PDA

View Full Version : Charges for Settling In Sessions???

Noomie
03-01-2011, 11:02 PM
My mum asked me if I charged for settling in sessions. So far I've only had a couple of them (two this week and one tomorrow - two different children). I haven't charged but wonder if I should. Or is it part of the service. The mum's aren't 'getting' anything out of it in terms of free childcare while they go off and do something. Mostly they were anxious of leaving their LO's for the first time with a stranger. It hasn't really put me out before either.

What do you all do?

Pipsqueak
03-01-2011, 11:05 PM
For me Settling in sessions are only offered on signing of contract and deposit received.

Settling in sessions would be short - up to 2 hours perhaps twice and then after that its chargable at normal rate.

so far even though i hve suggested it, no parent has ever taken it up

pinky33
03-01-2011, 11:06 PM
Hi

we offer 4 hrs free to use as they wish anymore is charged at our usual rate of £5 per hour.

But there are no hard and fast rules, your the boss you do what feels right for your setting.

pinky33
03-01-2011, 11:08 PM
The same for us only after deposit taken and contracts signed.

Chimps Childminding
03-01-2011, 11:09 PM
I do a couple of 2 hour sessions free. Parents are welcome to book further sessions if they wish, but it would be hours/days to suit me and charged at normal hourly rate!!

Carol M
03-01-2011, 11:12 PM
I don't charge for the ones where parent stays.
Carol xx

Noomie
03-01-2011, 11:13 PM
Contracts are signed and deposits paid. In fact one family starts on the 10th and has already paid the months fees (not invoiced yet either)! Sessions are 2-3 hours and only 2 of them so I'm quite happy. Good families really. I think you should start off on the right foot. And if it were me, I would want a CM who was interested in getting to know my babe / child before starting to work with them.

flowerpots
04-01-2011, 07:24 AM
i offer 2, two hour sessions oncecontracts have been signed but ive never had a parent take them up yet :rolleyes:

Vickster
04-01-2011, 07:33 AM
I offer 2, 2 hour sessions after contracts have been signed.

The Juggler
04-01-2011, 07:56 AM
For me Settling in sessions are only offered on signing of contract and deposit received.

Settling in sessions would be short - up to 2 hours perhaps twice and then after that its chargable at normal rate.

so far even though i hve suggested it, no parent has ever taken it up

I agree, and I offer 2 x 2 hour or 1 x 4 hour session. After that it's chargeable.:thumbsup:

AliceK
04-01-2011, 09:00 AM
I offer 4 hrs free which is usually split between 2 or 3 sessions. They only become usable after contract has been signed and deposit taken. I only offer them for young children though not school age.

xxxxxxx

Rubybubbles
04-01-2011, 09:05 AM
I offer 2, 2 hour sessions after contracts have been signed.

same, I try and do one in morning and one over lunch time:)

mufftie
04-01-2011, 09:11 AM
same here , if the parent expresses that they would like a settling session then i will give 2 hours free upon the contracts being signed after that its chargable if they want more

clio0602
04-01-2011, 10:02 AM
I also have 2 free 2hr settling in sessions after contracts signed and deposit paid x

Lems
04-01-2011, 10:17 AM
Would your PLI cover that child in a settling in session (without parent present) if no contracts are signed?? Would you have all childs medical/emergency details before contracts?? Lx

Louise0208
04-01-2011, 11:43 AM
i did state that i offer 2 free 2 hour sessions but then someone took advantage of this....

the parent was interested, she had a portfolio of mine & arranged her 2 settling in sessions, she zoomed off strait away & picked up late :rolleyes: on both occasions, she then said she would call in the next few days about signing a contract.....nothing happened!

a month later she called & asked for another 2 free settling in sessions as she wasnt sure, to which i called her bluff & said if you are not 100% sure then im obviously not the CM for her as i wouldnt want to leave my children with someone im not 100% about.....then she changed her mind & said i was perfect & she would sort the contract after the next session, i told her i would be charging her as she had already had the freebies......the phone went dead! never heard from her again :rolleyes:

i now offer free sessions if the parent wants to stay with the child but charge by the hour for settling in :thumbsup:

Helcatt
04-01-2011, 11:50 AM
I agree, and I offer 2 x 2 hour or 1 x 4 hour session. After that it's chargeable.:thumbsup:

I do this! And I only do this once contracts are signed, all relevant info provided and deposit in bank.

I changed it in July, in the settling in sessions, I used to charge for the hours used (for settling) for the first week and then full contract after that, but after a few interviews in July, I think that put people off as others were not charging and I was.

Might just have been the people I happened to see though.

HX

Louise0208
04-01-2011, 11:57 AM
ok im gonna say something you ladies wont like....sorry :o

as a parent of 4 who used childinders until last year i wouldnt sign contracts etc till i have settled the children in & im happy that i can trust the CM & the children are happy.....otherwise i would have 4 lots of notice to pay (as my child would not be attending) & i wouldnt be able to afford childcare elsewhere. id rather pay for settling in before contracts than free ones after & fill in a basic medical & personal info sheet.

.....runs for cover :littleangel:

caz3007
04-01-2011, 12:14 PM

as a parent of 4 who used childinders until last year i wouldnt sign contracts etc till i have settled the children in & im happy that i can trust the CM & the children are happy.....otherwise i would have 4 lots of notice to pay (as my child would not be attending) & i wouldnt be able to afford childcare elsewhere. id rather pay for settling in before contracts than free ones after & fill in a basic medical & personal info sheet.

But you wouldnt be paying for notice, I think most of us use a 2 or 4 week settling period contract can be terminated on either side with no notice.

I have signed contracts and then offered 2 x 2 hour free sessions and its always worked for me

Noomie
04-01-2011, 12:28 PM
Interesting point Louise. Good to get another perspective.

Contracts are signed and all emergency details have been taken and deposits have been paid. Most parents have come for two interview visits before deciding anyway. I also have in my contracts a 'settling' in period which is the first month where either party can cancel without the 4 week notice payment as it's better for all to be happy (parents, children/babies and me!)

So I think that's all bases covered then and seems I am doing what's 'the norm'.

The Juggler
04-01-2011, 01:35 PM
I do this! And I only do this once contracts are signed, all relevant info provided and deposit in bank.

I changed it in July, in the settling in sessions, I used to charge for the hours used (for settling) for the first week and then full contract after that, but after a few interviews in July, I think that put people off as others were not charging and I was.

Might just have been the people I happened to see though.

HX

oh yes absolutely NOT until contracts signed so no one is getting a freebie and then disappearing. Take a deposit on contract signing then settlign in sessions.

The Juggler
04-01-2011, 01:37 PM

I see your point hon and I'm a CM who does not offer a notice free period at settling in. I'm happy to do as many visits WITH mum/dad before they make a decision though (as long as it doesn't get silly). However, I would not be doing settling in BEFORE I signed a contract with anyone as I won't look after a child without the contract in place.

manjay
04-01-2011, 05:33 PM
I also offer two 2 hour sessions free where the child comes on their own but definitely after contracts signed. I offer a 4 week settling in period without notice but tbh the parents of littlies have usually been for a few visits before contracts are signed. If they can't get the feel of me and my practice after those then I think I am not doing my job properly:rolleyes:

samb
04-01-2011, 06:39 PM
I also offer a 2 hour settling in session after contracts are signed and deposit is paid. I say the deposit pays for... any risk assessments and adjustments I need to make for their child, any paper work I need to put together for their child and a settling in session. So far parents are happy with this. 1 parent asked for an extra session and was happy to pay for it at normal rates. I also have a 4 week period where they can give just 1 week notice, then it goes up to 4 weeks.