PDA

View Full Version : I would like some advice about this form OFSTED have sent me (RAF related)

QueenoftheSouth
03-01-2011, 07:28 PM
My husband is in the military. We lived in Scotland from 2002-2007, during this time I was a CM. Then we moved to hampshire. Now in Yorkshire and registering as a CM. I have done all the courses, filled in all the forms etc. Then on Friday we (husand and I) got 2 forms through from OFSTEd, saying that " they required an additional check to be carried out by SSAFFA (forces welfare/socialwork) the form says on the front that OFSTED are required to carry out checks to establish the suitability of a person to work with children. For persons who have lived or worked on a military base overseas it is difficult to carry out the standard checks
Now I understand that, but at no time have I lived in an overseas country with or without the military.
OFSTED, when i rang them just kept saying that it was a requirement of registration that i filled it in but couldn't tell me why. Then my husband rang them up and they told him that it's because the military in Scotland (and wales, if I'd lived there) are different and unregulated in private rented houses (which is what MQ are) so that's why SSAFFA need to do checks. However, SSAFFA won't have a clue who we are as they only keep records if someone appears on their radar(marriage break up, domestic violnece, children etc)
Can anyone advise me what to do, as I am at a loss to understand why and wonder if anyone else has had these forms, anyone who has lived in Uk that is

sarah707
03-01-2011, 08:26 PM
It is usual for anyone with a military background to need a SSAFFA check.

It works in exactly the same way as a Social Services check - if you haven't done anything to bring yourself to their attention then that is what they report back to Ofsted.

However if there have been issues then they will report those as well. SSAFFA might deal with things that the local police or Social Services wouldn't get involved with, keeping it 'in house' on the base so Ofsted have to approach them.

Unfortunately you might find it holds up your registration by possibly up to a few months... depending on how long it takes them to process the forms but otherwise it shouldn't be an issue.

Welcome to the forum :D

QueenoftheSouth
13-01-2011, 01:49 PM
I'm hoping it doesn't take a few months. I first applied to OFSTED way back in october and only this week got my CRB forms to fill in

Rubybubbles
13-02-2011, 10:05 AM
yup, sounds right:( It does take a while to go through I am afraid! When I moved from Scotland in 2005 down to Bedfordshire I didn't have to do one (think I was lucky TBH) but most of the other RAF girls on here had to do the SAFFA check!

Our next move is likey to be yorkshire;) not until Jan 13 now:rolleyes: but likey!

Happy Gardener
13-02-2011, 04:30 PM
My one took about 7 weeks. It was the last thing that I was waiting for. I think that they aim to have them completed within 2 mths. Good luck!