PDA

View Full Version : How to get them playing out?

sweets
02-01-2011, 09:43 AM
my mindees dont play out enough in the garden, they get plenty of fresh air tho as we usually go somewhere every morning either a walk in the park or zoo or sometimes just a walk to the childrens centre. But i would like them to use the garden more.

at this time of year i block of the grass area and just let them on the patio which is small but still room enough to play. but when i let them out they want to come in after 5 mins!

on the patio i have a few ride ons, a little tikes house, sandpit and some balls. they sandpit i know needs cleaning as its full of algae so i am going to empty it today and just things like dried pasta in it for them to play in during the winter.

but waas just wondering what else you could have on a patio to play with?

i have a little slide and 3 tot rocker but they are in the grass which i dont want ruining, would it be safe enough to put these on the patio or decking or is that a no no?

also any other suggestion of what could go in the sandpit?

flowerpots
02-01-2011, 09:47 AM
you can get little crash mats to go at the bottom of the slide, i sometimes just put rice in my sandpit, the kids live it, i hide little things in there and the very little ones love looking for them. my mindees love being outside when im outside with them but if im inside while they are outside they will only last 10mins or so. xxx

mama2three
02-01-2011, 10:09 AM
We take whatever we are playing outside with us ! Things do get dirty , but they wash!

sweets
02-01-2011, 10:13 AM
We take whatever we are playing outside with us ! Things do get dirty , but they wash!

i know we are supposed to let them do that, but i like my inside toys to stay indoors. my patio quite often is a bit mucky with a few leaves etc and i will not have my toys ruined. its different in summer when they are taking dollies out to have a picnic etc.

i want them to be able to just put thier coats on and go out without me having to clean all the area first or set things out.

Louise0208
02-01-2011, 10:17 AM
i have fake grass so this is not an issue....but i still have problems getting them out.

the only thing they want to play on is the trampoline, but of course there s always one that has to get carried away so i have to restrict & regulate play on there!......they also cant play on the trampoline without shrieking :angry:

how about a gardening tub for them each that they can care for during the year? nothing will grow atm but they can make there own flowers to stick in :thumbsup:

flowerpots
02-01-2011, 11:00 AM
how about a gardening tub for them each that they can care for during the year? nothing will grow atm but they can make there own flowers to stick in :thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

oooh thats a fab idea:idea: , its a year long thing they can each do and be proud of, i might steal it if thats ok? xxx

:thumbsup:

sarah707
02-01-2011, 11:12 AM
I have so many fab ideas and I plan them for every day...

But at the moment I only have one child who actually likes going outside!

The rest either stand by the door sobbing and asking to go in or the older ones complain it's getting cold in the house :rolleyes:

Many moons ago I actually had a parent comment her son was complaining at home that I 'made' him go out ... and could I please stop because she's told him he doesn't have to go out any more if he doesn't want!! i am sure that happens a lot more than we realise.

So we are going for lots and lots of nature walks finding twigs to wrap in ribbon, bits of foliage to put in baskets for sorting, minibeasts to investigate etc.

:D

manjay
02-01-2011, 11:23 AM
I know my children wouldn't go outside to just play on my patio as it's not very interesting and not enough space. My grass is very very boggy but that is what they love. I have done loads of research recently on natural play so I don't have many "plastic" resources and imo playing outside is not just about taking indoor resources outside. My children dig, get dirty, make mud pies, create natural art, make dens. We have a veg patch and a green house that the children have free access too so we are growing all year round. We even have leeks and sprouts in at the moment.

I know my way is not for everyone and I admit I was a very different type of practitioner before I started studying for my degree. However I have done extensive research and this is what works for me:rolleyes: .

sweets
02-01-2011, 11:23 AM
I have so many fab ideas and I plan them for every day...

But at the moment I only have one child who actually likes going outside!

