PDA

View Full Version : Non payment of fees

venus89
30-12-2010, 02:26 PM
I look after a child who comes to me through social services. They are meant to pay monthly in arrears. I've had her since September. They haven't paid me a penny so far so I think it's time to start moaning a bit at them as I won't be able to pay my tax bill without the money. The social worker is seeing LOs mum this afternoon so I'm going to hand over my December invoice to her - it's getting on for two grand now! I've said to her I'll have to consult NCMA about recovering my money to get their advice because I would rather like it.

Do any of you have and handy hints, as I can't get hold of the NCMA until next week. And no, I'm not going to withdraw care for the child as it is totally not in her, or Mum's, best interests....

Pipsqueak
30-12-2010, 02:30 PM
i think you need to lay it out on the line

tell them you have been more than patient - and you insist on payment be xxx date otherwise you will have no choice but to suspend care until outstanding monies (stress this bit )are bought up to date.

I would also point out that they are being extremly unfair and would they wait for their wages.

find out who the head honcho is and talk to them
back it up in writing
and be prepared to take it further such as speaking to local MP....

Hebs
30-12-2010, 02:34 PM
be prepared to take it further such as speaking to local MP....

and email downing street, they are wanting to be made aware if these issues :thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
30-12-2010, 02:37 PM
just thought - who has signed the contract?

if its the parent then technically you should be chasing them.
if you have something saying SS are responsible for payment (as I do for a parent who has her fees paid for by college) then hit them hard :)

explain very slowly and firmly you are not a charity and that social services are taking the Pee and are letting this family down badly and you wil not hesitate to let the newspapers know this as well.

rickysmiths
30-12-2010, 03:53 PM
just thought - who has signed the contract?

if its the parent then technically you should be chasing them.
if you have something saying SS are responsible for payment (as I do for a parent who has her fees paid for by college) then hit them hard :)

explain very slowly and firmly you are not a charity and that social services are taking the Pee and are letting this family down badly and you wil not hesitate to let the newspapers know this as well.

Don't forget to add late fees as well. I am about to do an invoice for Care to Learn I was paid in the middle of Dec for Sept/Oct/Nov and Dec. I told them they would get a bill and for the Bank Charges as well.

I know it is hard when it affects children but SS are not allowed to use Blackmail and this is effectively what they are doing isn't it?

venus89
30-12-2010, 06:22 PM
I can't withdraw care of the child - she's only just come back to Mum after being in foster care for a year. Mum is on her last chance now. So if I rock the boat it could damage their relationship and I will not be responsible for that.

SS are responsible for paying the fees - the contract is between them, myself and the Mum but Mum has nothing to do with the money side of things.

I suggested in my letter to the social worker that I get onto the accounts department - she has been trying - and give them an earful myself. But yes, the idea of going higher is appealing because I do need the money to pay the taxman.

Unfortunately I didn't add late fees into the contract - I should have, I'd be raking it in by now!

curlycathy
30-12-2010, 07:59 PM
Why don't you send letters to social worker, his/her line manager, head of children's services, head of accounts and anyone else you can think of stating that if you don't get your money by (choose a date) you will have no choice but to instigate court proceedings.

I would also be writing to the MP, Downing Street - actually enclose a copy of the letter you are sending to the local authority and let the local authority people know what you are doing - and also threaten to write to the local paper.

Then stick to your guns and do it! Would love to see their faces when issued with a court summons (which should go to head of Childrens Services as they have ultimate responsibility).

Bet you get your money sorted!!

Oh - and then call a contract review and put in late fees xxx

venus89
03-01-2011, 02:50 PM
Still haven't been paid :(

SS have complained to the people who issue the money (in theory!) as they say it's unaceptable and have given me a number to complain. Apparentlt the problem lies in me submitting the wrong type of invoive but I was never told there was a right type. Also I have my address and phone number on my invoices so they should have told me.....

Anyway, I need this money now to pay my tax bill at the end of the month - if they don't pay me I can only pay a percentage of my tax. Then I'll get charged. I plan, when I complain, to make clear that if this is the case I'll be passing the charge onto them (and SS) and email them saying the same thing. Can I do this?

miffy
03-01-2011, 03:01 PM
Apparentlt the problem lies in me submitting the wrong type of invoive

What rubbish! I would get on the phone to them tomorrow and not come off until you get your money sorted.

You might not have late payment fees written into the contract but I think you can now say that if you incur any expenses/charges due to their late payment (like your tax) then you will be claiming those charges back from the ss.

I hope you do get it sorted tomorrow - you need to threaten them with anything/anyone that will make them sit up and take notice!!!!!!!

Good luck
Miffy xx

venus89
03-01-2011, 03:04 PM
What rubbish! I would get on the phone to them tomorrow and not come off until you get your money sorted.

You might not have late payment fees written into the contract but I think you can now say that if you incur any expenses/charges due to their late payment (like your tax) then you will be claiming those charges back from the ss.

I hope you do get it sorted tomorrow - you need to threaten them with anything/anyone that will make them sit up and take notice!!!!!!!

Good luck
Miffy xx

"I apologise again for the lateness in your payments. I have chased this up with admin and the invoices were sent on 12th November and 18th November, but were returned due to the format they were in. Your invoice was again sent to accounts on 23rd December. I am not sure when this will be paid to you, but if you call Kent County Council on xx and ask for Exchequer services they should be able to inform you. Can I advise you also make a complaint to them about this matter, as we have complained as this service clearly has been unacceptable."

Oh yes, I shall be complaining a lot!

karensmart4
03-01-2011, 03:15 PM
I worked with SS for 14 years and it took an awful long time to get money sorted.

I ended up going to their offices with the child (I'm not suggesting you do this as I was fostering), the child had ADHD, Dyspraxia and a few underlying things wrong with them. I told reception that I needed paying and I needed someone to see me that was able to autherise the payment, I was told to make an appointment, but I refused then I let go of the lil ones hand and let them have free range of the ground floor :laughing:

Someone came and I got most of my money :thumbsup:

What I would do in your situation is explain everything clearly and precisly, cc it to SW, Line Manager, Accounts and Main Manager.

Give them a date and tell them that you will be passing any addition charges that you incur, onto them.

Keep us informed about how you get on, it's not fair on the individual when things like this happen :(

mufftie
03-01-2011, 05:00 PM
i did some respite care for social services for 3 yrs, and they were always several months behind in paying you would think they would be the first tbh good luck

venus89
03-01-2011, 05:03 PM
Thank you

I was expecting them to be a bit late - I had this little girl a few years ago before the fostering so I've dealt with them before (when my invoices were acceptable :laughing: ) and they always took a few weeks to pay, which is fine, but I've been on at them to hurry this payment up, wanted it through before Christmas, and tbh as it's an error with their processinmg and communication and not with me then I don't see why I should have to wait any longer. So now I shall stamp my feet :laughing: :laughing:

Goatgirl
03-01-2011, 05:11 PM
This is appalling: I really hope you get them to sort it out soonest. Give them hell :thumbsup: