PDA

View Full Version : accept a sick child or not?

mushpea
29-12-2010, 02:30 PM
ok,,i have had mindee x who is 4 in january for almost 3yrs,,,, x often makes himself sick when he feels like it, could be cause 'he dosent want mum to leave him or cause he dosent want to do somthing or eat his lunch,,,, over the last 6 months the incidents have been less and less,,, just before christmas he was sick , gran said it was cause she'd given him a sip of benacol drink and it disagreed with him,, then on the wed befor christmas she told me he'd been sick again because of benacol that he got hold off,, now each time i took him and have never refused him when he has made himself sick and to begin with he would do this so mum would come and get him,,,, BUT on christmas eve my children were ill,,, the only place they could have got it was at home as they hadnt been out and he was the only child to have been sick,, so am i within my rights from now on to say if he has been sick that morning for whatever reason that I will not accept him for 48hrs,,, I dont want to risk my kids getting ill again because they say he made himself sick,, trouble is now I wont know wether to belive them or not,, would you accept him or turn him away if hes sick that morning?

kindredspirits
29-12-2010, 02:34 PM
tricky one - you are within your rights to refuse if he has been sick - but i think its likely that the parents will just tell him not to tell you. :rolleyes:

charlie potato
29-12-2010, 02:37 PM
Its an awkward one because the family may have thought it was because he'd had something he shouldnt have. Sounds like a tummy bug because its up to 48 hrs incubation period normally. I know of kids in our village that have had the tummy bugs going around but only been sick once. My partner only had cramps and diarrhoea. Instinct tells me that you need to at least show them your policy and say that its the department of health instructions not yours. xx

Chatterbox Childcare
29-12-2010, 02:49 PM
I think you need to sit down with the parents and explain your dilemma otherwise this will fester on both sides and you will lose the child eventually

mushpea
29-12-2010, 02:59 PM
to be honest the child has gone down to 2 days a week and in the school hols only so if i lost him its not a major thing and would free up another space so not too worried if i did loose him,,, I always took him when he made himself sick as I have seen him do it but this time did seem different and on reflection I shouldnt have taken him,,, I have just re written my sickness policy and will be given this out when they come back next week along with a late payment fee policy to all parents and getting all parents to sign a copy to say they have reicved them.
I want to refuse him when he's sick before he comes as I dont know wehter its because he's ill or because he's done it on purpose anymore but the trouble is I have always accepted him which is where it becomes complicated.

Chatterbox Childcare
29-12-2010, 03:00 PM
I would consider giving notice...

mushpea
29-12-2010, 03:09 PM
I would consider giving notice...

I have but , and this is probably wrong, she is paying me in full each week for the hours he will attend in the holidays to hold the space as hes not yet a school , it would also only leave 1 day a week free and not the two spaces she pays for becuase the 2nd day I have a variation for and if he goes so does the variation,,, shes happy to pay infact it was her suggestion so I dont really want to let him go,, plus its only till he goes to school in september so only really 10 more weeks I will actutualy have him.

Beetlejuice
29-12-2010, 04:37 PM
I've got more and more strict about this in the last year after I was told once a child was travel sick and let the child attend - only for the mindees family AND my family to go down with a vile sickness bug which meant I couldn't work :angry: I would say that I wouldn't have the child if they'd been sick for whatever reason. Harsh I'm sure but the only way to stop illness coming from that child.

Have they sought help for the child wrt the making himself sick???? That would worry me a lot.

lisal5632
29-12-2010, 05:14 PM
My nephew does thisat school, home, anywhere! when he did it at school- school sent him home and told them it was 48 hrs before he was aloud back in! Now mum had already spoken to them about him doing this (as he's done it all his life and for attention) and it was due to him not wanting his school photo taken :rolleyes:

I would definately speak to the parent and tell them your worries, but you might find they just don't tell you! :angry:

Good Luck and hopefully they will understand :)

mufftie
29-12-2010, 07:14 PM
i tbh would stand my ground and refuse to have him if your not desperate for the contract anyway ,
i myself had this before christmas where an older child (13) was dumped on me with his younger sisters as he was too ill to go to school , usually if this child is ill he goes to grans as i wont have him round the babies , but as i was told it was just a heavy cold and i wasnt given much choice as he just turned up i accepted him , only for 2 of my own children to be very ill with a fever over christams ,so never again i shall personnally drive him to his nans should his mother do that again to me :angry:

mayberry
30-12-2010, 05:00 AM
If a childs to ill to go to school there to ill to go to a childminder ;)

Dawn x

Pipsqueak
30-12-2010, 09:14 AM
I think you need to sit down with the parents and explain your dilemma otherwise this will fester on both sides and you will lose the child eventually

agree with this - the parents need to understand that you need to protect you and yours and also the other children.

i also agree with considering giving notice.