The rest either stand by the door sobbing and asking to go in or the older ones complain it's getting cold in the house :rolleyes:

Many moons ago I actually had a parent comment her son was complaining at home that I 'made' him go out ... and could I please stop because she's told him he doesn't have to go out any more if he doesn't want!! i am sure that happens a lot more than we realise.

So we are going for lots and lots of nature walks finding twigs to wrap in ribbon, bits of foliage to put in baskets for sorting, minibeasts to investigate etc.

:D

mine want to go outside, but when they get out there they are wanting to come in after 10 mins, they are all around 2 and its such a faff getting getting coats and shoes on just on for 10 mins thats why i thought i might make it a bit more interesting, it would be great if they could go out while i am preparing lunch, the kitchen is overlooking the patio and i would leave the kitchen door open so i could see and hear them at all times. They could also go out for the hour or so after sleep time and before parents come.

we do lots of planting in the spring and summer when the grass is accesable and things will grow but its more ideas for patio toys i was after.

flowerpots
02-01-2011, 11:28 AM
how about some art/creft supplies out there and easel, i sometimes put my easel out there with chalk, paint, white board markers, they do make a mess but i just hose it all down once they go home? :D

Twinkles
02-01-2011, 11:36 AM
Chalks are good. All my mindees love chalking and it quickly washes away in the rain.

mushpea
02-01-2011, 12:02 PM
I know my children wouldn't go outside to just play on my patio as it's not very interesting and not enough space. My grass is very very boggy but that is what they love. I have done loads of research recently on natural play so I don't have many "plastic" resources and imo playing outside is not just about taking indoor resources outside. My children dig, get dirty, make mud pies, create natural art, make dens. We have a veg patch and a green house that the children have free access too so we are growing all year round. We even have leeks and sprouts in at the moment.

I know my way is not for everyone and I admit I was a very different type of practitioner before I started studying for my degree. However I have done extensive research and this is what works for me:rolleyes: .

can i ask where you get ideas for natural play and resources please or any good links? I to think that natural stuff is best,,, we go for walks in the woods and collect some stuff and i have an allotment which they take part in looking after, growing and eating the stuff,, but I am stuck for ideas for the garden,,,

sarah707
02-01-2011, 12:07 PM
I had a cover put over my patio last year (photos on my www.knutsfordchildminding.co.uk website) and that helps a lot. :D

mushpea
02-01-2011, 12:51 PM
what materials do you all use for den building?? I have blankets but thats about it ,,, need some insperation!

onceinabluemoon
02-01-2011, 01:03 PM
How about some big (painters) paint brushes and a bucket of water? My mindees love the 'paint' the house and because it's just clean water (or you could add some bubbles) it doesn't mark or stain and if they get wet clothes they can go in the dryer for ten minutes.

They also like to dig in compost, it's a different texture to sand and they feel as if they are gardening. In the summer we bought some shells to hide in it for them to treasure hunt.

My grassy area if a bog in the winter too so they only have the patio and path to play on.

I know this is a daft question but do you go out with them? It sounds from your post as if you let them go out and watch them from indoors (but I might have misunderstood?), perhpas if you go out too and throw a softball or draw chalk roads on the patio to drive cars around it may encourage them to spend more time out there?

mushpea
02-01-2011, 01:25 PM
I am outside with mine most of the time but sometimes I am indoors,, depends on the day of the week as some days I have a baby who crawls not walks so gets bored being outside for too long,, if i am out there we feed the rabbits/guineapigs together and play ball or get the chalks out or i build sand castles with them etc

Playmate
02-01-2011, 01:51 PM
I will probably get slated for this, but sometimes I think there is to much pressure put on us for our children to 'play' outside during the really cold months. All children are different and that means some will love the outside and some hate it. I can remember crying as a child in the playground at nursery and school. I have always felt the cold and have not changed :blush: It doesn't matter how many layers I have on I'm still cold. I think providing we get out at some point during the day to do school runs or walks to the shops, library etc thats fine. Obviously if its a nice day we might take a detour through the park, but I'm not standing in the pouring rain for anyone :blush: From March through to October my garden is well used, but I'm afraid Nov - Feb, whilst my Central heating is on all day the doors stay shut and warmth stays in :D

sweets
02-01-2011, 02:15 PM
How about some big (painters) paint brushes and a bucket of water? My mindees love the 'paint' the house and because it's just clean water (or you could add some bubbles) it doesn't mark or stain and if they get wet clothes they can go in the dryer for ten minutes.

