PDA

View Full Version : Husband as assistant

Helcatt
04-01-2011, 12:12 PM
At the moment, I am not looking to increase numbers, and dh works full-time anyway, though we are talking about him going part time and helping with the after schoolies

How much would dh have to do to become my assistant?

He is already CRB checked

He is happy to do the First Aid course

Would he need to do a course (ICP or equivalent) or is that only for registering as a child minder?

I'm just thinking ahead as there are occasions when I have to disturb babies sleep for the school run and if he was here, potentially, if parents and Ofsted agree, I was thinking that I wouldn't have to disturb them

The other thought was to help me on outings over the school holidays, so he could play with the older ones while I cared for the littlies, for example

Thoughts/advice please?

HX

Louise0208
04-01-2011, 12:42 PM
id be interested on this......purely for the school run aspect :idea:

funemnx
04-01-2011, 12:51 PM
First Aid and CRB essential - consider the ICP as he will get the 1st Aid free I think (my assistant did it this way) :)

Beetlejuice
04-01-2011, 12:57 PM
My DH did this. He must be CRBd and have First Aid but doesn't need the ICP if he's just going to be an assistant in the terms you are talking of. You need to make sure you have written parental permission for him to be left with them - make sure when you apply to Ofsted that you state that there are occasions that he will be in 'sole charge' as this is the wording you need.

Hopefully that's the right info - my DH has been my assistant for a couple of years now and it was right at the time. It's nice in the school hols as he often comes on our group outings and the little lads in our setting love it. He doesn't do toilet runs/nappies etc but happily does everything else. It does make the afternoon school run easier when the babies are napping or if it's raining as I don't have to drag all the children out.

Clareysbusybees
07-01-2011, 06:16 PM
My husband also works as my assistant, though he says he's the dogs body!!lol, he did the icp course and found it really useful, i think its good for assistants to cover all area's in childminding, especially as we had our inspection recently and the inspector did ask him some questions, in safeguarding, our policies and procedures. we did get outstanding in all area's, so it was definately worth while, i just drag him along to all courses i attend. hope thats useful to you.

KAZBAZ55
21-01-2011, 03:12 PM
HI,
[Q
MY HUBBY IS REGISTERED AS AN ASSISTANT FOR ME AND AGAIN JUST CRB & FIRST AID NEEDED. HE HASN'T DONE THE ICP COURSE AS HE ONLY HELPS ME OCCASIONALLY.

HAVE FUN

KAREN X:o :o

Graham
21-01-2011, 04:31 PM
My husband also works as my assistant, though he says he's the dogs body!!lol,

I can sympathise with that. :D

I've done the first aid course and I have been CRB checked. We keep a diary for when either of us has sole charge. I generally get sent on the school run when it's raining or snowing or really cold. :laughing:

It's great fun and our mindees look on me as a sort of playmate or even another mindee. One of our little ones once asked me when my mummy was coming to fetch me. :ROFL1:

Blue Boy
21-01-2011, 04:42 PM
You will also have to have Employers Public Liability Insurance.

HopscotchCaren
26-01-2011, 09:43 PM

Would my husband / mum be classed as an employee if they are not getting any financial reward ?

They would be 'helping' on an adhoc basis, rather than set days/hours.

Thank you !x

rickysmiths
26-01-2011, 11:52 PM
My husband also works as my assistant, though he says he's the dogs body!!lol, he did the icp course and found it really useful, i think its good for assistants to cover all area's in childminding, especially as we had our inspection recently and the inspector did ask him some questions, in safeguarding, our policies and procedures. we did get outstanding in all area's, so it was definately worth while, i just drag him along to all courses i attend. hope thats useful to you.

My husband is registered as my Assiatant and he has never been present for an Inspection nor has he been asked to be. Just as well because he is a full time teacher! He has done his First Aid and I thought it was important he do a Child Protection Course and in fact this is now done with all the staff at school but he doesn't do any others . I have the written permission of all my parents for him to be alone for short periods on his own. As others have said useful for school runs. We also have his car insured for childminding use so we can take two cars if we want to on an outing.

flowerpots
27-01-2011, 07:15 AM

my dh is my assisant and i havent got employers public liability insurance:blush: i didnt know anything about it:eek:

Tink
27-01-2011, 07:21 AM
My DH is also my assistant, he has an enhanced CRB and First Aid and if he can he comes along to all the courses I go on, two heads are always better than one :)
I don't have public liability insurance either but he doesn't get paid, we have a joint bank account:laughing:

