PDA

View Full Version : Should I change from Term Time only?

MrsShell
29-12-2010, 09:47 AM
Hi everyone. Hope you all had a great Christmas!

As the thread suggests I just wanted your views on whether I should change from Term Time only.

I have been registered since June and wanted to work TT because I came from a pre-school environment and enjoyed having the holidays off with my own children and grandchildren (who wouldn't!). Fortunately, I managed to get a little one who was TT but she is going to pre-school in January so I will only have her for 1 day a week.

However, since then most of the enquiries I have had want more than TT and I haven't managed to get any more mindees.

I've noticed from previous threads that generally childminders will take about 4 weeks holiday (if that!) but I was thinking that perhaps I could advertise that I will be minding all year but advise parents that I will be taking up to 8 weeks holiday a year (5 weeks less than TT only).

Do you think that will still put parents off?

Your views would be greatly appreciated as I want to start another advertising campaign in the New Year!!

Michelle x

The Juggler
29-12-2010, 10:06 AM
i chose to go t-time only and have the majority of the children who are. however, I also took on 3 other children (2 families) who need all year round but they are part time. so, it ends up I have less childrne in the hols but I only work 2 or 3 days a week. This works well for me - I have time with my kids on my own and other days they have other children.

just take each enquiry on how it suits you. I would say if you are used to t-time only keep a few days just for your own kids.:D

Polly2
29-12-2010, 10:33 AM
Could you not specify that you work TT only and then take each enquiry on its own merit and decide whether you want to do it or not? Or do you think thats misleading for parents?

For example you may have a lo who only wanted 2 days a week but all year round - you may feel you could do that?

Just an idea

manjay
29-12-2010, 10:47 AM
Could you not specify that you work TT only and then take each enquiry on its own merit and decide whether you want to do it or not? Or do you think thats misleading for parents?

For example you may have a lo who only wanted 2 days a week but all year round - you may feel you could do that?

Just an idea

I thought this but then I wonder if the other parents who have maybe struggled to find alternative care for school hols would be a bit miffed! It's a possibility.

I advertise as having 6 weeks holiday a year and it hasn't put anyone off. Why not give it a try that you will be taking 8 weeks hols. It may put some parents off but others it may suit as they have family who can cover holidays

Good luck xx

The Juggler
29-12-2010, 11:21 AM
I thought this but then I wonder if the other parents who have maybe struggled to find alternative care for school hols would be a bit miffed! It's a possibility.

I advertise as having 6 weeks holiday a year and it hasn't put anyone off. Why not give it a try that you will be taking 8 weeks hols. It may put some parents off but others it may suit as they have family who can cover holidays

Good luck xx

think me and Polly 2 posted at same time. What I would do Mrs Shell is tell parents you are prepared to work x no. days per week in the hols. First set of parents get to pick days. Follow up parents you tell them you work x number days/week and tell them the days that you work. They can then take them or not. All my children who come in the hols come the same days that way I guarantee time off with my two.:)

manjay
29-12-2010, 12:22 PM
think me and Polly 2 posted at same time. What I would do Mrs Shell is tell parents you are prepared to work x no. days per week in the hols. First set of parents get to pick days. Follow up parents you tell them you work x number days/week and tell them the days that you work. They can then take them or not. All my children who come in the hols come the same days that way I guarantee time off with my two.:)

Good idea:thumbsup:

yummymummy
29-12-2010, 12:23 PM
I work three days a week all year, have never had a problem finding children for this and get 2 days off every week including school holidays.

caz3007
29-12-2010, 12:24 PM
Most of my afterschoolies are sort of term time only but with ad hoc occasional days in the holidays. All the holidays are flexible and I usually can state the days I want to work with each family as they have other friends and family that help out. Its worked for me for nearly 5 years to do it that way, sometimes I dont work at all in the holidays, but it suits me

clio0602
29-12-2010, 12:53 PM
I would love to work term time only but never managed to get any tt only children. I do, however only work wed-fri in the school hols so get 2 days with my children and also state that I take 4-5 wks hols plus bank holidays.

I found this to be a compromise and you could maybe just see what each family requires and how it would fit in with you. x

Mrs Pootle
29-12-2010, 01:05 PM
I only work term time due to having school age children of my own. I'm new to childminding and so still looking for different ways of working/what fits with my family etc.
I've been lucky enough to get mindees with parents who work in school and so only need term time care. I am however now looking at the possibility of taking on a part-timer all year round, as I think my children would enjpy having a few days each week in the hols with someone else to play with.
Good luck with whatever you decide. :)

Chatterbox Childcare
29-12-2010, 02:54 PM
I think it is hard if you want to the time off and would you resent it if you had to work

I personally find that I make my money in the holidays.

I believe that you need to do a plan and see what it is you want from childminding and stick to it.

MrsShell
29-12-2010, 07:49 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. You have all given me ideas I hadn't even considered.

I will now consider which option will be best for me and my family and get on with my advertising!

Thanks again. :thumbsup:

Michelle x