PDA

View Full Version : does this sound ok?

CAZMCA
03-01-2011, 10:39 AM
i wanted to do monthly themes with the children but all the children are under 3 and from reading through sarahs ebooks and website i have seen that you do not need to do much planning for them.

i understand the h (2yrs) wont really understand all about chinese new year and j (1yr) is only interested in putting things in his mouth and cars.

h loves nursery rhymes, as done my own dd (nearly 3) and j loves hearing us sing them and has started to join in with the actions to twinkle twinkle.

my own dd is really struggling with colours and really needs the added help and i know planning shouldn't reflect your own childrens learning needs but i really think h will benefit from doing this aswell.

so i wondered about doing a different colour and nursery rhyme theme each week, we could gather lots of things in the chosen colour of the week and make a display, use that colour to paint things etc etc etc then we could use a different nursery rhyme to sing during our sing times using props.

do u think this sounds ok? or will it cause problems?

advice is greatly appreciated

xx caz

sarah707
03-01-2011, 10:42 AM
You know the children best and if you think that doing this kind of activity will benefit them then go with it!!

I have a book of the week and a basket with themed contents - it's not specifically relevant to the little ones but if they take an interest in it then we have a look through and chat about the contents.

Of course you should follow your own child's interests and learning styles / needs ... they are important too :D

CAZMCA
03-01-2011, 11:01 AM
didn't think of a book of the week lol its the simple things i forget :laughing:

FussyElmo
03-01-2011, 11:40 AM
Cant remember which course I went on which recommended doing a new song/nursery rhyme each week It worked well when I had my pre schoolers especially if the parents would get on board and do it at home :thumbsup:

gigglinggoblin
03-01-2011, 11:50 AM
I always included my own children in my planning, cant see any reason not to.