PDA

View Full Version : Where do you get your house insurance?

karensmart4
03-01-2011, 02:41 PM
I am registered for 12 children - 8 under 5's

My house insurance is currently with Direct Line and it's £742.00 a year :(

The Juggler
03-01-2011, 02:48 PM
Liverpool victoria are good. I'm with them and they cover accidental damage to soft furnishings when minding also which some companies don't:)

sweets
03-01-2011, 03:16 PM
try sheilas wheels, they gave me the best quote by far last year when i renewed.

karensmart4
03-01-2011, 03:18 PM
Thank you, will try both of those and I did mean 'House' not 'ouse' ooops :blush:

sarah707
03-01-2011, 03:22 PM
Thank you, will try both of those and I did mean 'House' not 'ouse' ooops :blush:

I just changed it for you so the thread shows up in Google searches :laughing:

I have house insurance with Churchill at the moment and they were competitive :D

Lems
03-01-2011, 03:32 PM
House insurance never even crossed my mind:blush:
We have the norm house insurances but do we 'have' to have it to cover mindees?? As I very much doubt I'd claim on something they caused (iyswim) havin 4 lively lo's I dont think a mindees could 'destroy' something they hadnt already:blush:
Sorry to hijack:blush:

sarah707
03-01-2011, 03:44 PM
We have the norm house insurances but do we 'have' to have it to cover mindees?? As I very much doubt I'd claim on something they caused (iyswim) havin 4 lively lo's I dont think a mindees could 'destroy' something they hadnt already:blush:

You must inform your house insurance that you work from home and your job - or you might not be insured if you claim, even for something you / your family do.

Also you may have to change company so that you get accidental damage.

hth :D

karensmart4
03-01-2011, 04:01 PM

When we changed our motgage company they suggested we use their insurance company :rolleyes: but we were refused because of my job, they said that the underwriters were Lloyds and they wont have you if you look after other peoples children in your home. So I had to look around for a company that would allow us, and in 8 years we have never had to make a claim :(

Chatterbox Childcare
03-01-2011, 04:30 PM
I am with Churchill and they are the same company as Shielas Wheels and Direct Line

However, when my renewal came through it was 75% up on last year so I let it lapse at midnight and took out a new policy at 8am and it was cheaper than the previous year. They have a blanket cover of approx £500,000 for the house and £100,000 for contents and my total was around £250

karensmart4
03-01-2011, 04:50 PM
Thank you Debbie, thats a £500 saving!!!!!!!

rickysmiths
03-01-2011, 04:58 PM
I'm the same as Debbie. Been insured with Churchill for years but have to play the game at renewal time to get the best price! They do cover Accidental damage at the moment. Though in 17yrs I've never needed to make a claim.

karensmart4
03-01-2011, 05:54 PM
Well just tried Churchill and they don't want me because I live in an area likely to flood.......We have never been flooded, but less than a mile away has been :(

Tried Liverpool Victoria, they said no because I run a business from home!

Asda said £60.30 dep and £26.96 a mth for 10 mths so a £500 saving on what I'm currently paying, I think I will go with that one. Another one about the same price was Home Protect but the access was more.

When I did a search, only 4 company's would accept me.

The Juggler
03-01-2011, 06:22 PM
Well just tried Churchill and they don't want me because I live in an area likely to flood.......We have never been flooded, but less than a mile away has been :(

Tried Liverpool Victoria, they said no because I run a business from home!

Asda said £60.30 dep and £26.96 a mth for 10 mths so a £500 saving on what I'm currently paying, I think I will go with that one. Another one about the same price was Home Protect but the access was more.

When I did a search, only 4 company's would accept me.

that's weird cos they insure me - sounds like they have some odd people on their sales line - might just call and double check they haven't changed their policy though we discusssed it at lenght when I took it out.:panic:

JCrakers
05-01-2011, 09:17 AM
I'm with Privilege. £35 a month which includes travel ins too. Accidental damage for building and contents.Legal stuff and everything else.
Ive been with Tesco in the past but they wouldnt insure me for accidental damage on contents due to working as a childminder

Becky

emmaflossie
05-01-2011, 10:32 AM
Im direct through my bank barclays, they wont insure me for something a mindee breaks during working hours, but i guess nothing will ever get broke in them hours!??? lol

i pay £24 a month thats just for contents insurance no building though as i rent

i walked into the bank they made a phone call popped down that im a cm and it was all done. which was the main reason for choosing them as it was so easy

emmaflossie
05-01-2011, 10:33 AM
oh and just to clarify i am covered for accidental damage outside of minded hours! :)

appleblossom
05-01-2011, 10:12 PM
I changed my Third Party Insurance from NCMA to Morton Michel last year. So when my house insurance was due for renewal in December I thought I'd get a quote from MM. My cover was with Bluefin (formerly HomeMinder through NCMA).

Well I was shocked to be told by Morton Michel that they wouldn't give me accidental damage cover. The premium even so was only slightly lower than Bluefin. Also, we have our bicycles covered for up to £1,000 each with Bluefin. MM wouldn't do that even for an additional premium. So I stuck with Bluefin.