because a friend needs care for their baby and they need a job so have started childminding to help out and then taken the business from there, I can't see anything different with it being family.
The op needs a job, her daughters need childcare, I can't see the problem.

I think the thing with ofsted saying that the inspection doesn't cover relatives is so that childminders don't just 'rent a nephew' for the day just to get a better grade. I think if the op does all the relevant paperwork and shows that it is for long term care and that it's all by the book and she's not just fiddling the system for her inspection it shouldn't be a problem.

When I spoke to tax credits earlier there was no mention of caring for other children aswell as relatives, what if there's just no business at the time, the parents of the grandchildren will lose out on the tax credits.

I really didn't mean to cause any offence.

I read it that the original poster wanted to become registered simply so that her daughter(s) could claim tax credits for childcare (thus not having to use/pay for other forms of childcare)...and the OP would charge such a high rate that no other people would use her!

It did sound as if she was trying to do something to beat the system (even with the best of intentions).

Sorry if I mis-read the post.

Blackcat
05-01-2011, 08:50 PM
im not looking for a loophole in the law
if my research is correct and please inform me if you think im wrong the following is correcr and legal and working within the frame work laid down

1.register as childminder ect
2.childmind full time my 2 young grandchildren taking payment from my daughters
3.they can claim assistance through working tax credits(if they qualify)
4.any spaces left i have im within my rights to charge what i like(otherwise it would be a cartel and illegal)
5.please advise what is wrong with that it seems legal with the guidlines from tax credits
6.sure i not the only person here thinking of doing childminding full time for grandchildren and getting paid
appreciate any views

by the rules of ofsted if you care for grandchildren you have to take a min of one non related child, otherwise they assume you are doing it to defraud tax credits, (the lady at my course told us this as there was a granny trying to do the same)

TammyN
05-01-2011, 08:59 PM
i know a cm who has just registered so she can care for her grandchild whilst her daughter is at uni fulltime. she has been told she couldn't look after her grandchild and be paid until she had another mindee on her books! she now has a child 1 afternoon a week and is happily working with eyfs
good luck matty xx

juejue
05-01-2011, 10:16 PM
My friend has been cm for over 5 years. The first 4 of them she only looked after her 2 grandchildren 3 days a week for her daughter... who works for the Tax Credit and was claiming to pay her mum.
Its only been the last year she has been minding another little one because her grandson has gone into full time school.
she was told as long as she was willing to mind a none relative she was ok.

happytotschildminding
06-01-2011, 07:25 AM
Hi, just reading this thread, as you do! and sometimes ofsted do defer inspections if you don't have any children, for example this one; EY312817 hasn't been inspected in 5 years of being registered, not me and I get a bit miffed when I see it! don't know what the circumstances are behind it,( but in a rush to get ready now!!:laughing:)
Carol
x

mrs robbie williams
06-01-2011, 11:55 AM
Totally agree, this lady just seems to want to look afta her grandchildren and get paid for it by tax credits so her daughter isnt out of pocket - wrong :(

Bridey
06-01-2011, 12:32 PM
I don't disagree with the daughter getting tax credits for childcare, neither do I disagree with grandparents getting paid for providing childcare ... what has niggled me is the "seems a bit wrong to me" response to being told that she actually has to take being a Registered Childminder seriously and take on other children in order to be registered and for her daughter to obtain Childcare Credit. If you want the taxpayer to provide you with an income then you have to stick to the rules ... be it tax credit, childcare credit, income support or jobseekers allowance. If you don't think thats fair ... then get a job!

Minstrel
06-01-2011, 01:27 PM

This is the comment that to me, suggests the OP will advertise to other parents but actually will charge say £12/hour, and so won't get any custom.
Therefore filling the criteria about being available to care for others but actually won't have to fulfil the obligation.

loocyloo
06-01-2011, 01:40 PM
This is the comment that to me, suggests the OP will advertise to other parents but actually will charge say £12/hour, and so won't get any custom.
Therefore filling the criteria about being available to care for others but actually won't have to fulfil the obligation.

thats what worries me too. childminding is a professional job and not to be taken lightly!

Bridey
06-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Being available to take on others won't count for anything when it comes to the Ofsted inspection though - that is what she felt was unfair! :rolleyes:

MissTinkerbell
06-01-2011, 04:21 PM
I may have misunderstood but I'm not sure the OP IS doing this so that her daughters can get the tax credits. The daughters need to work and would be paying out for childcare anyway so would be claiming the child element of the working tax credit should they go to another CM/nursery.

All I can see is that the OP has offered to register as a CM so that she can look after her grandchildren, earn a wage and her daughters still be able to claim the working tax credit.

