PDA

View Full Version : Fire / emergency escape bag

sarah707
03-01-2011, 03:28 PM
Do you have one? What do you keep in it?

I need to update the contents in view of some of the children's changing needs. At the moment I have...

Blankets - those insulating silver coloured ones

Thick socks - 2 pairs

First aid kit - small one mostly containing plasters, eye wash and bandages

Emergency info booklet for all the children / adults

Pack of tissues

Small bottle of water

Spare garage key - in case the buggy is not out for some reason

Torch...

Any more ideas guys please? :D

miffy
03-01-2011, 03:33 PM
I don't have one of these but I'm curious................

where do you keep it?

how can you be sure you'll be able to get to it in a fire?

or do you have more than one, so you can leave one by every exit?

Is it really necessary? Because in a true emergency all that matters is getting yourself and the children out as safely and quickly as possible.

Miffy xx

Bear23
03-01-2011, 03:34 PM
goodness me
I don't have one :eek: Do i need one ????

Ok off to make one >>>>>>>>>>

Hebs
03-01-2011, 03:35 PM
:panic: :panic:

not more for me to think about

Mouse
03-01-2011, 03:39 PM
I just have the bag that I take with me on outings (well, any time we leave the house). It sits by the front door, so I would grab it on the way out. It's not particularly for emergencies, but i suppose it would be useful in the event of one. If we leave by the back door we end up in the garden & I could get a lot of what we need from the shed (don't tell anyone, but it's never locked :blush: )

My bag has got:

my contact book - my info & emergency contact details, children's names, DoB's, Dr's details, contact details and a signed statement that I can seek/administer emergency first aid (can't remember the exact wording).

small first aid kit with foil blanket, plasters, scissors etc

baby wipes

packets of raisins/dried fruit

tissues

nappy sacks (useful for all rubbish)

reins/wrist strap

pen/paper

couple of small toys

a couple of pounds in change

patevans
03-01-2011, 03:40 PM
I have the foil blankets, bottle of water, spare nappies, wipes, tissues, first aid kit in the back of my car thats just because I worry about breaking down :laughing:

sarah707
03-01-2011, 03:41 PM
Oh crikey sorry guys!! I have had one for years! :laughing: I thought everyone had one :blush:

My friend made it for me out of red material.

it sits on a hook in the corner of my kitchen as that is somewhere one of us would normally pass by to get out.

One of the adults (including my teens) knows to grab it as we go past to exit the house - and the place it's in covers every door.

I'm thinking about another post I answered today and the individual children's needs... they change depending on the child don't they?

So my little 5 year old needs socks... my little baby needs an inhaler added and I've just done that... my little 3 year old gets very cold very quickly and needs a blanket etc...

:D

sarah707
03-01-2011, 03:42 PM
I have the foil blankets, bottle of water, spare nappies, wipes, tissues, first aid kit in the back of my car thats just because I worry about breaking down :laughing:

Oh that's a good idea!

I could have a box of essentials including nappies etc in my car boot and a spare car key in my emergency bag.

Thank you! :clapping:

miffy
03-01-2011, 03:45 PM
Oh that's a good idea!

I could have a box of essentials including nappies etc in my car boot and a spare car key in my emergency bag.

Thank you! :clapping:

And don't forget to update your sef showing how you've reflected on and updated your practice! :D :thumbsup:

Miffy xx

Rubybubbles
03-01-2011, 07:31 PM
good grief:laughing:

just when you think you have covered everything :rolleyes: :D

manjay
03-01-2011, 07:39 PM
I have something similar in our shed. In fact my inspector asked me about how I would keep babies warm if we had to evacuate in an emergency. I know there is always someone close by in our village who would help but would hate to think of us freezing in the snow:rolleyes: I also have similar in the boot of my car:thumbsup:

PixiePetal
03-01-2011, 07:39 PM
I don't do everything I read on the forum, but this makes sense to me.

I have a sort of soft briefcase which i put my register etc in during the day when I am home - has emergency cards in it too and is kept just inside playroom door so where we are most of the time.

I bought a red drawstring bag recently and think I will add some bits to that to cover immediate needs in case of emergency. Of course if it came to it I would just run with the kids and get out with or without bag. contacts are on my phone too which I keep in the side of my bra :laughing: no pockets on my skirts :blush:

Shivvie
03-01-2011, 09:14 PM
I have a plastic box which I keep on top of my fridge/freezer. It contains a first aid kit, insulating blankets, contact numbers for parents, some rain capes (unused as they would be too big to store if they had), packet of biscuits, wipes and nappies. It did used to contain a spare charged mobile phone, but we both have our phones with us all the time, so I removed this (saves remembering to charge it ;) ).

Chimps Childminding
03-01-2011, 11:31 PM
I don't have an emergency bag, but I leave my changing bag in the back of the car - will add a couple of foil blankets and a few more bits and pieces to it! Though to be honest we know so many people on our estate, I am sure not all of them would leave us out in the cold :eek: she says hopefully :blush:

madwoman
06-01-2011, 08:07 AM
This is a very good idea, i am now off to sort one out for myself, thanx guys, useful as always xx

singingcactus
06-01-2011, 10:15 AM
I keep the stuff I need for each day in a bag in the buggy, I put stuff in it each morning before the kids arrive so all their basic needs are covered. We live on an RAF base, so if there was an emergency there are plenty of places for us to go to, so will not be adding emergency blankets etc to the stash - although I do have emergency hiking kit (whistle, silver blankets etc) and winter survival kit in the car.
But in an emergency I will get the kids and leave the house, I won't be faffing around getting bags, or keys or anything else. I'll get the kids, go to a friends house or to DH's work (2 minute walk) or to the community centre, cafe, or even the school if necessary.

maisiemog
06-01-2011, 09:47 PM
Hadn't even thought about it but I guess my changing bag covers this. It has spare clothes etc for each child, emergency contacts and emergency medical treatment form. I also keep spare change, snacks and so on in there. Will get a couple of silver foil blankets I think.

I keep it in my dining room and wherever I am in the house I would have to go past where I keep the bag on my way out so guess it covers us.

Dont have access to a car during minding hours so dont need to worry about that one!!!