PDA

View Full Version : Would it be reasonable to expect..........

clio0602
03-01-2011, 06:33 PM
4 and 7yr olds not to touch my dd's new dolls house???

DD has new house for xmas and its too big to be carting up and downstairs every day and shes only 2 so can't play upstairs on own in her room with it.

I have put it in the corner nxt to the couch with the pouffe in front of it so my 1yr mindee cant get to it but the roof can be seen over the top.

Do you think its mean not letting mindees play with it when they can see it? DD won't be playing with it while mindees are here. Do you think they'll play with it anyway? Not sure what else to do or she'll never be able to use it :(

sweets
03-01-2011, 06:37 PM
i do think it would be a bit mean if they can see it but not play with it.

why dont you have a rule that it can only be played with when you are joining in with them, then it makes it a special toy thats only used now and again.

Twinkles
03-01-2011, 06:41 PM
Put a sheet over it and say it only comes out on special occasions.

It does seem a bit mean on the surface of it. But we've all had ( many many ) toys ruined or broken by mindees and I can see why you want to keep it special.

Mrs Pootle
03-01-2011, 06:46 PM
I don't think you are being unreasonable, the dolls house is out of the way and if you don't want mindees to play with it then that is your decision. If you are worried because they can see the roof, why not put a cover (eg a teatowel) over it so that it is less obvious.

I think it is only fair that you keep certain toys for your own childs use, and I certainly don't feel that I have to let mindees play with everything they can see in my house. There are plenty of things that I do not want them to play with due to age suitablilty for example, and so if they ask the answer is no. Maybe I am just strict. :blush:

Daftbat
03-01-2011, 06:47 PM
I don't think its being mean at all! You have to combine family life and work and that doesn't have to mean that mindees get to have everything they want or see. I think the precautions you have taken to stop the little getting at it are enough and the older ones just need to be told that it is not part of the childminding toys and therefore is not to be touched.

clio0602
03-01-2011, 06:55 PM
Ahhhhh yes I'll put a throw over so they cant see it. Doh didn't think of doing that :o

I really want to keep it just for her as its the only thing she said she wants to keep for herself and shares everything else. Thanks xx

mushpea
03-01-2011, 07:49 PM
I dont think its mean as long as your not letting your little one play with it whilst they are there,,, is she is playing with it when they are there then that would be mean,, my kids have stuff the mindees dont use but they are older and their stuff is upstairs,,, we have the wii that the mindees can use but they are not allowed on the xbox so that stays upstairs although thanks to my sons verbal dioreah they do know its there!

snufflepuff
03-01-2011, 08:48 PM
I don't think that is mean at all! It's your daughters home and this is her new toy, if she wants to keep it to herself then she should be able to. Even the most gentle and careful child could accidently break it and she would be heartbroken! I'd try to keep it out of sight like others suggested by covering it, just so the temptation isn't there.

PixiePetal
03-01-2011, 08:50 PM
I have a dolls house in my playroom - it was my DDs who is now 16 but she would like it to stay in reasonable played condition, so I keep it for the older ones. I turn it to face the wall when the tinies are in - don't want them chewing all the furniture and dolls (mind you our puppy ate a paramedics hand off :rolleyes: )

I have a duplo house and FP one in the shed which I may bring in for the 1yr old

SamWilliams1980
03-01-2011, 10:00 PM
I don't think its being mean at all! You have to combine family life and work and that doesn't have to mean that mindees get to have everything they want or see. I think the precautions you have taken to stop the little getting at it are enough and the older ones just need to be told that it is not part of the childminding toys and therefore is not to be touched.

I completely agree. Your house, your business your rules. If you say they are not allowed then that is it. Be firm and engage them in somehting else if they ask to play with it. :)

Noomie
03-01-2011, 11:06 PM
It's a toughie as some toys you would prefer kept for just your own children. They may be special gifts from you or family. But it's so hard keeping 'business' toys from personal ones. And you want your own children to be able to play with their toys when they want to but it's not fair to stop mindees playing with them.

In the end, if you feel this way, perhaps it should be kept away and out for weekends or special times when you supervise the play.

Try different ways and see which way works for you.

Pipsqueak
04-01-2011, 08:32 AM

AGreed:thumbsup:

Children have to learn to not touch and paw everything and not everything belongs to them either (ie the tv, dvd etc)