PDA

View Full Version : Malicious complaints

Pipsqueak
03-01-2011, 09:26 PM
Its got me thinking (not always a good thing:laughing: ) in light of the horrendous experiences some people have with malicious and false complaints, parents telling lies about us (meaning our business etc)

what could be done to support us more?
what could we do to protect ourselves better?
could NCMA do anything/put something into place to protect us better?

of course Ofsted have to investigate complaints but could they do anything differently?

is this something that we should be raising with NCMA?

thoughts???? discuss..........

Chimps Childminding
03-01-2011, 09:36 PM
I agree that parents seem to think that if they don't want to pay up they can just make up some fictional complaint and get Ofsted round and we will let them off!!! :angry: But as to what can be done about it ???????????????? like you say Ofsted have to investigate, and to be honest they must get fed up of sending inspectors round to investigate a complaint only to discover its a complete fabrication :angry: :angry: Just not sure what the answer is :rolleyes:

peanuts
03-01-2011, 10:10 PM
some penalty against the parent if complaint is unfounded and is only made to get out of paying.

Pipsqueak
03-01-2011, 10:14 PM
some penalty against the parent if complaint is unfounded and is only made to get out of paying.

but how/what though?

blacklisted perhaps????? again not really viable though

Blaze
03-01-2011, 10:19 PM
This is a toughy...the problem is that a lot of the time complaints get intermingled with Child Protection issues...as you say OFSTED have to investigate...on top of this people have the right to complain annonymously & even if they do give their name - you don't find out (unless someone along the line messes up / or the nature of the complaint makes it so that you know who it was via details of the complaint - but even then this won't be confirmed IYSWIM!

Yes things shouldn't be as they are (Having been on the end of malicious complaints from other CM's & a parent not wanting to pay up)...but when you take CP into account it's hard to see a way around it!

Then there's the flip side of complaint investigations not showing up what they should - I know a CM who hurt a child in front of a witness - then lied to the parent about what happened, not knowing that the witness knew the parent - who then reported her to OFSTED...they investigated by letter - & because she didn't fill out an accident report at the time - said it never happened & OFSTED let the whole thing go!:eek:

As i said, it's a toughy!:rolleyes:

pinky33
03-01-2011, 10:28 PM
Obviously you all know we have just had to deal with this.

And I want something to be done about this, something has to be in place to protect us!
Tomorrow I will be calling ncma, and ofsted to see what their stance is on this as mrs O IMHO offered no compasion or advice regarding these issues.

I'm going to call mm also as I want to prosicute the parent for the distress and time wasted, why shouldn't we as childminders be compensated and vindicated.

Hebs
03-01-2011, 10:34 PM
i think the only thing we can do is have CCTV in every room :rolleyes: but even then it wont really protect childminders and yes i do think something should be done to show parents that malicious complaints can come back on them

Pipsqueak
03-01-2011, 10:36 PM
Obviously you all know we have just had to deal with this.

And I want something to be done about this, something has to be in place to protect us!
Tomorrow I will be calling ncma, and ofsted to see what their stance is on this as mrs O IMHO offered no compasion or advice regarding these issues.

I'm going to call mm also as I want to prosicute the parent for the distress and time wasted, why shouldn't we as childminders be compensated and vindicated.

let us know what they say won't you Pinky.

I do believe myself that we should have some form of protection. I understand exactly what Blaze is saying but when allegations and complaints are blatently false, inaccurate and attempts to not pay/cause the minder max distress..... there needs to be some way of redressing this.

Perhaps its Ofsted who need to prosecute for waste of time.

Perhaps it should be warned to parents/other minders that this is what can happen.
again i understand what Blaze is saying - i have reported a minder TWICE because of what she does to the children - with her adult daughter TELLING me whats happened. Even a senior CDO has witnessed and reported and Ofsted could find no evidence..... because the minder lied through her back teeth, refused to answer the door etc.

I know we could pursue legal action for defamatory/libellous/slanderous behaviour/remarks but does NCMA / MM support us in this.
Could we sue for distress caused or loss of business/earnings (if that is what has happened) - especially if OFSTED find teh allegations unfounded.
Again would NcMA support this?

Would NCMA/MM send a letter to the parent/minder saying cease this behaviour otherwise this action could be taken?

pinky33
03-01-2011, 10:55 PM
I sure will report back :)

why are there not workshops on this subject? And never been covered in who minds mag or similar mags that I'm aware of.

I might call the mag editor see if it's something that interest them.

