PDA

View Full Version : how much money if any have you lost due to the snow

mufftie
22-12-2010, 11:03 AM
im really annoyed i was in for a really bumper week in takings but with cancellations ive lost almost £250 aswell as £150 last week
its in my cantract to pay half fee , but some of those were only casual agreements for this week as extras so are not in my contracted hours , i asked one parent for half fee and she said get stuffed basically as she couldnt help the snow . fair enough but its not my fault either .
im lucky enough to probably manage the bills but there will be no january sales treats for my self this year which angers me as after feeling undervalued by my parents i was looking forward to treating myself , huh should have guessed as im never that lucky

update one of my parents has restored my faith bless them , i invited them round to collect their daughters xmas present and birthday present as it happens to be her birthday today but she been off due to a high temp aswel as the snow issues , they came and went after recieving the prezzie then came back and offered to pay me saying they insisted on paying up plus another parent offered to pay her half fee that was due so things arnt as bad as first thought :clapping:

rickysmiths
22-12-2010, 11:05 AM
None because I am open. Its not my problem if the parents can't get to me. If they can't or choose not to, it is full fee.

My parents usually walk if they can't get their car up the hill.

singlewiththree
22-12-2010, 11:06 AM
I have casual extras too and the same as you, the rest still have to pay as they are full contracts.

Mrs Pootle
22-12-2010, 11:15 AM
Luckily I've not lost out at all. My mindees were able to get to me, and as they all pay in advance the money is safely in my bank account. I just hope I don't have problems in January when the schools go back, as if there is no heating on in school for 2 weeks there could be problems with pipes freezing etc, and so the school will close:(

FussyElmo
22-12-2010, 11:19 AM
Nothing as I have been open.

And as for my casual contract well I never count on that money till its in my hand :)

Mouse
22-12-2010, 11:22 AM
If I ever have casual extras I give them a booking form & an invoice, which says that fees need to be paid to book a place and are non-refundable. If fees are not paid, no place will be available. If fees are paid, but parents then cancel, I don't give a refund.
I find it works well & stops parents saying they want you & then changing their mind at the last minute.

I'm lucky that I haven't lost any money due to the snow. I've opened everyday & parents have all managed to get to me. If they didn't get here they would still have to pay as I am open as usual.

mufftie
22-12-2010, 11:23 AM
i think im going to have to start charging monthly as then its my call when i invoice them how much i charge for non attendance i give my parents an option when they start on how to pay and getting half fee out of the weekly payers is a night mare
or even better get them to pay in advance but i think it may put some parents off

Mouse
22-12-2010, 11:43 AM
i think im going to have to start charging monthly as then its my call when i invoice them how much i charge for non attendance i give my parents an option when they start on how to pay and getting half fee out of the weekly payers is a night mare
or even better get them to pay in advance but i think it may put some parents off

All my parents pay monthly & it's never put anyone off. They can pay weekly or monthly, but always in advance. I just don't give the option of paying in arrears, so they don't question it.

mufftie
22-12-2010, 11:45 AM
think i need to become a lot firmer in the new year as its not just pocket money im working for anymore

Mouse
22-12-2010, 11:53 AM
think i need to become a lot firmer in the new year as its not just pocket money im working for anymore

I'm quite firm from the beginning. Over the years I've found it's easier to start off firm & maybe relax things over time than it is to start off soft & try to toughen up when things don't go well :thumbsup:

JCrakers
22-12-2010, 12:27 PM
I have been quite firm from the beginning too. I work exactly as a nursey and I cant see a nursery not charging or refunding.

I do the same work as a nursery so charge as a nursery would. Monthly or weekly in advance so theres no arguements.

Becky x

~Chelle~
22-12-2010, 01:10 PM
None because I am open. Its not my problem if the parents can't get to me. If they can't or choose not to, it is full fee.

Same here :thumbsup:

Louise0208
22-12-2010, 01:16 PM
im not loosing anything as none of my parents drive, in fact im gaining extra as i have a LO for a few hours tomorrow as he was visiting great grandma but she wont be able to pick him up etc so im having him instead at holiday rate :D

Daftbat
22-12-2010, 01:32 PM
My contracts state that occassional days off for whatever reason are charged at full price and so I haven't lost anything strictly speaking - however, for the 4 days that I didn't have some children because the snow was awful here I decided to charge half fees as a gesture of goodwill.

All my customers have been lovely and really appreciated what I have done. and I have a few brownie pioints in the bag in case I need to turn the tables in the future to suit my requirements.:littleangel:

Rubybubbles
22-12-2010, 01:49 PM

same here, although my parents will make it here in a earthquake as they have paid me:laughing: I have 2 full timers

I only have term time only school runs so haven't been affected by them either, although if the school closes I do not take them all day, but still charge before and after as I am avaible then (that was a hard one for parents to get round, but I don't want them all day:o )

mum2two
22-12-2010, 02:07 PM
Nothing lost here. I am open, and most can get to me anyway & work from home.

