PDA

View Full Version : Tips on evacuation procedure please?

SamBaker
02-01-2011, 09:44 PM
I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips on how you do your evacuation/fire drills. I have got my inspection next thursday and just want to double check everything.
Do those of you that have a dog take it with you? and what do you all do about shoes? Obviously in a real thing I wouldn't worry about them but for the fire drills I feel a bit bad about taking the children outside with out shoes and coats on.
Any ideas would greatly appreciated :D

Zoomie
02-01-2011, 09:47 PM
I used to leave everything (don't have a dog, but i would take my dog if it was easily done.) but cos the weather has changed, I have reviewed the situation and decided that we will take coats and shoes to be put on when we are safely at our assembly point.

I keep all shoes and coats at the door anyway.

Do a practice the first day you can (not inspection day) and review it. Shows reflective practice.

Trouble
02-01-2011, 10:11 PM
If you have to evacuate

get kids and your fire drill book which should be up to date

leave everything apart from a phone and a book( with all the names and phone numbers of your kids parents in the rest is trivia)l

including pets and shoes:(

sarah707
03-01-2011, 12:46 PM
We have 3 possible exits in case of fire or emergency and only 1 takes us past shoes and coats...

This is something I have thought about over the years, especially as I have one child who is really phobic about getting his feet wet and won't go out in the rain... mum now sends slippers.

Another child screams if it's cold outside but I can hook him under my arm and just go.

My main worry would be illness as one of the babies has bad asthma which reacts to changes in temperature so I now make sure I have a buggy outside within easy reach of all 3 exits with a cosytoes for him.

You know your children best... make it work for different combinations of them.

Hth :D

Mouse
03-01-2011, 01:45 PM
If we leave by the front door, we pass by the coats & shoes, so I would grab them. If we leave by the back door we don't pass by anything, but we would end up near the shed where the pushchairs are kept, so I could put lo's in there to keep warm.

As it is at the moment, I have all 1yr olds and a just 2yr old, so it really is a case of me picking them up & carrying them all outside. It might not be very comfortable for any of us, but it shows that in a real emergency I could manage to get them all outside :thumbsup:

flowerpots
03-01-2011, 02:09 PM
are you talking about doing a practice fire drill with the children? if you are then i get the children sit them down and explain what we are going to do and why, and in the winter i put their coats and shoes on and we practice walking sensibly to evac point. in summer we practice without everything. i write up what happened and how we can improve hth :)

SamBaker
03-01-2011, 09:07 PM
Thank you allf or your help, I have now got a few ideas on what to do, now just got to get my plan written!