PDA

View Full Version : manipulative 5 year old girl pushing my limits...

jumpinjen
22-12-2010, 02:24 PM
She told me she was allergic to mushrooms and onions when she saw me cooking mushroom and bacon pasta for lunch..... so i called her bluff and telephone her mum in front of her..... no not allergic..... so she said she didn't like it, i said well everyone eats what is prepared here, you can pick the mushrooms out if you want.... so she ate half and left the rest then half an hour after lunch asked for an apple. I said no as she hadn't eaten her munch so couldn't be hungry. ten mins after that sent my three year old out to ask me if they could all have biscuits...... erm no (my three year old not having apple either as she didn't finish).

And that is just one incident.... she deliberately does things she or all the children have been asked not to, puts her two year old sister up to things, asks to play a game then when doesn't like something says she isn't playing anymore, cheats blatantly at board games and irritates the others then denies it, and is generally being disruptive and driving me crackers..... all watching a film after repeated warnings about poking another child with her feet......aaaargh, roll on 4pm, i'm having to plaster a smile on at the moment.

oh and every craft activity we do she has already done yesterday at home, but better (she was here 8-5!)

Sigh:( Jen

mummyof3
22-12-2010, 03:50 PM
Have you got my mindee there????? :laughing:

I just ignore her to be honest. When she complains she has done a craft activity (which I know is a fib) I remove it and give her a blank piece of paper and crayons and ask her to draw a picture whilst we all have fun doing the craft activity ;)

If she doesn't like the food I do the same as you I will not offer alternative and if they don't eat it they don't get anything else after.

I've spoken to parents about my mindee but they say she is worse at home :rolleyes:

mushpea
22-12-2010, 04:13 PM
gosh you must have a copy of my mindee too,,,, looked at the penguis we made yesterday and anounced she had done one at home and it was much better than any of them!

jumpinjen
22-12-2010, 04:36 PM
She has gone now thank goodness but i finally had it when we were decorating mini christmas trees that I had bought for each child, decorating with tinsel and baubles and stars, and she was making comments like 'is that all there is?' and 'why didn't you get lights for them?', then telling me that it was stupid because she struggled to wrap the tinsel round it by herself.... I simply asked her if she was ever happy with anything that anybody did for her and did she know how to join in and enjoy things? she just pouted and then mum arrived 20 mins later to pick up.

got her next week for 8 hours too.... but got few enough to get them in the car to go out somewhere cos right now i don't want her in my house again!!

jen x

flowerpots
22-12-2010, 05:14 PM
awww well done for getting through it, she sounds like a bit of a madam! :eek:

miffy
22-12-2010, 05:37 PM
Sounds like she'd try the patience of a saint!

What does mum say, is she like this at home and how do they deal with her?

Hope you have a relaxing evening.

Miffy xx

georgie456
22-12-2010, 06:38 PM
She must be related to one of my mindees!!!!!! Today was a LONG day (7-6!) and at one point I had to shut myself in the kitchen for 2 mins and place my head on the worktop whilst eating a piece of my emergency chocolate!!!!!

hello kitty
22-12-2010, 06:49 PM
She must be related to one of my mindees!!!!!! Today was a LONG day (7-6!) and at one point I had to shut myself in the kitchen for 2 mins and place my head on the worktop whilst eating a piece of my emergency chocolate!!!!!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: I've got some of that too!

jumpinjen
22-12-2010, 06:49 PM

oh that made me giggle.... not just me with emergency choc then??!!

Pipsqueak
22-12-2010, 08:33 PM

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

VINASOL
22-12-2010, 11:09 PM
She told me she was allergic to mushrooms and onions when she saw me cooking mushroom and bacon pasta for lunch..... so i called her bluff and telephone her mum in front of her..... no not allergic..... so she said she didn't like it, i said well everyone eats what is prepared here, you can pick the mushrooms out if you want.... so she ate half and left the rest then half an hour after lunch asked for an apple. I said no as she hadn't eaten her munch so couldn't be hungry. ten mins after that sent my three year old out to ask me if they could all have biscuits...... erm no (my three year old not having apple either as she didn't finish).

And that is just one incident.... she deliberately does things she or all the children have been asked not to, puts her two year old sister up to things, asks to play a game then when doesn't like something says she isn't playing anymore, cheats blatantly at board games and irritates the others then denies it, and is generally being disruptive and driving me crackers..... all watching a film after repeated warnings about poking another child with her feet......aaaargh, roll on 4pm, i'm having to plaster a smile on at the moment.

oh and every craft activity we do she has already done yesterday at home, but better (she was here 8-5!)

Sigh:( Jen

Sounds just like my mindee...I do often call her bluff with her mum too.

