PDA

View Full Version : Ofsted have finally rang.

cher25
15-04-2008, 09:11 PM
Hi,

Thought it was about time i wrote something on here, as i look everyday and never write anything.
An ofsted inspecter has finally been in touch, although im yet to ring them back as it was just a message left.
It's took them long enough, ive been registered for over a year and started working in sept. I had to ring them to tell them i was working as they hadn't been in touch at all.
Im now trying to get my policies together and printed out, as only just bought a printer. But im unsure whether to link them into eyfs as my support childminder suggested i do or after reading things on here, just to go ahead and link them into b23.
I only have 1 little girl at the minute, she is 7, and its for a couple of hours 3 days a week after school. But even that varies depending on mam's day off work. But im finding it hard to keep her amused when i do have her. She enjoys drawing and painting, but only if there is something she wants to make. Im useless at that kind of thing and find it hard to think of things to do. Other than that she plays with bricks and dolls, and keeps wanting to play with a toy till, which we take turns to be shopkeeper with. Under her orders!LOL Any suggestions of what i could do on the day of my inspection would be greatly appreciated. I don't make tea for her, so she just has a snack but rarely wants to help me get her fruit, and is more interested in putting the tv on. Which i feel bad for allowing, but she enjoys watching scooby doo.lol
Sorry this message is turning into an essay, but im at a total loss for ideas at the minute. 1 more thing, how do i go about doing observations on a 7 year old and do i really need to?
I will keep looking on here for ideas anyway, and when i find out when the inspection is i will be back on here while panicking.lol
I love this site. :)
From Cher.x

miffy
15-04-2008, 09:34 PM
If your inspection is before September this year which seems likely you will be inspected on B23

Have a look through the activity ideas section for inspiration - there is so much on this site you should find something to help you

Good luck and let us know when they are coming

miffy xx

angeldelight
15-04-2008, 09:34 PM
Hello nice to see you speaking to us and its a lovely essay ha

Your will be inspected on Birth to Three - it does seem daft when so much of our work seems to be aimed now towards EYFS but thats the way it goes for now

You could do some baking with the little girl - cakes - biscuits - give some to the inspector ha

Why not do some paper plate activities with her - simple and cheap and could keep her happy for ages if you concentrate on a topic maybe

There are some ideas here

http://www.dltk-kids.com/animals/paper_plates.html

Hope this helps a little

Good luck

Angel xx

sarah707
16-04-2008, 07:21 AM
If your mindee is 7 you will not need to do any observations or planning under birth to 3 or any other curriculum... she is outside the age range. You just need to show you have the right paperwork for keeping her safe and healthy - info about allergies, permission from parents to take her out etc...

As for activities with her when the inspector comes, I would keep it very low key and do what she wants / what she is used to doing. It's not good for children to be confused that their routines change when inspectors are there - esp not older children - they tend to blurt out embarrassing questions!

With your policies and procedures... I would file them under the Every Child Matters agenda as that is what you will be inspected under...

being healthy
staying safe
enjoying and achieving
positive contribution
organisation

I have put some ideas for these on my website if you want to have a look there or there are tons of suggestions around the forum.

Hope this helps! Ask if there's anything else! :D

mumtodaniel
16-04-2008, 08:03 AM
When I had my inspection on Monday, she did not ask me about birth to three, as like you I do not have any under threes. I showed her something I downloaded on birth to three from the internet, as you cannot get a copy now. She was happy with that. I had no planning on anything for under threes, as will do that when I know I might have some. I did type a list out of themes I plan to do, but these were very general.

She did not mention EYFS and when I mentioned it she said you know more than me and was very vague on the subject.

I wrote in pencil on the top of my policies which national standard they applied to.

Hope this helps.

Maureen

cher25
17-04-2008, 01:20 AM
Thank you all for your help and suggestions.
Not sure when they are coming out, as the days i have the child vary and so do the times. So the inspector will be ringing 1 Monday to find out which days i do have her. Knowing my luck it will be this Monday they ring, panic stations! lol.
Thank you all. Will let you's know how it goes.

From Cher.x

miffy
17-04-2008, 06:12 AM
Good luck - hope you don't have to wait too long

miffy xx

son77
17-04-2008, 08:26 AM
7 year olds can be fun sometimes can't they!

My step daughter has a keyring making kit, very simple but will keep her quiet for a while, not expensive either. Tesco's also sell making purse & handbag foam sewing kits that are cheap & again may keep her interested for a while.

Baking like angel said is good too, kids always enjoy making cakes.

My inspector too was vague on EYFS as yet they've had no training so dont worry about that.

ChocolateChip
17-04-2008, 11:56 AM
Like Sarah I linked my policies to Every Child Matters but in my Care,learning and Play I listed that activities would cover the 6 main learning areas, and that I will implement ideas from the current statutury framework.
Then in my Observations policy I put that I currently use BT3 etc but that it will shortly be changing to EYFS.
I use a big busy book for each child and have put in some photos and a couple of captions linking them to BT3, samples of their artwork, and I have only written a couple of obs. It is all about showing you know what the individual child likes, one of mine just learnt to wave so we did a game called hello-goodbye, hiding things and each other under scarfs, towels, bowls boxes etc and saying hello ball, goodbye car and so on. They like you to cover next steps to show what you will do to help the child on the next stage.
Sorry, I've just rattled on and on, happy to send you anything if you want!

ChocolateChip
17-04-2008, 12:26 PM
sorry cher, forget all that prattle, didn't read ir properly and have just realised you only have a 7yr old!

If she likes scooby doo how about printing off some colouring pages, or getting her to design a board game on paper which could be laminated if you have one, or drawing and cutting out the characters to make a mini role play set.

ma7ie
17-04-2008, 01:03 PM
Good luck. Hope you don't have to wait too long.:)

tulip0803
17-04-2008, 01:22 PM
What about beads or Hama beads. The older ones that I used to have loved making necklaces and things using the hamas beads.