PDA

View Full Version : Where to nap...

ninagee
23-12-2010, 02:15 PM
I have a mindee J, 23 months who is the height of a 3 year old, who started in September. My problem is where else to put him for his nap. At the moment he sleeps very easily in the pushchair but he is now too long to lie flat. He is all squashed up as he tucks his legs in. At his home he slept in the pushchair and now on the sofa.

My sofa (3 seater) is used by mindee H (30 months) for his nap since January. He drinks his milk then falls asleep very easily with no sign of dropping his nap. Both boys can’t fit on the sofa as mindee J kicks mindee H as they settle. I don’t have another sofa/armchair as there is not enough room in the living room. I can’t register upstairs as the pre-reg inspector said “window restrictors on the bedroom windows” but the landlord said “No” (that’s another long story).

Travel cot – easily climbs out of it. Floor mat and ready bed – just gets up unless I physically sit next to him until he settles under protest which wakes up mindee H. I have tried the sofa/travel cot/ready bed when mindee H is not with us but he indicates to sleep in the pushchair. I’ve spoken to mindee J’s mum but she has no idea what else to try (first time mum).

Any other ideas would be most appreciated. Mindee H will be full time from mid January and I need a plan!

Nina :)

The Juggler
23-12-2010, 02:45 PM
I don't have them but think Sarah? uses yoga/sleep mats or what about those kids ready beds (the squashy pull out sofa thingies) don't think they are very expensive.

mufftie
23-12-2010, 02:56 PM
i would persevere with some cosy bean bags or similar item , you say he gets up too easily but if your firm after a few goes he should get the idea
good luck

snufflepuff
23-12-2010, 03:41 PM
I was going to suggest some sort of arrangement on the floor such as ready bed or pile of comfy cushions/ duvets but I see you have tried the floor. Perhaps try making it special- maybe get a blanket or duvet cover with his favourite thing on, is there a character he likes? animals? cars? And tell him that only he gets to sleep there as he is such a special/ big/ good boy (obviously don't let the other LOs hear you say that, lol!) Or some sort of reward chart for staying there?

sarah707
23-12-2010, 04:14 PM
I had one child who was struggling and I bought a big dog floor cushion - he loves it and curls up on it with a special blanket.

Another child sleeps on my sofa bed and another prefers the buggy.

I would persevere for a week or so and see if he will settle, just gently pop him back wherever you choose and stroke him a little.

Good luck! :D

ninagee
24-12-2010, 01:29 PM
Thank you for your suggestions. Floor type mats it will be as I spoke to mindee J's mum and she is happy to go along with anything as long as he has a nap. I will go for both boys on mats with pillows and each having a Thomas fleece blanket and see what happens.

I love the idea of the big dog cushion, unfortunately my 3 cats will take ownership of any type of cushion that is in the house. For some reason they don't like pillows!

Merry christmas and happy new year to all!

Nina :)

buildingblocks
25-12-2010, 06:49 PM
Sounds like you have had useful advice so far which I can't add too but am interested as to how it would differ him sleeping on the floor to sleeping on the sofa as surely if he doesn't get up off the sofa why would he from the floor on a mat. Just interested as I am thinking of investing in some floor sleep mats.

mushpea
25-12-2010, 08:34 PM
sounds good advice so far and i understand what you say about him getting to big for the pram but maybe he indicates to go in the pram/buggy to sleep because thats where he can get comfortable and is happy there? maybe you could let him sleep there untill either he askds not to or just cant settle in it anymore.