Got to be something collectively we canbdo

kindredspirits
04-01-2011, 07:45 AM
Aside from 'one-off' complaints - i think if we all get parents to complete regular feedback forms we have a way of saying 'well you didn't think that 2 months ago' etc.... (I don't do this - but I think i will! ;) )

Chimps Childminding
04-01-2011, 08:05 AM
Aside from 'one-off' complaints - i think if we all get parents to complete regular feedback forms we have a way of saying 'well you didn't think that 2 months ago' etc.... (I don't do this - but I think i will! ;) )

Actually thats not a bad idea - I confess to sending out questionnairs very rarely, and would like ot think that if parents had a problem they would let me know, but who knows?????????????????? :rolleyes:

Hebs
04-01-2011, 08:12 AM

I do this every 3 months x

Hebs
04-01-2011, 08:15 AM
Actually thats not a bad idea - I confess to sending out questionnairs very rarely, and would like ot think that if parents had a problem they would let me know, but who knows?????????????????? :rolleyes:

Its not about them being able to talk to you its about you being able to prove it should a parent leave and try to make a malicious complaint to get out of paying the notice period x

christine e
04-01-2011, 08:51 AM
Its got me thinking (not always a good thing:laughing: ) in light of the horrendous experiences some people have with malicious and false complaints, parents telling lies about us (meaning our business etc)

what could be done to support us more?
what could we do to protect ourselves better?
could NCMA do anything/put something into place to protect us better?
of course Ofsted have to investigate complaints but could they do anything differently?

is this something that we should be raising with NCMA?

thoughts???? discuss..........

We could suggest this for a forum topic, I think it would follow on from the topic that is coming up at the next forums (whistleblowing!)

Christine

Playmate
04-01-2011, 09:06 AM
We could suggest this for a forum topic, I think it would follow on from the topic that is coming up at the next forums (whistleblowing!)

Christine

Just what I was thinking, sometimes there is a fine line between the subjects and as you say would follow on quite nicely.I'm sure the"blue boy" would love to raise this at the next NPF meeting. He's on a school run at the moment,but I'm sure he will be along later. :D

the happy house
04-01-2011, 09:21 AM
I don't think this is something that we can fully be protected from. Many allegations that are made can't be proven one way or another - often their word against ours - so unless we can can proove beyond any doubt that we haven't done what we've been accused of, well, we're stuck.

What we can do is to try to help ourselves a bit more. Make sure that our policies are as airtight as they can be, contracts are properly completed, everything put in writing and kept professional - so any complaints made via text are responded to in writing with a professional (and not emtional) response with reference to policies, procedures, diary entries etc as our supporting evidence.
We often end up 'getting tough' on policies etc when it's too late. We do it as a response to problems rather than having them sorted in the first place.
I learnt the hard way when I previously childminded and had a parent leave without notice and then make up allegations of bad practice against me to get out of paying.

We are very vulnerable working alone. We often have nobody to support us as a witness when allegations are made and so can't proove that the allegations are false. It would be interesting to hear from the likes of the NCMA and MM to see if they can come up with any other options.

Chimps Childminding
04-01-2011, 09:45 AM
Its not about them being able to talk to you its about you being able to prove it should a parent leave and try to make a malicious complaint to get out of paying the notice period x

True - hadn't thought about it that way :blush: Will look at sending them out more regularly :thumbsup:

ajs
04-01-2011, 10:08 AM
don't forget it's not only parents that make malicious complaints against us

Pipsqueak
04-01-2011, 10:29 AM
Many allegations that are made can't be proven one way or another

Thing is mud sticks doesn't it, not to mention the stress it can cause - not just for the minder but for the whole family

What we can do is to try to help ourselves a bit more.

Thats true but its not always that easy
Make sure that our policies are as airtight as they can be,
but with each of us writing our own policies - without professional guidance - unless they are written into the contract - are they actually worth anything? For instance your sickness policy....... HOW many times has it been told that a parent has fibbed about their child not being ill..... they weren't sick last night....... and then lo and behold your whoel family comes down with same sick bug - and you loose income........ all because one client.

contracts are properly completed,
thats true again but even when you follow advice to the letter you can still be stung

everything put in writing and kept professional - so any complaints made via text are responded to in writing with a professional (and not emtional)

can't argue with that

response with reference to policies, procedures, diary entries etc as our supporting evidence.

We are very vulnerable working alone. We often have nobody to support us as a witness when allegations are made and so can't proove that the allegations are false. It would be interesting to hear from the likes of the NCMA and MM to see if they can come up with any other options.

i agree - it would be interesting to see what NCMA have to say about this.

Pipsqueak
04-01-2011, 10:30 AM
don't forget it's not only parents that make malicious complaints against us

Agreed and that is awful - a systematic assasination by another early years group/setting/organisation etc

the happy house
04-01-2011, 10:49 AM
Pipsqueak, I absolutely agree with your response to my suggestions. I know that there is no foolproof way to protect ourselves. But I have often seen on this forum that complaints have been made against a childminder, but then the childminder themselves hasn't had the policies/contracts etc in place to support themselves.
Yep, if a parent has got it in their head to be malicious they will find a way... but in many cases it seems to happen because the parents have seen an opportunity, and they take advantage to get out of paying. We can minimise the chance of those sort of things happening, but I'm afraid with those seriously nasty minded parents who are determined to stick the knife in, well, we really are quite stuck.

