PDA

View Full Version : parent going on maternity leave

mufftie
03-01-2011, 05:15 PM
what do you all charge ? i have a 3 yr old girl who comes 4 days a week flexi hours but an average of 30 hours , mum is soon to be going on maternity leave and im not sure what to charge as a retainer am i better off sugesting she still uses her space for the 3 yr old for a minimum of hours acceptable to us both, to keep her place or do i just charge a retainer if so how much , as she says she wants them both to come back after her leave but theres no garantee that she wont change her mind and i cant afford to take no money and keep 2 places vacant
+

rickysmiths
03-01-2011, 05:32 PM
When a mum of mine did this the child came to me one day a week to keep the continuety and then mum paid a retainer to the unused days. I had 4 under 5s at the time so I was a bit soft and charged about 25% of the fee as a retainer.

Chatterbox Childcare
03-01-2011, 05:35 PM
I have this at the moment. Mum pays me for the days she wants guaranteed for one child and he comes and the baby will come eventually but I don't charge anything

You could still take on another one whilst you are waiting and apply for a variation when the baby comes along

flowerpots
03-01-2011, 05:38 PM
does mum recieve tax credits? if she does then she will still recieve the same amount while she is on mat leave so then you wont feel bad charging half fee deposit at least :thumbsup:

Mouse
03-01-2011, 06:25 PM
I've had 2 go on maternity leave and one going on it soon.

For one of them the child had been coming 3 varying days, so while the mum was on maternity leave the lo came for 2 set days. I only charged for those 2 days. I didn't charge a retainer for the baby as I didn't actually have the space until just before she was due to start when an older one left to go to school.

Another one had been coming 2 days & I said I was prepared to have her come just one day a week to keep the space, but mum decided she couldn't afford that. They still hope to bring both children here when mum goes back to work in April, but it doesn't look like I'll have the space. That was the risk they took by not paying to keep a space open.

The one due to go on leave soon will keep bringing her son the 2 days a week that he does now. Again, I won't charge a retainer for the baby as I don't actually have a space for it & will have to apply for a variation nearer the time. Mum is planning to take a whole year off, so I'm not stressing about it yet - so much can change within a year!

If I were you I'd suggest that mum keeps bringing the mindee for the minimum hours you're prepared to accept, then if you take someone else on in the meantime, apply for a variation when it comes time for the baby to come to you.

mufftie
03-01-2011, 07:05 PM
ok i think i will ask her to use a minimum set hours , she dosnt get tax credit but the child loves coming to me and mum should benefit from having a break anyway , i just hope financially they can manage it , ill have to have a chat with her about her plans

Chimps Childminding
03-01-2011, 10:01 PM
I have one on maternity leave at present. I only have her dd before and after school, but she is going to continue coming on her 2 days a) to keep her space b) she loves coming c) gives mum a bit of a break from having to do school run with baby (dad drops off and collects from me).

Mum has asked me to have baby from summer - I am not charging to keep space even tho I am losing money as I have had their dd since she was 5 months old (now 4 1/2) and they are a lovely family :)

SYLVIA
04-01-2011, 07:42 PM
I have this at the moment. Mum pays me for the days she wants guaranteed for one child and he comes and the baby will come eventually but I don't charge anything

You could still take on another one whilst you are waiting and apply for a variation when the baby comes along

Thats interesting debbie, do you think ofsted would grant a variation? I may be in this position and I'm really unsure what to do.

charleyfarley
04-01-2011, 07:54 PM
I have one mom on maternity leave at the moment, lo has still been coming on contracted days as mom wants to keep his routine as much as possible, although he does get dropped off a lot later in the mornings :D

Like Debbie I haven't charged for the babies place, who starts in May. I also have a lo starting beginning of March so will need a variation. I was told at my inspection that I would have no problems getting a variation due to having a sibling already :thumbsup:

Carol xx

georgie456
04-01-2011, 07:57 PM

This is exactly what I am doing at the moment. Mum is still sending her child 2 days a week to keep continuity and in Sept both children will return full time. I will need a variation for the new one in Sept but as he is a sibling it should be ok (did I just jinx myself there?!)

SYLVIA
04-01-2011, 08:09 PM
This is exactly what I am doing at the moment. Mum is still sending her child 2 days a week to keep continuity and in Sept both children will return full time. I will need a variation for the new one in Sept but as he is a sibling it should be ok (did I just jinx myself there?!)

I know I'm being a pest now but when will be apply for a variation. I think I will like to know that it is ok well before the baby is due to start, which is Sept

mufftie
04-01-2011, 09:09 PM
interesting about the variation , i never thought of that , i should be ok aswel as im registering my daughter as an assistant so should be no problems with numbers should i take on another whilst waiting for the baby

georgie456
04-01-2011, 09:15 PM
I know I'm being a pest now but when will be apply for a variation. I think I will like to know that it is ok well before the baby is due to start, which is Sept

I will probaby apply around July time to make sure that there is plenty of time as they can take ages sometimes! As soon as mum confirms what hours etc she wants I will be in contact with Ofsted. I had a variation before that took about 3 weeks so I don't want to get caught out..... (p.s you are not a pest!)

SYLVIA
04-01-2011, 10:11 PM
I will probaby apply around July time to make sure that there is plenty of time as they can take ages sometimes! As soon as mum confirms what hours etc she wants I will be in contact with Ofsted. I had a variation before that took about 3 weeks so I don't want to get caught out..... (p.s you are not a pest!)

OK thanks for your advice.