PDA

View Full Version : What's the best present you have received for childminding

minkzebell
23-12-2010, 11:02 AM
I used to mind for a lovely couple and each year they would give me £250 cash in an envelope with a lovely note saying how they were so happy that I was looking after their two girls:blush: This year I have received presents from all of the parents, 1 wrote the most lovely words in the Christmas card she gave me and they have all bought presents for my two children, I feel so lucky ( after reading the other thread,where someone didn't even get a card:eek: )
So......... what's the best present you have received? Hopefully this will cheer everyone up!!!:D

The Juggler
23-12-2010, 11:10 AM
not for christmas but once I was minding for a year for a couple who weren't contracted in the school holidays but I had been offering them the 2 days a week I had free in the hols anyway and they'd used them.

I took 2 weeks off in the Summer holidays at the end of that year and they insisted on paying me 2 weeks holiday pay (equivalent to about £200) as they said I'd been minding in the holidays for most of the year anyway:eek: :eek: I was bowled over to say the least.

However, although that was the most generous, the cards written with thanks and feeling every year which reduce me to tears mean more to me than any presents or gifts and it's the lack of any words or thanks from other parents which upsets me more than anything.

onceinabluemoon
23-12-2010, 11:21 AM
A lovely little travel bubble bath and shower gel set with a scrunchie sponge and hairband.

The mum who gave it to me is on benefits and although it's not an expensive item it would have meant she would have had to go without something to give it to me.

breezy
23-12-2010, 11:25 AM
A huge "thank you" , a hug and a home made card from the kids and I'm happy!

caz3007
23-12-2010, 11:29 AM
I am pleased with the card I received from the young family I mind for as they have said how grateful they are.....thats all I need, but the bottle of something thats under my tree will be nice too.

I had a family leave who I got on really well with and as a leaving gift the mum had bought me the whole set of Twilight books as we had talked about them a while before and I had said I would like to read them. I loved the fact that she had listened to what I had said and picked up on it

Stormy
23-12-2010, 11:39 AM
Last night one of my mums text me to say she was popping over to pick up little one boots he left here, I said I would bring them over to her today as she only came out of hospital Sunday baby no 2. She said she would come to me , and came armed with presents which I havn't opened but a card which said thanks for all your hard work and support and patience with A (monkey at the moment), the card means so much more than the gifts.

miss mopple
23-12-2010, 01:17 PM
My best pressie was from an ex mindee a few years ago. It was a Willow Tree figurine where the angel was holding a shell to her ear. My mindee chose it himself as he remembered me teaching him how to listen to the sea :D

Best pressie this year was some vouchers for a Yankee Candle site :clapping: I'm ever so slightly obsessed with them :blush:

Polly2
23-12-2010, 01:33 PM
I have a parent who gives me a pressy at the end of every term :) Today I had a gift bag with some wonderful smellies, a beautiful scarf (I love scarves :thumbsup: ) and a lush little card. She also bought 2 big boxes of choccys for my children.

I am feeling very appreciated today :thumbsup:

Alibali
23-12-2010, 02:09 PM
I always receive lovely gifts, so it would be hard to say, but this year my best so far is a gift from my after schoolie, it's a Thomas Sabo style bracelet from M&S ans inside the box it says 'wear this semi-precious rose quartz bracelet as a symbol of how loved and special you are', it made me cry:)

Hebs
23-12-2010, 02:17 PM
mine is my 5 year old mindee who just started here in august crying yesterday cos she's going to miss me over the christmas holidays i got a lovely big hug off her

it shows me i'm going my job right :thumbsup:

sarah707
23-12-2010, 04:37 PM
I have been spoiled rotten!

I am so made up by the pressies I have received from every single family this year.

I cannot tell you how lovely it is. I never expect anything from anyone and usually get a couple of gifts but this year...

WOW! :D

Hebs
23-12-2010, 04:41 PM
i have presents from mindees and their parents but havent opened them yet :D

one mum kept her 2 boys at home today to give me an extra day off as my christmas present :clapping:

Ripeberry
23-12-2010, 05:13 PM
I've had cards of 3 of my famillies and one gave my children a present each and another invited my girls to their daughter's 1st birthday party and they had party bags (older children there).

One parent that I've only known for over a month has given me a lovely card and a giant box of chocolates :D , I only have her child for 8hrs a week!

But one parent has not given anything at all, no card...nothing. Never mind :rolleyes:

solly
23-12-2010, 05:46 PM
Out of all the children I care for 6 sets of parents, I have only recieved 2 cards and 2 presents.