I have every sympathy with anyone going through this. It's so :censored: hard because we so often cannot proove that the parents are lying (just as they can't proove that we have done anything wrong).

newmembie-a
04-01-2011, 07:11 PM
What about the times where there is a genuine complaint but the minder refers to it as a malicious complaint, there is a side to every story no matter which avenue you look at it from!

Pipsqueak
04-01-2011, 09:30 PM
What about the times where there is a genuine complaint but the minder refers to it as a malicious complaint, there is a side to every story no matter which avenue you look at it from!

Of course newmembie - there is always two sides to a story and I would be one of the first to say report shoddy, unprofessional practice. As stated already, I have reported a childminder for appalling practice, so I am not saying that reports should not be made.

But I am talking from a childminders POV - its so wrong that good, decent, hardworking caring childminders are subjected to such horrible and nasty events in their own homes. Normal inspections aren't the most pleasant of experiences and they are routine events, to have your business, livelhood and reputation and health put on the line all because an untrue report seems to be a 'perfect revenge' or get out of paying method

curlycathy
04-01-2011, 09:46 PM
I had a malicious complaint made against me in my first week of childminding - definitely wasnt the parent of the children. It was an "anonymous" person making outrageous and untrue claims about my suitability as a childminder. It was extremely hurtful and distressing made worse by the fact that although I suspect who it was Ofsted won't say - and wouldnt even reveal the name when it became obvious I was being made the target of a vicious hate campaign which has affected my business and my confidence. The police have been involved as some of the things have been really really awful - including my baby's grave being vandalised - and yet Ofsted hide behind data protection and refuse to reveal the name! They could have saved us all so much grief - Ofsted don't seem very concerned about protecting my children I can tell you.

Sorry - rant over.

I agree - there should be some penalty for malicious complaints, even if its just a strongly worded official warning letter.

mrsbumbles
04-01-2011, 09:57 PM
I would just like to know who made the complaint about me, I would confront them myself, calmly of course and ask for an explanation of why they felt the need to make an annonious complaint!

I would be happy then, but i will not be happy untill I find out who did it :angry:
And I will not rest till I do, someone is gonna slip up at some point and give the game away.

I dont think it is fair that that information is not disclosed to us when the complaint has been investigated and given an unfounded verdict

Ripeberry
04-01-2011, 10:00 PM
Curly Cathy, that is awful, attacking a your baby's grave :(
That is the lowest of the low :angry:

Ripeberry
04-01-2011, 10:02 PM
I would just like to know who made the complaint about me, I would confront them myself, calmly of course and ask for an explanation of why they felt the need to make an annonious complaint!

I would be happy then, but i will not be happy untill I find out who did it :angry:
And I will not rest till I do, someone is gonna slip up at some point and give the game away.

I dont think it is fair that that information is not disclosed to us when the complaint has been investigated and given an unfounded verdict

I know what you mean, and I'm the type that NEVER forgets a wrong and I would eventualy find out who it was and they may wish they had never crossed me......Ohh,scaring myself ;)

ajs
04-01-2011, 10:03 PM
I had a malicious complaint made against me in my first week of childminding - definitely wasnt the parent of the children. It was an "anonymous" person making outrageous and untrue claims about my suitability as a childminder. It was extremely hurtful and distressing made worse by the fact that although I suspect who it was Ofsted won't say - and wouldnt even reveal the name when it became obvious I was being made the target of a vicious hate campaign which has affected my business and my confidence. The police have been involved as some of the things have been really really awful - including my baby's grave being vandalised - and yet Ofsted hide behind data protection and refuse to reveal the name! They could have saved us all so much grief - Ofsted don't seem very concerned about protecting my children I can tell you.

Sorry - rant over.

I agree - there should be some penalty for malicious complaints, even if its just a strongly worded official warning letter.

oh that's horrific, you poor thing

i know who made the complaints about me it was also a systematic vicious campaign to discredit me and they even had the police on me
ofsted were horrified and told me to see a solicitor but i just could not face it, i didn't sleep for months and was so ill through it but i held my head up high and walked through town with my mindees and did not allow them to get to me ( externally, internally i was a wreck, I couldn't stop crying and my hubby and i had some brutal arguements)
but now two years on although i am still very scarred i will not allow it to happen again. I haven't changed policies or contracts as they were fine before the complaints but i just don't allow myself to get that close anymore.

curlycathy
04-01-2011, 10:04 PM
The worst of it was that my then 9 year old son was the first to reach the grave that day so he saw it all.

The person behind it all is absolutely sick in the head - I know who it is, they know I know but there is NOTHING I can do to prove it.:veryangry:

Pipsqueak
04-01-2011, 10:36 PM
Oh CurlyCathy that is just breathtakingly awful. AJ - i remember what you went through.
i just don't understand the wanton vileness of some people:panic: :(