When I did my ICP one of the ladies on the course was doing the very same thing - she was registering to look after her grandchildren because her daughter needed to go to work and would sooner her mum look after the children than a stranger as it were. By regsitering her daughter would still be able to claim tax credits - there was no intention of trying to fiddle the system. My point is that this lady was an Ofsted inspector!

Of course the OP's comment about being too expensive is questionable but is she in the wrong asking it? She wants to look after her grandchildren and do the best for her daughters so is thinking that if she advertises she still meets the criteria to be willing to mind a non-relative but then by charging too much doesn't get any enquiries. Although technically I guess this doesn't meet the criteria because she isn't actually 'doing everything she can to fill that spare space' by charging too much. I wonder how many of us have told a little white lie because we didn't want to mind a particular child for whatever reason?

MissTinkerbell
06-01-2011, 04:30 PM
I assumed that it was so people didn't set themselves up as childminders at the taxpayers expense (training, CRB checks, start up grants, Ofsted inspections etc) to then only look after family members :)

Yes but at the end of the day if they are doing all the required paperwork learning journeys, observations, training etc but only looking after family members - why should things be different?

My CM friend looks after her nephew and 1 other little boy - she does exactly the same for both boys and did so for her nephew before her 2nd mindee started. Why should she be graded any different because the LO is her nephew if she is doing exactly the same as me?

Bridey
06-01-2011, 04:41 PM
Yes but at the end of the day if they are doing all the required paperwork learning journeys, observations, training etc but only looking after family members - why should things be different?

My CM friend looks after her nephew and 1 other little boy - she does exactly the same for both boys and did so for her nephew before her 2nd mindee started. Why should she be graded any different because the LO is her nephew if she is doing exactly the same as me?

i never said she should be graded differently. Your friend is doing exactly what the system is requiring of her - working as a professional registered childminder. However the OP has made it clear that she doesn't want to take on any other children.

If families want to look after each other's children then great but why should the taxpayers have to pay for the training and resulting care if the family member who is doing the minding isn't willing to contribute back to society by making themselves available as a general practitioner? Would you expect a qualified nurse or doctor to only treat members of their own family?

Bridey
06-01-2011, 04:52 PM
I suppose what I am saying is that I would prefer there to be a different system that allows family members to care for their relatives, for some sort of financial help to those going to work to pay the family member but to keep the profession of the Registered Childminder away from this situation should the person doing the minding not wish to take on any other children. Until such a time then I think those registering should be prepared to work according to the current system rather than to try and find ways of wriggle out of their legal obligations before they've even started training :)

MissTinkerbell
06-01-2011, 05:01 PM
Yes but how can you say someone is not as professional as the rest of us just because they are looking after family? Perhaps some are but not everyone can be tarred with the same brush.

If I was to look after my SIL children I would not be able to take on any more children in terms of my registration. I would still do all the stuff that I'm doing with the 3 children I look after and do nothing different.

Would that make me any less professional just because they were my nephew and nieces rather than non-relatives?

loocyloo
06-01-2011, 05:11 PM
probably going slightly off the OP now,

but i feel that if someone is a childminder and already working and THEN takes on a family member, they are already working to the regulations, but when someone registers JUST to look after family, then i wonder if they REALLY want to childmind!

Bridey
06-01-2011, 05:11 PM
Yes but how can you say someone is not as professional as the rest of us just because they are looking after family? Perhaps some are but not everyone can be tarred with the same brush.

If I was to look after my SIL children I would not be able to take on any more children in terms of my registration. I would still do all the stuff that I'm doing with the 3 children I look after and do nothing different.

Would that make me any less professional just because they were my nephew and nieces rather than non-relatives?

I didn't use the word 'professional' in my last post. I'm not referring to quality of care (which I am sure would be exemplary), I'm talking more about how the OP is regarding the profession as a whole. As Registered Childminders we have fought for many years to be taken seriously. If people are looking to undermine the rules and regulations even before they have started then where does that leave the rest of us?

I suppose that if you were to take on your 3 nephews and nieces then you wouldn't be fulfilling your requirements under Ofsted to mind at least one non-family member and would lose your registration and the right of your SIL to claim childcare credit? It certainly wouldn't mean your quality of care would suffer. Would taking on an after-schooler change this? Its all rather complicated isn't it!

I know we've slightly off topic from the OP but we've answered her questions already and this is quite an interesting debate ;)

marnieb
06-01-2011, 05:33 PM
another point of view -

if the op registered on here for support thru her training and registering, posting on here and perhaps a few of us would feel like we 'knew' her, and then 6 months after reg'ing and she had no mindees (and we've all been there!), her daughters asked her to look after their lo's..... what would we all say??? Nothing negative, I bet. We'd all be happy that a fellow cm who'd had no work was getting on her feet with work finally coming in, even if it was her own grandchildren.