I dont expect anything but a card would of been nice.

One of my mums went and got me a special card (I only have him 6 1/2 hours a week) which has on the front "you have taken such good care of me" and a lovely verse inside.

mamasheshe
23-12-2010, 06:10 PM
i've cards off everyone and a little pressies for the girls which are under the tree xx

georgie456
23-12-2010, 06:42 PM
I don't tend to get presents from parents but they always buy my own two children presents which I think is lovely.

However, tonight when the last mindee left, I got a lovely hug from mum and a "thankyou for everything you have done for us this year" That was the nicest gift ever :)

loocyloo
23-12-2010, 07:02 PM
i've had cards/chocs/wine from all my parents this year, and my children have got a few pressies too, which is lovely and unexpected.

but my best present this year was when one of my mums said ''i'm still not discussing you moving away, i don't want you to go" once i had shut the door it made me cry! they are a young family and so sweet and i love them all lots!

mummyof3
23-12-2010, 08:50 PM
I got a bottle of vodka (they know me so well ;) ) and a hug and kiss from one parent (only have little one 2hrs a week) they tell me every week they'd be lost without me which is lovely.

I got a bag full of presents for me, my children and even my dog from another parent I wasn't expecting anything from them so I was very choked.

One family turned up today on my day off with a present.

The other 5 families I haven't had a card or even a merry christmas from :mad:

funemnx
23-12-2010, 09:09 PM
I've had some lovely gifts from parents and children over the years - the one that reduced me to a snivelling wreck was the card I got this week from my little 2 year old where mum had written L always says in the car on the way to yours 'my love Becky' (welling up again!) :blush:

flowerpots
23-12-2010, 09:47 PM
awww guys, you all sound very appreciated :D i have 4 sets of parents and recieved 2 cards! (i dont expect anything, i know times are tough but a 'merry christmas' doesnt cost anything lol), oh well i still love them all. :rolleyes:

claire'scherubs
23-12-2010, 10:12 PM
I've been quite lucky this year, out of the 5 families, I have received cards and gifts from all but 2 families. Most of the gifts look like and feel like (lol) biscuits and chocs so they are for all the family which is nice and one feel like a bit of pampering for me.

The 2 people that haven't is a single mum (fair enough) and a very rich family, however she did right some lovely comments in the daily diary and learning journal and on my facebook and I think that probably brought the biggest tears to my eyes

Noomie
23-12-2010, 10:14 PM
Best pressies are from teaching as only been minding a couple of months.

I taught a young boy with autism when he was in year 1, 2 and 4 and had a lot to do with him the years I wasn't teaching him. Taught his brother in year 3. The mother always wrote lovely notes in my cards about how much the boys had grown in my classes and got lovely presents. But I loved the one when she let the boy choose for himself. He chose a photo frame that you would get for a wedding (as I had been married earlier that year). But he just wanted to get me it. When I left the school, they printed out a certificate for me (like you do pupils).

Another parent gave me a tenner. Thought it was great! I could treat myself then.

But I like how this year some of my families have bought for my DD. And they thought about what she likes.

AnnieM
27-12-2010, 09:29 PM
Not a Christmas present but when my 3 mindees moved away last year they did me a photo book of all 3 of them with photo's from when they were born until the week before they left, some were ones that I had given them on disc of their childrens time with me others were family photo's and the children had also done pictures which had been put into it too. :) I blubbed for days over that one, but I also just got a £50 pandora voucher for christmas as they knew hubby was buying me a bracelet for Christmas. :D I blubbed at that one too. :rolleyes: I bought a teddy charm and a little boy charm, to remind me who got me them. :thumbsup:

babs
27-12-2010, 10:47 PM
i got a card from all 5 of mine , bottle baileys and 2 bottles of wine.....:clapping: :clapping:

Beetlejuice
27-12-2010, 11:52 PM
The best present I've had for childminding was a Willow Tree figure when a child left me. It's of a woman cradling a baby with one arm and cuddling a small child with the other. The parent said it was me to a T as I was so caring - and I cried buckets lol!!!!:o The funny thing is that the parent is now a childminder and I see her all the time - and she still laughs at me for crying when she gave me the present lol!!:D I've also had two pictures from two different mindees who have left me - handmade by them which were lovely (they were only 2 and 3 respectively when they left) And when another child left me at the end of the school hols this year, amongst other presents, was a plaque which said 'If I had to choose again, I'd choose you'!!! Again I cried buckets!! :o