PDA

View Full Version : late payments,, how to word policy help please

mushpea
29-12-2010, 02:33 PM
I dont ususaly have a problem with parents paying but have done the last couple of months so want to introduce a late payment fee,, having never done this I dont know how to word the policy,, I was thinking of saying

'if payment is not met on the contracted day then a late payment fee of £2 a day will be charged each day the payment is late'

I also want to add somthing about if they arrange a late payment date or come up with a proper reason for not paying me on the day I can be flexible but I dont know how to word this bit as I dont want to seem to flexible with it cause there would be no point in doing the late fee IFYSWIM
any ideas on how to word this please?

Chatterbox Childcare
29-12-2010, 02:50 PM
Note that just because you write a policy doesn't mean that it is legally binding unless they agree to it and that usually means in the contract

Why not sit down and talk to the parents and explain that you need your money on time and see how you go.

mushpea
29-12-2010, 02:55 PM
because talking to them dosent work,, they just shrug it off so am brining in a policey which they will sign to say they have recived, its more of 'scare' tactic than anything else,, hopefully to give them the kick up the bum they need to make them realise i mean what I say and that I need money too, it even got to one point when i told the parent that if they didnt pay me then I couldnt put gas on the meter to heat the house for their child,, they just smiled and oh then went out to work then came back with shopping yet still no money for me!!

Mrs Pootle
29-12-2010, 03:19 PM
'if payment is not met on the contracted day then a late payment fee of £2 a day will be charged each day the payment is late'

I think this wording is fine :) . I wouldn't put in anything about being flexible and accepting late payment in some situations, as I think it can give parents the assumption that you are not really serious about the late payment charge. Obviously if one of them comes to you with a payment problem then you could look at not charging the late fee, but it would be between you and that parent, and not as standard practice so that everyone can abuse your good nature.

sarah707
29-12-2010, 03:46 PM
If there is a problem with payment please talk to me as quickly as possible.

A late payment fee of ...

You do not need to say you are prepared to be flexible... but if they come and talk to you about it then you still might be :D

Blackcat
29-12-2010, 05:31 PM
ive put after 7 days (after payment is due) I will ceese to mind the child until fees are brought up to date and a bit of information that this is my lively hood etc

mushpea
29-12-2010, 07:52 PM
I am definatly bringng this in to force as a parent was supposed to pay me today and hasnt,, its my birthday and I was counting on that money to enjoy my day with,, was gonna take kids to the pictures,,, it really annoys me cause I told her when payment was due and put it on the invoice and even told her it was my birthday,, her payment day should have been monday but i was being leinant as it was bank holiday,,,If she had to trudge miles I'd understand but its within walking distance!! Am tempted to txt but cant think how to put it nicley

mayberry
30-12-2010, 05:31 AM
I get paid by my parents paying weekly or monthly detect into my bank or cash in advance. If they don’t pay the cash up front I don’t have the child this is made clear before they start, 10 children on books, 2 pay cash it works for me. Good luck :)

Dawn x

Pipsqueak
30-12-2010, 09:10 AM
i agree - don't say you are willing to be flexible - you will get all sorts of excuses week after week after week!
Agree with Sarahs wording and Debbies advice.
Prepare the Policy -(I would propbably add in for good measure that you will also consider suspending childcare when fees are unpaid) - attempt to talk to them one last time - explain that this is now the umpteenth time you have talked to them and they appear to be ignoring your terms and conditions.
if you are going to enforce this - review the contract and write it in - not just on the policy. Tell the parents at the last ditch conversation that this is what is going to happen.

Consider though- what if they refuse to accept these new conditions. ARe you prepared to terminate? Leave things as they are?