I think what has got people's backs up ( and I was one of them when i read it this morning, so much so I didn't want to answer!) is that she has been forthright in saying she's only doing it to look after her grandchildren.

VINASOL
06-01-2011, 08:28 PM
another point of view -

if the op registered on here for support thru her training and registering, posting on here and perhaps a few of us would feel like we 'knew' her, and then 6 months after reg'ing and she had no mindees (and we've all been there!), her daughters asked her to look after their lo's..... what would we all say??? Nothing negative, I bet. We'd all be happy that a fellow cm who'd had no work was getting on her feet with work finally coming in, even if it was her own grandchildren.

I think what has got people's backs up ( and I was one of them when i read it this morning, so much so I didn't want to answer!) is that she has been forthright in saying she's only doing it to look after her grandchildren.

At the end of the day, the OP is asking if she becomes a registered childminder, she can look after her grandchildren and the OP's children will be paid via Tax Credits (i.e. free childcare). The OP CLEARLY states that she will charge so much that no other person will be able to afford to use her, thus having to look after her grand-children exclusively; thus staying 'within the law' but obviously flouting the fact that she isn't really a childmidner (without her saying it of course).

I've read lots of posts about parents/grand-parents/family members looking after other family members, such as grandchildren or neices etc, but still look after 'other people's children' and take it seriously (as most peopel I know).

I think that this is a different ball game. If the OP had not posted about charging so much that no-one else would use her, no-one woudl have questioned it.

Louise0208
06-01-2011, 08:46 PM
also what would happen if....

OP got registered looked after said grandchildren, took on an extra non family member (as required by ofsted) and then the contract with non family member ended for whatever reason............would that mean that the grandchildrens contract would have to come to an end aswell (as ofsteds requirements are not met) or would a replacement have to be found within a certain time......which to be honest is not easy in todays work climate :(

MaryMary
06-01-2011, 09:11 PM
Interesting debate :D
Let's try this one....
Maybe OP wants to work, but can't find a job. Bills need to be paid, and grandchildren need childcare (or will soon).
Register as a cm - win-win situation.
It could be that, with 2 very young children (not much of an age gap between the little cousins :) ) the OP doesn't want to take on too much at present, hence the comments about setting high prices for other enquiries. Two little ones is a lot for any new cm :o
The OP has said they are happy to go through the reg process, paperwork, etc. Give them a break (he or she!) they are just trying to make a living, like the rest of us, in a difficult climate :thumbsup:
Once the OP gets started, they may enjoy it SO much they have a house full of kids by year end. Stranger things have happened :laughing:
I say good luck to you :thumbsup:

Saranotts
07-01-2011, 10:38 AM
Let's try this one....
Maybe OP wants to work, but can't find a job. Bills need to be paid, and grandchildren need childcare (or will soon).
It could be that, with 2 very young children (not much of an age gap between the little cousins :) ) the OP doesn't want to take on too much at present, hence the comments about setting high prices for other enquiries. Two little ones is a lot for any new cm :o
The OP has said they are happy to go through the reg process, paperwork, etc. Give them a break (he or she!) they are just trying to make a living, like the rest of us, in a difficult climate :thumbsup:
Once the OP gets started, they may enjoy it SO much they have a house full of kids by year end. Stranger things have happened :laughing:

Here, here, I agree, in todays climate I think its a great idea for Grandma to be looking after her grandchildren and being paid for it and for the other family members to also be going out to work.

So good luck and hope it all works out well for you.

xxx

Bridey
07-01-2011, 10:48 AM
Perhaps grandparents who only want to look after their own grandchildren and be registered solely so their children can claim for tax credits should pay for their own training and registration? They certainly shouldn't be entitled to a start up grant in my opinion!

erinjane
07-01-2011, 10:56 AM
Hi, I know a child minder who gets paid to look after her grandchildren and her daughter claims tax credits towards this. As long as you are a registered childminder x

MissTinkerbell
07-01-2011, 02:10 PM
Let's try this one....

I also agree with this. This year I took on a 1 yr old to go along with my current 2 yr old. I've been CMing for almost 3 years and was an EY teacher for 12 and believe me this has been the hardest job I've ever done including having twins so perhaps it might just be a case of not wanting to take on to much too soon.

