PDA

View Full Version : How do you cope with the babies in the garden?!

buzzy bee
04-01-2011, 08:41 PM
Just been reading the Natural Playspaces thread and it's got me all excited about fab ideas for the garden, BUT a lot of my mindees are 1 or under, and most of the time I have 2 1-year-olds at a time, and I haven't yet taken them outside because I don't know how it would work logistically.

My son (1) walks but when we're outside I like to hold his hand as he's not that steady, and the mindees don't walk yet. I don't like them crawling around on the lawn because of cat poo...

Any ideas?!

Vickster
04-01-2011, 08:47 PM
I scan the garden for cat poo and dead animals each morning, I put a waterproof outfit on used to let my daughter/son crawl or alternatively take the push chair out or zone an area away from the lawn...

I took a 9 month old out today he did not want to crawl out there so I put him in the trike and carried him for a bit.

mufftie
04-01-2011, 08:47 PM
yeah i have this issue as i had 2 under one last summer who both loved crawling on the grass and theres no point putting a mat down as they just come straight off it , having a dog i got paraniod about them crawling in something they shouldnt but tbh it wasnt really an issue aslong as i kept the grass very short so i could see anything clearly

miffy
04-01-2011, 08:48 PM
I'd check the lawn over for cat poo and let them go - I sometimes put down big ground sheets for the babies but once they're mobile it's a bit of a waste of time.

Just make sure you've got plenty of baby wipes to hand to mop up anything they pick up (in my garden it's more likely to be pidgeon poo than anything else!).

Miffy xx

manjay
04-01-2011, 09:03 PM
Just let them go!!!:D I have some all in one outfits and just some waterproof bottoms. My lo can just about walk now but still prefers to crawl and his favourite passtime is crawling around my garden:thumbsup:

flora
04-01-2011, 09:13 PM
I am with Manjay on this......... take a deep breath and let them explore.

Make every effort to clear up any nasties and then enjoy your garden space :thumbsup:

glitzygal
04-01-2011, 09:18 PM
I risk ass my garden every morn, etc, like some said poo, etc

i have a baby walker, which LO strolls around, if he gets stuck, i help he had out door shoes on, which i was when dirty,

you got to let them go, and interact and include them also fresh air is the best,:jump for joy:

Angela234
04-01-2011, 10:44 PM
I have several foam mats i join together to put down with toys on, i lay cushions or horseshoe cushion down for young babies to support them sitting. Then like the others say just let them explore i have old trousers and all in one suits.

catswhiskers
04-01-2011, 11:21 PM
Was just wondering why a few of you have mentioned scanning the lawn area for cat poo?

I have three cats and none of mine have ever pooed on the lawn - it's not natural for them - they have to either do it in their tray to cover it up or in earth to cover it up.

I know dogs are a different matter but wouldn't that be cleared up anyway?

Maybe it's foxes poo you've all been looking for!

OrlandoBelle
04-01-2011, 11:29 PM
I was wondering about the cat poo too. There are tonnes of cats in our area and we have one ourself too, but I have never come across a cat poo on our lawn. Our cat always goes in the borders at the back and buries them over.

I also risk assess the garden every morning before the children go out there. We are lucky in that our dog never poos or wees in the garden (he will occassionally wee up the chicken coop but we tell him off). My DH walks him 3-4 times a day and he does his business when he's out.

Our problem is chicken poo :( DH has to jet wash the garden after they've been out in the mornings :(

butterfly
05-01-2011, 07:11 AM
I let mine go! Or alternatively if it's really wet or the child is unsure I use foam squares joined together or put the highchair outside so that they are still involved. Once they can stand supported it's easier as they can hold the edge of the sand/water tray etc. I also have a baby swing which they love to sit in and watch what's going on! I just gave up on worrying about what they should be doing outside and realised that just being outside and watching is value in itself!

kindredspirits
05-01-2011, 08:27 AM
i really struggled with young babies in my garden because its all patio and stones - a nightmare because the stones usually all go in the mouth. What i have done in the past is set up a ball pit in the paddling pool for LO's - i help them to stand at the water or sand tray etc - if i have too many LO's to actively kee watch of a little baby they get put in a travel cot in the garden with garden toys, or a baby walker.
Once they're walking i find they are more interested in the push around toys than eating the stones. ;)

Bridey
05-01-2011, 08:36 AM
I scan the garden for cat poo and dead animals

I get what you are saying but reading that did make me chuckle :laughing:

Polly2
05-01-2011, 08:37 AM
The thing I worry about the most is their hands and feet getting cold and wet in this weather when crawling. I have all in one suits but would really like to get some of those thick mittens and bootees just for when its a bit cold.

I'm going to have a little google search :rolleyes:

Polly2
05-01-2011, 08:44 AM
Found some! http://www.littletrekkers.co.uk/shop/index.php/flypage/4898/2d6ed3c5d1cf1b7e329ba466883786ed

The Juggler
05-01-2011, 02:13 PM
Just let them go!!!:D I have some all in one outfits and just some waterproof bottoms. My lo can just about walk now but still prefers to crawl and his favourite passtime is crawling around my garden:thumbsup:

me too. I have all in one suits and you can order over bootees to go over crawler shoes. I check for fox/cat poo before though:)

sarak31
05-01-2011, 02:40 PM
I had two crawling babies in the summer and they were into everything - I did let them go off but within reason - with one in one direction trying to eat mud and another in the other going for the gravel there were times when I got the large playpen out filled it with toys and they took turns some times playing in there whilst I went around with the other one. The other thing that was really good was I have a sand pit on the floor and I emptied it and filled it with balls - they were happy as larry sat in there for ages!

Vickster
08-01-2011, 10:12 PM
Just re-read this, my forum and email style is so blunt, yes our cat kills animals. Sometimes we have cat poo on our lawn, not often.