PDA

View Full Version : why is this baby crying soo much? help please

newandlearning
29-12-2010, 03:41 PM
hi everyone...

on of the 15 month olds I mind hasn't settled very well and on top of that hasn't always been well so has had time off.. she's only here 1.5 days a week.

last week for 2 days everytime I walked out the room she started screaming.. and today has been the exact same.. its really stressful as I've got 3 other mindees here ...

why is this 15 month crying soo much.. now she's quite as I'm sitting right by her.. I know she's an only child .. but I really could do with some help on how to manage her 'almost' demands and play games with the others.. its proving a challenge! :panic: :)

sarah707
29-12-2010, 03:53 PM
Oh that sounds like hard work :(

I had a screamer who was just the same until one day he suddenly stopped and turned into a little love!

It depends on your threshold for the noise and how the other children are coping with the disruption.

I would chat to mum, see if she can leave something that smells of her, sometimes that soothes little ones.

Hugs x

miss mopple
29-12-2010, 04:09 PM
Its so hard. I had one that screamed for 11hrs a day for 4 months :eek: I persevered and he is now a very happy little soul, so hang in there if you can. Good ideas from Sarah. I would also suggest things like 'peek a boo' games so she learns that something that disappears comes back, and maybe a sturdy album of photos from home she can look at.

Good luck!

onceinabluemoon
29-12-2010, 04:43 PM
hi everyone...

on of the 15 month olds I mind hasn't settled very well and on top of that hasn't always been well so has had time off.. she's only here 1.5 days a week.

last week for 2 days everytime I walked out the room she started screaming.. and today has been the exact same.. its really stressful as I've got 3 other mindees here ...

why is this 15 month crying soo much.. now she's quite as I'm sitting right by her.. I know she's an only child .. but I really could do with some help on how to manage her 'almost' demands and play games with the others.. its proving a challenge! :panic: :)

Sounds as if she's undergoing some sort of separation anxiety. Could you perhaps take her with you when you have to go out of the room for a while? Perhaps you could sit her on your lap and play games with the older ones until she gets over this phase?

mufftie
29-12-2010, 07:22 PM
all i can say is good luck , i had this once with an 8 month old , he screamed and screamed , unfortunately or fortunately maybe i only had him 1 week as his dad lost his job

try and stick with it as they may just snap out of it sooner hopefully rather than later

catswhiskers
30-12-2010, 12:04 AM
Is she up and walking at 15 months? If not, this could be part of the problem.

Frustrated that she can't join in with the others? But that aside, it could still be separation anxiety and I would ask Mum if she's like this at home.

Also, 1.5 days sometimes takes longer for settling in. I've had some that have been hard work for months and i was tempted to give notice but they then didn't want to go home!

I still feel guilty about the one I had to give notice to but the whole day was such hard work and this lasted for nearly 8 months!

fiona
30-12-2010, 01:21 PM
snap, i have a 15month old little boy who needs contact 24/7 he is carried alot at home as he has a bad temper and they dont like to see him cry!!!!!!!! I cant do that as i had major surgery on my shoulder and he is a big boy, and its not fair on the others here!!! as soon as mum walks in he clings and screams then i take him to find the dog (who is put in the garden as soon as the car arrives) as soon as he cant see mum he is fine! then his attention turns to me, if i put him in the high chair for lunch and then walk away to fetch his plate he screams!!!

It was hard to start with, but i am getting there! he is starting to play and wander off i just sit on the floor and he can come back to me then i move around and he is fine, i know its hard and you feel you are missing something, but remember the parent picked you so they want the best for there child, and she will come around eventually!!!

good luck

curlycathy
30-12-2010, 08:13 PM
Hey Fiona you could be talking about one of mine - he's just the same!!

I was really firm with my lo as he got older (he's 2 now) and told him firmly that we don't do that here and just carried on. It is really really really hard and tiring - but I promise it does get better. Now my lo is such a loving and caring boy - although its interesting that he's more affectionate with me than with his mother who indulges his every whim and can't handle his tantrums :rolleyes:

Playing peek a boo games is a really good idea - I did this for months with him. I also have a pop up tent that I put up - it took him weeks to pluck up the courage to actually go in it but it was really interesting watching him work out that the others (and me!) were going in it - but we were still there!!!! Also if you can get a favourite toy or something from home that can help.

Do you have anyone - another cm perhaps - who can come over and support you sometimes too? I shared my lo with another cm and it did make it easier.

Good luck xxx

jane5
30-12-2010, 08:57 PM
I mind my nephew who I have always seen (mostly with his mum) 3/4 times a week.

I was really surprised when his mum went back to work that he went really clingy and cried every time I put him down because he had always been a really calm laid back baby.

He was obviously missing mum and he settled after a few days but it goes to show how distressing the change can be for them as I really didnt expect it from him.

I hope things improve soon:(