Porridge
03-02-2011, 12:47 PM
Hi, just having a look here as considering my mum registering as assistant to work with me...
re insurance, i'm fairly sure, even if you don't 'pay' someone, you still need employers liability insurance (i hope that's right). I found this out when looking at books for a toddler group run by volunteers. Even though no-one is paid, or rewarded, you still have to have the insurance. Also, to the last poster, I'm fairly sure you definately need public liability insurance (this may have been a slip up with words) for your business regardless of assistants etc. I think it's included in the NCMA insurance?? Hope I'm not giving misinformation here! x

littlemiracles
05-02-2011, 10:42 AM
my dh is my assisant and i havent got employers public liability insurance:blush: i didnt know anything about it:eek:

You dont need it if your assistant is your husband/wife. :D

littlemiracles
05-02-2011, 10:48 AM
FYI - The following is from the Employers Liability Act

Does the law apply to me?

You need employers’ liability insurance unless you are exempt from the Employers’ Liability (Compulsory Insurance) Act. The following employers are exempt:*

family businesses, ie if all of your employees are closely related to you (as husband, wife, civil partner, father, mother, grandfather, grandmother, stepfather, stepmother, son, daughter, grandson, granddaughter, stepson, stepdaughter, brother, sister, half-brother or half-sister). However, this exemption does not apply to family businesses which are incorporated as limited companies;■
companies employing only their owner where that employee also owns 50% or

Helcatt
26-02-2011, 08:40 AM
Thanks for clarifying that with regards to the public liability insurance

More questions from me

We are now talking about him quitting his job completely. I have been turning work away. And for a good while. I lost out on two people because I could only do 4 days at that point and they possibly needed 5. Space now filled! Just had a 2 x 3 day and a 4 day enquirey that I can't consider

What should I consider when asking Ofsted to increase numbers? Or at least increase numbers in the early years

We are adding our lounge so going to Risk Assess that and inform of changes that we feel are required ie. get rid of wine rack, remove cabinet with glass front, add window catches, add stairgates at this level. So this will increase space we can work in.

Have to have a think about sleeping . Do currently have my daughters room listed for that purpose but it is small. I can just fit two travel cots in

Any other thoughts please?

HX

Chatterbox Childcare
26-02-2011, 01:53 PM
The employers liability insurance is a must so don't disregard it because you are not paying as it covers volunteers aswell and NCMA only charge £5 per year and free for students.

For example: a baby comes to you with AIDS (you don't know this and this example is extreme) - hubby volunteer gets it and in 5 years when the baby has left you how are you covered? YOU ARE NOT! The insurance covers you for 21 years from when you had the child.

The same could be said of Hepititus and if you don't have it does this make your insurance invalid? Ring your insurance company and ask. I wouldn't be without mine.

As to your question you need:

Enhanced CRB
Paediatric 1st Aid (if being left in sole charge either at home or collecting from school)
Acceptability from Ofsted letter
Signed parental consent
Employers Liability Insurance

My DH started with me in October last year and we haven't looked back but he is now going on a lot of courses (haven't told him yet!) and then registering in his own right

Helcatt
27-02-2011, 11:33 AM
Enhanced CRB
Paediatric 1st Aid (if being left in sole charge either at home or collecting from school)
Acceptability from Ofsted letter
Signed parental consent
Employers Liability Insurance

My DH started with me in October last year and we haven't looked back but he is now going on a lot of courses (haven't told him yet!) and then registering in his own right

Thanks for that. Basically, its just making sure that Ofsted are happy with him working as my assistant then. I'll give them a call tomorrow and start the ball rolling

He's happy to do courses but really does not want to register in his own right.

For the sake of a few quid I will add the employers version of the insurance, better to have it all covered properly

HX

Helcatt
27-02-2011, 11:34 AM
Is that 21 years from when the child leaves your setting? Or when they turn 21?

HX

Chatterbox Childcare
27-02-2011, 07:20 PM
Is that 21 years from when the child leaves your setting? Or when they turn 21?

HX

hm not read into it that much = sorry :D

coffee-time
27-02-2011, 08:58 PM
ive been thinking of making my husband an assisstant too, he's home from work most weeks by 2.30 and sometimes ive wished i could leave the little ones with him while i pick others up from school, i hate bringing the baby out in the cold and rain especially if he was asleep. might look into it after reading advice on here!!:) (havent told him yet though)!!

Mrs.L.C
28-02-2011, 02:03 PM
Your public liabilty insurance may already incl employers insurance. I had it added free with Morton Michel

Also OH needs to have the patients and you need to be prepared to feel like a spare piece sometimes lol. I find the younger children would rather go to OH now than me to play a game/do an activity/if they want a cuddle
Handy when I need to do the paper work though :)