They also like to dig in compost, it's a different texture to sand and they feel as if they are gardening. In the summer we bought some shells to hide in it for them to treasure hunt.

My grassy area if a bog in the winter too so they only have the patio and path to play on.

I know this is a daft question but do you go out with them? It sounds from your post as if you let them go out and watch them from indoors (but I might have misunderstood?), perhpas if you go out too and throw a softball or draw chalk roads on the patio to drive cars around it may encourage them to spend more time out there?

i do go out with them sometimes ! lol would also like them to be able to play independantly too.

i agree with playmate that going out in all weathers is not much fun and sometimes we have complete days in, i dont agree with chucking them out or even letting them play out in pouring rain or when its -10 like we have had, shoot me down but i tell them no its too cold/wet as i dont want to stand in it either! lol

chalking is a brill idea, was always a bit worried that it would stain the patio but will def give it a go and see.

FussyElmo
02-01-2011, 02:17 PM
what materials do you all use for den building?? I have blankets but thats about it ,,, need some insperation!

The woman who ran the den building session i went to said anything can be turned into a den. Blankets, sheets, materials, twigs, pieces of wood, string, ribbon, cardboard, newspaper :thumbsup:

clio0602
02-01-2011, 03:00 PM
Here's some information / planning about outside play I wrote for the parents.

It's an attempt to get parents on side because many of them aren't convinced their children should be outside in all weathers.

I had a cover put over my patio last year (photos on my www.knutsfordchildminding.co.uk website) and that helps a lot.

CP means 'continuous provision' it's the stuff I have out all / most of the time.

I hope you find it inspiring :D

Sarah can I ask where you got the cover from? It looks brill and I have been looking at awnings and thay cost £250 min :eek:

Also I have bought your ebook on outdoor play and there are lots of ideas there Thanks once again :D

sweets
03-01-2011, 03:21 PM
well i have just spent about 2 hours scrubbing the patio with bleach and hot water, ive emptyied and cleaned out the mouldy sand pit ready for pasta/rice to go in. cleaned. brought the rocker put of the shed to play on, got the ride-ons out and put a tin of chalks on the window will ready for use ( i will blame you lot if they stain my flags :panic: ) lol.

ive also put a basket of welly boots by the back door ready for little feet.

THEY ARE GOING OUT! :clapping:

thanks for all the ideas everyone.:thumbsup:

miffy
03-01-2011, 03:27 PM
well i have just spent about 2 hours scrubbing the patio with bleach and hot water, ive emptyied and cleaned out the mouldy sand pit ready for pasta/rice to go in. cleaned. brought the rocker put of the shed to play on, got the ride-ons out and put a tin of chalks on the window will ready for use ( i will blame you lot if they stain my flags :panic: ) lol.

Good luck Sweets, hope they enjoy it!

One of my mindees favourite things is collecting things - I give them all an empty ice-cream tub and they go "treasure" hunting. It keeps them amused for ages and then they can make a collage with the things they've collected too, if they want.

