PDA

View Full Version : Random questions...

Donkey
15-04-2008, 09:46 PM
here goes!!

how do you go to the toilet if you are not meant to leave mindees unsupervised at all?
how on earth do you cook (obv dangerous to have lots of small ones around a cooker)?
do any of you 'batch cook' to save time?
(on a weekend I love nothing more than getting out my monster pan and cooking a batch of bolagnese, chilli, pasta sauce and cottage pies. they have that much veg in them that it takes me aaaages to peel and chop everything)
is anything covered in the food hygiene course I need to be aware of about this?
(its on my wish list of things I want to complete, but money is so so so tight!)
is it acceptable to have mindees in the next room? so in ear shot but not eye sight? are you still covered under pli?

help!!! :panic:

sarah707
16-04-2008, 06:38 AM
here goes!!

how do you go to the toilet if you are not meant to leave mindees unsupervised at all?

I suggest a colostomy bag :D

how on earth do you cook (obv dangerous to have lots of small ones around a cooker)?
(on a weekend I love nothing more than getting out my monster pan and cooking a batch of bolagnese, chilli, pasta sauce and cottage pies. they have that much veg in them that it takes me aaaages to peel and chop everything)

Sometimes, other times I wing it...

is anything covered in the food hygiene course I need to be aware of about this?

When cooking food probe it to 75c or higher. Cool very quickly - within an hour - split into batches and spread to speed the process. Store at below 5c in a temperature checked fridge for 24 hours or -18c in a temp checked freezer for length of time stated on freezer door. Label food with date made and date to be thrown away.

(its on my wish list of things I want to complete, but money is so so so tight!)
is it acceptable to have mindees in the next room? so in ear shot but not eye sight? are you still covered under pli?

help!!! :panic:

You can download a copy of 'safer food better business' from here - it's the cook's bible... :D

http://www.food.gov.uk/foodindustry/regulation/hygleg/hyglegresources/sfbb/sfbbcaterers/

Donkey
16-04-2008, 08:11 AM
thanks sarah!

seriously though? a colostomy bag??? i've had a cathetar and that was bad enough!

sarah707
16-04-2008, 08:21 AM
:laughing: Sorry, pre-school run madness! :laughing:

I think tbh it's a matter of being sensible... nobody on here would dream of leaving a baby unattended on the playroom floor when 2 toddlers are playing soldiers in the same room... then popping off to the loo for 5 minutes and putting a load of washing in at the same time...

But I bet it does happen and it might well have happened in the past. You can also bet it's something like that which Ofsted are battling against when they bring in their otherwise daft-sounding rules...

We know how to safeguard a child - we make them as safe as possible. I hope we are not heading for a time when we will have to ask parents what they do about absolutely everything like this and follow their wishes. :(

Donkey
16-04-2008, 05:21 PM
it goes without saying you wouldn't leave a baby with 2 toddlers, but would you take the baby with and place on the bath mat or would you take all 3.

hopefully i can train myslef to go in the evening lol

is it me or are you my oracle sarah as no one else seems to be answering my daft questions lol

sarah707
16-04-2008, 05:30 PM
They're not daft! Any question is good if it makes people think...

I've never taken children with me to the toilet. I leave doors open and call out a lot if need be... I always tell them when I go - I never just disappear... I come straight back in and check on them and tell them I'm back.

Baby goes in his travel cot with a toy... toddlers are playing... often I will go when we're getting ready for a school run as the loo is by my back door, so baby is in his buggy and others are getting their coats / shoes on etc.

In 14 years it's never been a problem... now you wait for tomorrow! There will be chaos!! :laughing:

son77
16-04-2008, 05:37 PM

Take them with you if at all you think safety is compromsied

Put them in a high chair, sit them quietly infront of TV whilst nipping in & out.

All depends on the kids you have.

Dont cook at the mo but when I did I used to cook bigger family meals then freeze or use for next day

Sarah covered that one

I think so!

MissTinkerbell
16-04-2008, 07:44 PM
When I had my pre-reg my inspector said, when I was asking similar questions, that it was fine to leave mindees in another room provided they were in hearing and you didn't leave them for more than a couple of minutes. I'm lucky in that my loo is half way between the lounge and dining room so if I left door ajar I would be in earshot.

angeldelight
16-04-2008, 09:50 PM
The best solution when needing the toilet

Is to wet yourself then you wont have to leave the children

Angel xx

Joke !

miffy
17-04-2008, 04:34 PM

Angel xx

Joke !
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

miffy xx

RedDragon
17-04-2008, 05:02 PM
I don't know of any other job where you literally have to plan when you can have a poo. :eek: :idea: :laughing:

tulip0803
17-04-2008, 05:05 PM

Angel xx

Joke !

The chemist sells adult sized nappies?!:p