PDA

View Full Version : Question (hypothetical) - Confidentiality

Pipsqueak
02-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Ok was wondering what would you do with this scenario:

You have a parent who you know is trying to wriggle out of paying the notice period with nitpicky 'issues' that have never been mentioned before - in actual fact the parent has given you good feedback and a reference.

The parent posts on several forums (and for instance this one as well)asking for 'help' about her problem with her childminder. However the childminder can prove these 'issues' and 'problems' are non-starters, lies and can be totally dispproved.

However, the minder then discovers the parent is posting 'her issues' but is posting potentially identifiable info about you (the minder) and setting.

Would you be tackling the parent about their lack of confidentiality? Would you be tackling them about the fibs they are making up?

Playmate
02-01-2011, 01:21 PM
If I definately knew they were refering to me and could definately tell they were not telling the truth, then yes. Be interesting to ask ofsted what they think. I personally feel we should be able to complain about this sort of behaviour. Maybe in ou confidentiality policies we should ask parents to respect our confidentiality as well as theirs?

Mookins
02-01-2011, 01:21 PM
i would be terminating with imediate effect keeping proof of the breaches of confidentiality.would pre warn ofsted of possible complaint as this person sounds like a pain, would not risk the potential hazzards this one person could cause for many others

xxx

Chatterbox Childcare
02-01-2011, 01:33 PM
If it were obvious that it was me I would be asking for a meeting to tackle both issues

Hebs
02-01-2011, 01:51 PM
If I definately knew they were refering to me and could definately tell they were not telling the truth, then yes. Be interesting to ask ofsted what they think. I personally feel we should be able to complain about this sort of behaviour. Maybe in ou confidentiality policies we should ask parents to respect our confidentiality as well as theirs?

yes it is interesting that people only view confidentiality as the childminders responsability

maybe this is something we should ask Ofsted for clarification on?

Minstrel
02-01-2011, 01:58 PM
Same as Debbie. Would call a meeting with the parent and lay it all out on the table.

:)

flowerpots
02-01-2011, 02:06 PM
i would be calling the parent to arrange a meeting with printed copies of whatever has been posted, to see what the problem is.:(

In my confidentiality policy i have a statement to say that parents are welcome in my home but must abide by the same confidentiality that i do and not repeat any information heard or learned about me or my family. :thumbsup:

Carol M
02-01-2011, 05:20 PM
Absolutely.
Would be discussing with parent with evidence of breach of policy!
I also ask parents to respect mine and my families confidentiality likewise!!
Carol xx

mufftie
02-01-2011, 05:24 PM
most definately confront her , its your business she is potentially ruining by making accusations that arnt true

The Juggler
02-01-2011, 05:50 PM
I would confront parent if I could prove it but technically if they are lies is it a breach of confidentiality or is it defamation??

Playmate
02-01-2011, 07:13 PM
i would be calling the parent to arrange a meeting with printed copies of whatever has been posted, to see what the problem is.:(

In my confidentiality policy i have a statement to say that parents are welcome in my home but must abide by the same confidentiality that i do and not repeat any information heard or learned about me or my family. :thumbsup:

mmmm:idea: I think we need to be checking our policy and maybe changing a few words. We had a problem before Xmas with a family and them talking to another CM which I wasn't happy about.

love381
02-01-2011, 07:23 PM
[/COLOR]

mmmm:idea: I think we need to be checking our policy and maybe changing a few words. We had a problem before Xmas with a family and them talking to another CM which I wasn't happy about.

It's always the wording that gets people out of everything!!! Grrrrrrrrrr!!

x

sarah707
02-01-2011, 07:50 PM
My confidentiality policy says that if I have proof that a family has broken my / our confidentiality then I will terminate with immediate effect.

Confidentiality has to work both ways.

So to answer your question... yes I would tackle the parent with written proof of what has been said about me.

I would also terminate the contract due to the confidentiality issue... and send the final bill along with any late fees, a copy of the contract and a copy of the confidentiality policy with the section clearly highlighted.

I would also speak to the owners of the forums involved and respectfully request the posts to be removed as they are libellous.

Hugs to whoever this might hypothetically be happening to x

newmembie-a
02-01-2011, 09:40 PM
Parents aren't bound to the same rules as a childminder unless its in the contract, but I think it's just common sense the reason I haven't disclosed such information that my child's minder has told me about the other children in their care. I think it's just common courtesy at the end of the day.

Blaze
02-01-2011, 09:41 PM
As above - Sarah took the words right out of my mouth!:angry:

kindredspirits
03-01-2011, 11:54 AM
I agree - they have no 'duty' to keep confidentialilty BUT I would personally tackle any defamation that they were doing as itis potentially damaging to business.

snowdrop
03-01-2011, 01:10 PM
Sorry but I think parents do have a duty to keep things discussed between us confidentual. If we cant about them, why do they think they have the right to breach our confidentialilty

Confidentiality has to work both ways.

I have this on my confidentialilty policy

Any information discussed between us about me and my family should be treated with the same respect and not shared without my or their permission.

flowerpots
03-01-2011, 02:23 PM
parents must read, agree and sign my confidentialty agreement because they MUST abide by it if they want to use my services. If they dont want to, then they can go elsewhere!:(

patevans
03-01-2011, 02:32 PM
In my confidentiality policy i have a statement to say that parents are welcome in my home but must abide by the same confidentiality that i do and not repeat any information heard or learned about me or my family

I dont have anything like this in my policy, would anyone mind sharing the wording from there policy please so I can update it?

flowerpots
03-01-2011, 02:46 PM
I dont have anything like this in my policy, would anyone mind sharing the wording from there policy please so I can update it?

il pm you mine. xxxx