Miffy xx

mamasheshe
03-01-2011, 03:38 PM
probebly already benn mentioned

chalks
bubbles

we have treasure hunts for mermaid/pirate treasure (glass beads shells)

we've built a ramp from back step which is great for racing little cars down but a slide would work just as well.

toy kitchen making mud pies (it's a very old battered little tikes one that lives in the Wendy house but comes out for baking

traffic light games on bikes scooters you shout red yellow green and they have to act appropriately

hiding something say a playmobile person and playing the hot cold game for them to hide it

splashing in puddles or shallow paddling pool

planting bulbs

threading ribbon string through trellis

making fairy gardens

i am very lucky in the fact mine complain when it's time to come in I'm also hoping to get funding for a lean to so we can spend more time outside

sarah707
03-01-2011, 03:48 PM
Sarah can I ask where you got the cover from? It looks brill and I have been looking at awnings and thay cost £250 min :eek:

Also I have bought your ebook on outdoor play and there are lots of ideas there Thanks once again :D

I can't recommend the guy who fitted mine because he was not nice I'm afraid :(

It's 3 x 3 metres square and cost about what you are looking at but it's really worth it.

it can be taken down, scrubbed and put back up again which is useful too :D

miffy
03-01-2011, 03:58 PM

I've got a much cheaper (not nearly so nice) alternative from Ikea - you have to put it up on hooks but it's good quality and keeps out the sun's rays - got it last year, hubby paid about £30 for it.

Miffy xx

The Juggler
03-01-2011, 06:28 PM

I also find outside the children love to dig and make mudpies. have a digging area maybe big magnifying glasses and bug pots, lots of old plant potts for filling and emptying. I find they use the sandpit and mud play more than the ride ons etc. Also paintbrushes for water painting outside and an easel and chalks for writing on the floor or boards.

The other think is make sure they are dressed up really warm so they don't chill too easily. We've not been out nearly so much this winter as it is just soooo cold for the under 2's. They maybe last 10 mins max but they are only little. If we go for a big walk somewhere they last much long as they are warmer movign around.

clio0602
03-01-2011, 06:48 PM
I've got a much cheaper (not nearly so nice) alternative from Ikea - you have to put it up on hooks but it's good quality and keeps out the sun's rays - got it last year, hubby paid about £30 for it.

Miffy xx

That sounds great but was looking more at keeping out the rain a little bit. Is it waterproof? My gardens v boggy so thought it may keep it a bit drier and the kids too lol.

I could also do with a patio but I'm renting so will have to ask permission first and don't want to spend too much. Daaaaaaaaaad :D

singingcactus
04-01-2011, 01:08 PM

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: My kids have always loved playing in the bog I call my back yard too lol. I don't really have too much trouble getting them outdoors, although I have had the odd parents complain 'oh you look cold little one!' to which I roll my eyes at the parents - so they see it, or tell them the kids are fine. I don't allow parents to put the kids off outdoor play - it's much too important for kids to have wild freeplay for parent to ruin it.

sweets
07-01-2011, 01:03 PM

well thay did go out this morning! they even asked to!
SO i togged them up all up as it was snowing, the 2 two years olds toddled outside while me and my other 2 year old mindee who is also 2 but disabled and feels the cold, sat and watched them through the patio door.

the best game that kept them occupied was us pulling faces on the glass to each other, yes its covered in snot and dribble now but they loved it and stayed out for 40 mins before they even asked to come in. :thumbsup:

MissTinkerbell
07-01-2011, 02:22 PM
I will probably get slated for this, but sometimes I think there is to much pressure put on us for our children to 'play' outside during the really cold months. All children are different and that means some will love the outside and some hate it. I can remember crying as a child in the playground at nursery and school. I have always felt the cold and have not changed :blush: It doesn't matter how many layers I have on I'm still cold. I think providing we get out at some point during the day to do school runs or walks to the shops, library etc thats fine. Obviously if its a nice day we might take a detour through the park, but I'm not standing in the pouring rain for anyone :blush: From March through to October my garden is well used, but I'm afraid Nov - Feb, whilst my Central heating is on all day the doors stay shut and warmth stays in :D

I kind of agree with this. I hate going outside in the cold so why should some children feel any different? If they ask to go outside then they may but most of the time they want to stay indoors. The LOs have plenty of fresh air with 3 school runs everyday and if the weather is sunny I will walk the long way home but other than that its indoors for us in the cold weather too.