I have 3 under 5 spaces and only 2 of those are being used - I do not want 3 under 5s and perhaps this is how the OP feels?

sweets
07-01-2011, 02:14 PM
Perhaps grandparents who only want to look after their own grandchildren and be registered solely so their children can claim for tax credits should pay for their own training and registration? They certainly shouldn't be entitled to a start up grant in my opinion!

now that would be a good idea. :thumbsup:

MissTinkerbell
07-01-2011, 02:26 PM

Many areas don't get the start up grant anyway so perhaps OP lives in one of these and then this point of view becomes irrelevant.

Bridey
07-01-2011, 02:56 PM
Many areas don't get the start up grant anyway so perhaps OP lives in one of these and then this point of view becomes irrelevant.

Don't they? I wouldn't know, they didn't have such things in the last decade when I registered ;)

However, as was pointed out earlier this this thread, some of us have clearly moved on from the original OP and are happily now debating the subject on a more general basis so I would like to point out that my comments are not being made as a personal attack against her, despite your insinuation. If you feel my point of view is irrelevant then feel free not to comment on it :)

Saranotts
07-01-2011, 05:42 PM
Don't they? I wouldn't know, they didn't have such things in the last decade when I registered ;)

However, as was pointed out earlier this this thread, some of us have clearly moved on from the original OP and are happily now debating the subject on a more general basis so I would like to point out that my comments are not being made as a personal attack against her, despite your insinuation. If you feel my point of view is irrelevant then feel free not to comment on it :)

Ouch! I don't think Misstinkerbell was insinuating anything and was just taking part in the debate. Lets keep it friendly, I would be surprised if we haven't already put the poor original poster off coming on this site again already!

MissTinkerbell
08-01-2011, 03:58 PM
I wasn't insinuating anything ...just making a point that many areas now (my own now thinking about it) in the current financial climate are not offering any sort of start up grant.

I posted a thread about this a while back on behalf of a friend and many people replied that they didn't get start up grants or only help with certain bits of registration.

Bridey
08-01-2011, 04:13 PM
Then I apologise. I had read your post as saying that my point of view was irrelevant, obviously an error on my part :)

Playmate
08-01-2011, 04:22 PM

In our county you now have to pay for ICP training, first aid and all other training and we haven't had start up grants for a long time :rolleyes:

MissTinkerbell
08-01-2011, 04:41 PM
Then I apologise. I had read your post as saying that my point of view was irrelevant, obviously an error on my part :)

Thats OK :)

Mouse
08-01-2011, 04:53 PM
Going back to the origional post, as far as I am aware, it is OK for grandparents to register to look after their own grandchildren, but they must also be prepared to take on children who aren't part of their family. If they don't, or can't, take on any other children Ofsted could/would eventually de-register them and the parents would no longer be able to claim tax credits.

Again, as far as I understand it, Ofsted do not count grandchildren as minded children. They count in your numbers, as your own children would, but they do not look at them in the same way as they do minded children. You don't need paperwork and you don't have to follow EYFS. But as a registered childminder you would still have to have RA's, procedures & policies etc for any other children.
As Ofsted don't count your grandchildren as being mindees, they wouldn't inspect you on them. If they did come out, they would inspect you as having no children present and wouldn't even look at any paperwork you might have on them. Because of this, they may eventually de-register you.

If Ofsted realised that fees were being set at such a high rate that it would put off any potential families, they would consider this a way of avoiding taking on non-related children and would take a dim view of it. But then, how would they know? Also, unless you specifically told them you were only minding grandchildren, they probably wouldn't know (unless the surnames were the same maybe?). There are underhand ways of getting around the rules and it would be up to the OP to decide if they were going to be sneaky or honest.

The definition of a childminder is someone who "provides care for children to whom they are not related and of any age up to their 18th birthday on domestic premises for reward." Deliberately setting your prices too high to attract families would be seen as actively preventing yourself from becoming a cm. It would be best if the OP phoned Ofsted for clarification.

catlyn
08-01-2011, 05:18 PM
Hi...I am a recently registered childminder..although i have been a nursey nurse for over 20 years...I am also a grandmother, I specifiacally asked at my pre reg training about this and was told ofsted prefer you to have at least one other child as well as your grandchildren (or at least be prepeared to take on one) and with tax credits it doesnt matter if you are a relative as long as you have a registration number. The person doing the course did say it was a bit of a grey area though. At no time during my pre reg was I told my grandchildren wouldnt count in my mumbers for inspection purposes...I need to clarify this...I have three children on my books at the moment (one is the grandchild of my partner) his mum claims tax credits. In March I hope to take on my sons baby twins, I see nothing wrong with this as all of the children I care for will be treat the same and all the paperwork contracts and learning journals etc will also be the same for each child. I consider myself a professional and take my role very seriously, my daughter in law prefers that her children are looked after by a relative rather than a stranger and I agree with this. Good luck OP

http://www.maturetimes.co.uk/node/7579