I too charge in advance (been stung badly before), so once fees are paid, they are paid. (Obviously unless I can't open!)

xx

jumpinjen
22-12-2010, 02:27 PM
im really annoyed i was in for a really bumper week in takings but with cancellations ive lost almost £250 aswell as £150 last week
its in my cantract to pay half fee , but some of those were only casual agreements for this week as extras so are not in my contracted hours , i asked one parent for half fee and she said get stuffed basically as she couldnt help the snow . fair enough but its not my fault either .
im lucky enough to probably manage the bills but there will be no january sales treats for my self this year which angers me as after feeling undervalued by my parents i was looking forward to treating myself , huh should have guessed as im never that lucky

really sorry to hear this.... perhaps next time the mum who told you to get stuffed needs a favour you might have no vacancies??!!

I suggest you design a booking form and parents sign to say that booked hours will be paid for regardless of whether they bring child or not.... if you are open then they stick to your fee structure as per contract.

A strongly worded letter to all concerned regarding the fact that you were open and have been messed around to go with it and you are considering only sticking to contracted hours in the future due to the inconsideration for your business might make them think.

outrageous behaviour.

hugs, Jen x

jumpinjen
22-12-2010, 02:29 PM

oh and DEFINATELY start charging in advance 'to put yourself in line with all other childcare businesses'

mufftie
22-12-2010, 02:52 PM
thanks , i will write a letter up as its just not on
i think if its on an official letter for all to read it dosnt seem like im aiming it at any one in particular
and as for the lady who said she refused to pay im definately not going to be as accomodating next time . it wouldnt be so bad but i know that she gets most of the fees paid for by tax credits

lessons definately learnt here i think

Tam's Tribe
22-12-2010, 02:58 PM

Same here . . . plus I also get paid a month in advance straight into my bank account!

charleyfarley
22-12-2010, 03:09 PM
Not a single penny :thumbsup: I'm still open and available to care for the children.

Carol xx

singingcactus
22-12-2010, 03:53 PM
I've not lost anything as we all live and work on the compound. If I'd had any school-agers I would have ended up with more work, thankfully though I only have preschoolers until january when my quiet life turns manic.

sillysausage
22-12-2010, 03:54 PM
I've not lost a penny.....I've actually gained because when the schools were closed I had the school aged ones for extra hours.....mind you I earned every penny, the older ones were hyper!!!!

Zoomie
22-12-2010, 03:56 PM
I haven't lost anything because of the snow but December has been a BAD month.

DD was poorly for 2 days (my two busiest).
Cancelled one mindee cos my mum was arriving from overseas and I needed to fetch her (had two other mindees till lunchtime, but lost 3rd mindee for the whole day).
Then mum's flight was cancelled because of the snow, so it was a wasted cancellation on my part
My FIL passed away, so I've lost two full days pay there, and with being shut for 2 weeks with no pay as I am holiday, all of these thing together have really hit hard.

Not much we can do about it.

mayberry
22-12-2010, 05:04 PM
[QUOTE=rickysmiths;835853]None because I am open. Its not my problem if the parents can't get to me. If they can't or choose not to, it is full fee.

I get paid 52 weeks of the year weekly or monthly In advance :clapping: :clapping:

nokidshere
22-12-2010, 05:31 PM
I haven't lost anything. Thankfully my parents are quite happy to pay regardless of wether i am open or not because of snow :thumbsup:

Marshmallow
22-12-2010, 07:55 PM
:thumbsup: I also get paid monthly upfront, so if they cant get here, not my loss :littleangel:

:jump for joy: :jump for joy: I'm here and open :jump for joy: :jump for joy:

SYLVIA
22-12-2010, 08:03 PM
I didn't lose any either. Paid monthly and wouldn't even think to offer a refund. As already said, I'm here and ready to work, so I want my pay

onceinabluemoon
22-12-2010, 08:06 PM
I've not lost anything.

If children do not come for whatever reason and I am open fees are payable. I also always charge in advance and it's only ever put one person off.

wendywu
22-12-2010, 09:47 PM
Same for me they pay because i am open.:)

Monkey1
22-12-2010, 09:58 PM
i had to cancel one school run week before last as it was so icy and little one fell over 11 times on the way to school on the monday. Hubby collects from other school and we have more from there so i stayed in with the lo's and he did one school. Had to refund 150.........not the nicest time of year to refund money!

Chatterbox Childcare
22-12-2010, 09:59 PM

me too thank goodness

mufftie
22-12-2010, 10:21 PM

Cancelled one mindee cos my mum was arriving from overseas and I needed to fetch her (had two other mindees till lunchtime, but lost 3rd mindee for the whole day).
Then mum's flight was cancelled because of the snow, so it was a wasted cancellation on my part
My FIL passed away, so I've lost two full days pay there, and with being shut for 2 weeks with no pay as I am holiday, all of these thing together have really hit hard.

oh no sorry to hear that

mayberry
23-12-2010, 04:38 AM

Thinking of you, sorry to here your having a bad time sending you hugs:group hug:

Dawn xx

charlie potato
23-12-2010, 11:10 AM
I took a casual mindee and she was to sign contract the first day. The snow stopped that and i lost out on 3 days. Since then she's paid up every day or in advance and the child is a dream so i've just taken the beginning on the chin as its one of them things. xx