PDA

View Full Version : Would you refund fees?

ma7ie
15-04-2008, 07:52 PM
My little mindee is contracted to come on a Monday and Thursday morning but for the last couple of months has been coming Tuesday and Friday mornings due to family illness but he is not contracted for those days.

I invoiced the family and received payment for this week on Monday.

Tonight I have received a text from Mum who is having Friday morning off work for whatever reason and is cancelling mindee for that day.

Although I'm not contracted for Friday I feel that I shouldn't have to refund her the money as we had already pre-arranged care for that day.

I don't know how to word what I want to say without sounding rude. My text is saying " Ok, no problem. Sorry but won't be able to refund you for Friday because you'd pre-arranged it. Hope you understand."

Do you think that sounds ok and do you think I'm being fair or would you refund?

sarah707
15-04-2008, 07:58 PM
Has she asked for a refund? If she hasn't then why mention it until it crops up?

I'd just say thanks for letting me know, look forward to seeing xxx on whenever she's next due or something equally banal and leave it at that. :D

miffy
15-04-2008, 07:59 PM
I agree with Sarah - mum may not even have thought about a refund

miffy xx

deeb66
15-04-2008, 08:08 PM
I wouldn't give a refund either....after all she did book the day.

Agree with the others I wouldn't mention it unless she does.

HTH

ma7ie
15-04-2008, 08:08 PM
Ok. Just hope she doesn't ask for it back when she's here as I hate confrontations and will probably back down.:(

Banana
15-04-2008, 08:09 PM
agree - dont metion it and see if she bring it up.

If she does, then explain. But until then just say 'thanks for letting me know'

x

deeb66
15-04-2008, 08:12 PM
Ok. Just hope she doesn't ask for it back when she's here as I hate confrontations and will probably back down.:(

Don't back down....she did book the day and has since changed her mind.....that is her fault not yours!

If she does quibble just say that if she had booked an activity (say music lesson etc) she would still have to pay or if at Nursery/Day care she would still have to pay!

ma7ie
15-04-2008, 08:23 PM
Don't back down....she did book the day and has since changed her mind.....that is her fault not yours!

If she does quibble just say that if she had booked an activity (say music lesson etc) she would still have to pay or if at Nursery/Day care she would still have to pay!

I know you're right and would give the same advice myself. Just not too good at taking it.:rolleyes:

deeb66
15-04-2008, 08:26 PM
I know you're right and would give the same advice myself. Just not too good at taking it.:rolleyes:

I know what you mean....

It's easy to say these things but can be a different matter when you have to actually do it.

Even after all these yeas I still feel uncomfortable when I have to discuss anything to do with money!

miffy
15-04-2008, 09:59 PM
I know what you mean....

It's easy to say these things but can be a different matter when you have to actually do it.

Even after all these yeas I still feel uncomfortable when I have to discuss anything to do with money!

Me too - and it's always easier to advise someone else than do it yourself

Try not to worry Marie it may never be mentioned

miffy xx

ma7ie
15-04-2008, 10:01 PM
Me too - and it's always easier to advise someone else than do it yourself

Try not to worry Marie it may never be mentioned

miffy xx

Thanks miffy. You're not trying to distract me from being sexy again are you?:D

miffy
16-04-2008, 06:16 AM
Thanks miffy. You're not trying to distract me from being sexy again are you?:D

Would I do that???????

miffy xx

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
16-04-2008, 08:14 AM
Hi

I agree with everyone else I would not mention anything unless the mum does to you.

Lorraine xx

Kelly
16-04-2008, 08:24 AM
When do you next invoice the mum?

I would not mention it initially either and on the invoice I would put £xx.xx for pre-booked hours.

I would not give a refund in these circumstances. If mum queries it I would say that I could not fill the space on that day because it had been pre-booked, therefore I have to charge.

Kelly

LittleMissSparkles
16-04-2008, 08:33 AM
I think you have been leanient allowing her to change days due to the circumstances of illness, technically you could have charged her still for the day she was suppost to use as she was contracted to pay for it really.I would not refund her either you cant be messedabout likethat,explain that you have tried to help her by changing the days due to the illness thing but your contracted hours reqire paying for as do any other times pre booked as you may have been able to give the hours to another child xxx

good luck xxx

Lottie
16-04-2008, 11:43 AM
I look at it this way...

It's short notice and you could have had another mindee in for that period instead. To refund her the fee's means that you have lost out on income. Childminding is a business after all.

Rubybubbles
16-04-2008, 12:33 PM
agree with everyone do not back down girl you listening to us all:laughing: :laughing:

ma7ie
16-04-2008, 12:51 PM
Thanks everyone.

I've just said thanks for letting me know and not mentioned anything about fees. Going to invoice her tomorrow for next week at the usual amount and I'll see what happens next week.:D

angeldelight
16-04-2008, 12:52 PM
Missed this

Good luck Marie

Hope it works out next week with payment

Angel xx

jmoff
16-04-2008, 01:05 PM
I aagree with what has been said.

Good luck

Jana x

ma7ie
17-04-2008, 12:53 PM
:update:
When the mum was leaving today she asked me where she stood regarding refund of fees for tomorrow as she no longer needed me. My heart sunk, then I broke out in a cold sweat, but I did it. You would have been so proud of me.

Through all my mumbling I managed to splutter out the fact that because she had verbally prebooked me and already paid for the day I wasn't refunding. She looked a bit put out but said ok.

PHEW!!!

crazybones
17-04-2008, 12:56 PM
When the mum was leaving today she asked me where she stood regarding refund of fees for tomorrow as she no longer needed me. My heart sunk, then I broke out in a cold sweat, but I did it. You would have been so proud of me.

Through all my mumbling I managed to splutter out the fact that because she had verbally prebooked me and already paid for the day I wasn't refunding. She looked a bit put out but said ok.

PHEW!!!

Well done. You are brave. I would have backed down. :o :clapping:

deeb66
17-04-2008, 01:22 PM
Well done Marie

I am really proud of you.

Good for you :clapping:

miffy
17-04-2008, 04:50 PM

PHEW!!!

Go girl :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

You're right I'm really proud of you

Well done

miffy xx

Chimps Childminding
17-04-2008, 04:56 PM
Well done for standing your ground - i would have mumbled/spluttered and then agreed to the refund (although I know I shouldn't - I hate anything like that)! :blush:

Pipsqueak
17-04-2008, 05:00 PM

PHEW!!!

:clapping: :clapping: Well done - its not easy standing up to people but you have done it and the next time (if there is a next time) it will be easier:thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
17-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Well done for standing your ground - i would have mumbled/spluttered and then agreed to the refund (although I know I shouldn't - I hate anything like that)! :blush:

With us all behind you (in cyber space) you would be able to do:D

angeldelight
17-04-2008, 05:01 PM
Well done Marie I am proud of you

Angel xx

fionamal
17-04-2008, 05:23 PM
Good for you:clapping:

Will be easier the next time

Lottie
18-04-2008, 09:54 AM
Well done girly!! :thumbsup:

casey's mum
18-04-2008, 10:28 AM
Lots of good advice...i agree totally. If pre arranged and paid for the day then I would not give refund either!
Defo easier to give advice then to actually action it though!

Good Luck

Angela xx