PDA

View Full Version : Paracetamol?

pirateship
15-04-2008, 03:49 PM
8 year old mindee's Dad sent him over with Paracetamol today telling him to have half if his headache doesn't get any better. I gave him a half about 3pm and was just wondering if I need to record this? Probably a stupid question - we have to record everything!- but I had a thought that we're not allowed to give paracetamol at all so maybe best not to record it? Obviously I'll tell Dad but not sure whether to leave it off medication forms? Got my inspection this week so I don't want her picking me up on this. Any help much appreciated.

Mollymop
15-04-2008, 03:55 PM
Sorry, i am not a full blown childminder yet, but i do know it is best to record everything to keep yourself covered, especially when it concerns medication.

ma7ie
15-04-2008, 03:57 PM
You can give medication providing you have written parental permission. It should be logged in your medication folder stating last time it was given at home, time and amount given by you and signed by the parents.

Blaze
15-04-2008, 04:00 PM
As above!
Blaze:)

Alibali
15-04-2008, 04:00 PM
Ensure you have written consent from parents regarding giving paracetamol, then record it and get parents to sign that too. Best to keep yourself covered at all times. We are allowed to administer medication only with parental written consent.

Ali :)

jaja
15-04-2008, 05:16 PM
Hi

I have given paracetamol before to a girl who was 9, as long as fill in your accident, incident and medication book there wont be a problem, get the parents to fill in the parts and if you want to feel 100% better get them to also write you letter confirming the details. I didnt have a problem in my last inspection for giving it. Dont worry!:littleangel:

jen:littleangel:

sarah707
15-04-2008, 05:35 PM
For future reference, if parent brings medicine, tell them you need them to wait while you fill in a permission form. Do it quickly and get them to sign... then after you've given the meds, they sign again.

I wouldn't worry though... best not mentioned at your inspection!

Good luck! :D

crazybones
15-04-2008, 06:46 PM
For future reference, if parent brings medicine, tell them you need them to wait while you fill in a permission form. Do it quickly and get them to sign... then after you've given the meds, they sign again.

I wouldn't worry though... best not mentioned at your inspection!

Good luck! :D

I agree with Sarah. Best of Luck. :D

buildingblocks
16-04-2008, 04:22 PM
In my opinion if you give it you record it.

If you feel you shouldn't have given it then you possibly shouldn't have - does this make sense.

The reason you record it is too cover yourself in case the parent decides to sue you or say you gave them too much. hope that makes sense

If you are unsure about whether you should have given it get paretn to sign an extra permission slip

cloud9
16-04-2008, 04:37 PM
i recently went on the EYFS course and we had a big discussion on how we are now no longer allowed to give calpol! Only PRESCRIBED medication can be administered to a child now! no over the counter medicines and anything that is given has to be logged in the medication book. I wont let any parent leave if medication is needing to be given until they have filled out this form. Personally i don't want to be sued if the child has a reaction you may think the parent would not do this but if something happens to their child i doubt they will then agree that you said they could fill in the paperwork on collection.