Louise0208
23-12-2010, 07:49 AM
i know i shouldnt say this......but im going to :(

I personally find 5 year olds the worse age to mind (i have 2 & my own 5 year old....thankfully not all at the same time....i dont know how infant school teachers do it :mad: )

some have only just started school so are now not the centre of attention like they have been used to for the past 5 years, they snitch over the most, trivial little things like my baby is stood looking into the aquarium or someone said no to him (after he demanded something off them), they know how to lie & get others in trouble and pick up/copy there school friends bad habits!

iv got 1 for 8 hours today, how also has single child syndrome :rolleyes: (and the monster in law :censored: ) ....needless to say im trying to get out the house for as much as possible today, though his mum is not happy im taking her boy out in the cold weather.....TOUGH! my sanity is more important! :jump for joy:

angiemog
23-12-2010, 08:39 AM
This post is making me smile........ only because I had a similiar day with my 5 year old mindee. He was an absolute nightmare made slightly worse cos he's my 'sweet' nephew. He was making comments about how he is bigger and better...... asking why my 2 year old mindees werent drawing properly. I felt like all day I was saying noooooooooooo, please try to be quieter, be nice, they are only 2 you are 5, why don't you listen................. At 2 clock I let my husband take over dealing with him, until he left for work at 4.30. At pick up time for another mindee he turned into a screaming shouting monster I picked him up and closed the door on him. In the end I said I don't like getting cross but you don't listen to me when I ask you not to do something. After a difficult day this has made me feel better. I did however come home to a sweet message on my answer phone saying,'Auntie Angie, I love you and I miss you I hope you had a nice dinner (I went out with friends) and I'm sad because I miss you.' I smiled but was thinking I wonder what he is missing??? Maybe his mum wasn't too happy with him. I didn't say anything to her about him but I know she doesn't have as much patience as I do.
Thank you xx

vix84
23-12-2010, 09:07 AM
Now this is what is worrying me as Im looking to take on school children which I havent had any experience with really, any tips of the best way to handle school age behaviour?

jumpinjen
23-12-2010, 05:31 PM
Now this is what is worrying me as Im looking to take on school children which I havent had any experience with really, any tips of the best way to handle school age behaviour?

wine..... after hours obviously! only joking, you just have to be constantly searching for ways to be one step ahead of them! it isn't my favourite age to mind and i keep trying to remind myself that it can't be easy for them either being out of their house for the day but some days i have to work hard to like them. one thing i woul say is that i woul never take on very long hours for school aged, like til 7/8 at night, i just couldn't cope with it! they aren't all like that anyway, one i had always played beautifully but i lost her due to mum quibbling over hours to be paid! ah well!

loocyloo
23-12-2010, 07:18 PM
[QUOTE=jumpinjen;836697]wine..... after hours obviously! QUOTE]

i have 'daytime wine' also know as coke! only drunk rarely, but sometimes you just need SOMETHING to get through the day !!!

i too used to have a mindee who had done everything/got everything/been everywhere much bigger and better than i did! :laughing:

sweets
23-12-2010, 08:06 PM
give me tantruming 2 year olds and screaming 1 year olds any day! :laughing:

mushpea
23-12-2010, 08:22 PM
i had a demanding only child 5yrold today,, ok most of the day but mum had told her she might pick her up early so all day she ketp ask3ing whenmum was comming and as i had been told no different i asumed it would be normal time and kept telling her 5.30pm but each time I told her this she would get upset,,, mum did pick up early but only by 1hour so i told mum that next time she musnt tell her she may pick up early cause it just caused us all misery!
I also get 'mine is the best' at every craft and ' I cant do this' as she expects me to do it for her,, even the simplist craft or cooking project she 'cant do' but i just say if you cant do it you wont have it and several time she has gone without. think a lot of stuff is just done for her ,, she never asks for help but just assumes it will happen
hmm,, must be a 5yrold thing

funemnx
23-12-2010, 08:31 PM
Emergency chocolate :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I have 1 school age child - eating dinner ("I really don't like this dinner Becky") at mine one night, looking out the window into the garden "Becky is that ALL the garden you have?" My Kitchen is bigger than that" :eek: !!!!

MaryMary
23-12-2010, 10:52 PM
I know it is an awful thing to say, but there are some kids that it is really hard to warm to :blush:
I am going to have the pleasure of a 5 year old madam - on Christmas day!! (my neice) She isn't a mindee (they are thankfully too far away!) but she is a madam!! Her mum & dad were going away for the weekend & I made sure I had her little brother (at the time 7 months old & breast-fed, didn't sleep through & didn't do a poo all weekend 'cos of the formula!!) I let Nannie have madam - it was preferable :D
I do mind a 2 boys in yr1 (5 & 6 yr olds) and they are hard work, but their mum's are lovely, which makes it so much easier :clapping:

vix84
24-12-2010, 03:28 PM
Maybe I should re-think taking on school ager's lol - but dont have much choice when I return as I now have 2 of my own children taking up the under 5 spaces!