PDA

View Full Version : Vat rise

emmadines
01-01-2011, 10:07 AM
Gd morning everyone, happy new year

I was just wondering, is anyone upping their prices due to the vat rise??. Just all the equipment, toys and food if you do any is all going up, should we qccomadTe this rise in our fees??

Emma

Pipsqueak
01-01-2011, 10:16 AM
nah - I am already high end price bracket lol:D

emmadines
01-01-2011, 10:19 AM
Could I ask u what's ur hourly rate

Pipsqueak
01-01-2011, 10:37 AM
i am £4 ph for an under 5 or £4.50 for an over

although i have just started to use before and after school session rates of

7.30-9am - £7
3-6pm - £12

Several other minders round town have started to up their prices to this level now - although there are still a couple of charge £2.50ph - gulp.

Lady Haha
01-01-2011, 11:02 AM
I plan to up my prices in Sept as the parents have come to expect it now! So much so that they were all really pleasantly surprised that I didn't last year! I think I will see how much the VAT rise and other things will affect my weekly outgoings and work on a rise to reflect that.

flowerpots
01-01-2011, 11:11 AM
im going to be upping my prices but didnt really think about the vat increase, its a nice excuse to use though. :D

emmadines
01-01-2011, 11:14 AM
I've been minding for almost 3 years and I've never put my prices up. I'm not sure how to go about it other then give the parents 4 weeks notice of the increase.

Beetlejuice
01-01-2011, 12:04 PM
I've been minding for almost 3 years and I've never put my prices up. I'm not sure how to go about it other then give the parents 4 weeks notice of the increase.

I put my prices up in April 2010 for the first time since I started minding in Sept 07. I went from £4.25 to £4.40 an hour and I just gave everyone notice in my newsletter at the beginning of the year to let them know it would happen. I'm not upping my prices for now but will review later this year if I am finding things too expensive. I have to be wary though as I am relatively expensive in this area - though it ranges from £4-5 an hour round here. The people charging £5 are Outstanding minders though.

emmadines
01-01-2011, 01:20 PM
I put my prices up in April 2010 for the first time since I started minding in Sept 07. I went from £4.25 to £4.40 an hour and I just gave everyone notice in my newsletter at the beginning of the year to let them know it would happen. I'm not upping my prices for now but will review later this year if I am finding things too expensive. I have to be wary though as I am relatively expensive in this area - though it ranges from £4-5 an hour round here. The people charging £5 are Outstanding minders though.

I know Im not classed as "outstanding" I do feel, I would have got better if the change to EYFs and their new way of doing things had not come out just before the my original inspection happened, as the intro sessions I attended was fully based on the early years (i think that was what it was called , been some time since it was referred to its original title.) I am due to have my inspection soon, paper works almost uptodate, I have to start on my obs now my 2 reception children are truly settled...... fingers crossed I will get better....

Hebs
01-01-2011, 01:27 PM
No not as yet as like pip i'm at the higher end of the price range

loocyloo
01-01-2011, 01:43 PM
i only upped mine in september !

plus, in that i'm moving soon (well, when house is sold!) and am going to have to drop my prices :eek: , it would be even more noticeable to me!

xxx

singingcactus
01-01-2011, 01:49 PM
I'm not, but then again I don't provide food or consumables. The increase is quite minimal really and shouldn't add too much to the cost of toys, and I already have all the equipment I intend to provide. My rate is a little lower than average for round here, but as I say, I do not provide food, nappies or wipes etc anymore so other than art supplies the money I make is actually mine :)

suzyblue
02-01-2011, 07:29 AM
Ive put mine up by 20p per hour. My food sopping bill is horrendous!

rickysmiths
02-01-2011, 10:26 PM
Food isn't subject to VAT is it?

Chatterbox Childcare
02-01-2011, 10:31 PM
No VAT on food so the only thing it majorly affects for me is petrol

Playmate
02-01-2011, 10:39 PM
We have put our prices up, but mainly because of food prices and petrol :D

butterfly
02-01-2011, 10:43 PM
I put up mine in September so can't do it again! I will in September again though probably

The Juggler
03-01-2011, 09:10 AM

I was just wondering, is anyone upping their prices due to the vat rise??. Just all the equipment, toys and food if you do any is all going up, should we qccomadTe this rise in our fees??

Emma

no hon, I'm already concerned parents might drop days to accommodate the increase in their general outgoings without adding to that risk:( Like Pip I feel my prices are top end at £4.50 though newer childminders here are charging up to £5.50/hour

Mouse
03-01-2011, 09:35 AM

Emma

Did you drop your prices when VAT went down? If not, I don't think you can use that as justification for increasing them now.

If you want to increase fees, decide how much you are going to charge and give parents 4 weeks notice of the change, saying that you haven't increased your fees for x number of years and feel it is time to do so.

I'm not increasing my fees at the moment, but have cut right down on toys & equipment that I'm buying. I'm also looking at my food shopping and seeing where I can make savings there. I don't provide meals, but do provide snacks and I'm looking for cheaper alternatives.

emmadines
05-01-2011, 07:54 AM

but wont fuel prices bring up the food cost??

Hebs
05-01-2011, 07:57 AM
to be fair the VAT rise isnt THAT much, or is it just me that thinks that??
:blush:

Louise0208
05-01-2011, 08:03 AM
the average working family will be £600 worse off a year due to retailers adding the extra & then adding extra that delivery companies & manufactures will be adding.

i wont be upping my fees....i have enough problems getting my parents to pay up as it is! :angry:

Bridey
05-01-2011, 08:16 AM
No, I will just be tightening my belt the same as they will be having to - this rise affects everyone so why would I penalise my parents further?

The way I see it is that we have the advantage of increased expenses = less income tax to pay! :clapping:

Minstrel
05-01-2011, 08:26 AM

Some food is. Only 'essential' food isn't, like fruit, veg, etc but if you buy treat stuff then you do pay VAT.

Have a look round a Costco or similar and you'll see because they give you a break down (for companies who claim their VAT back I guess).

mufftie
05-01-2011, 09:39 AM

i put my prices up once im full then the next person to come along pays the higher rate and they dont realise that its an increase as its stated on my advert , if you do it when your full then it dosnt matter if you frighten people off with the higher fees and generally on the website if one minder puts fees up then the others slowly follow