PDA

View Full Version : -16 and an underdressed baby

little chickee
22-12-2010, 09:44 AM
Its -16 degrees here today and my 1yo mindee has arrived wearing just jeans and a t-shirt and a thin snowsuit!

i actually really annoyed on behalf of the poor frozen baby. The snowsuit is an improvement on the usual summer jacket that shes been wearing but its not very thick.

No hat, or gloves no vest, no jumper. I have dropped hints, sent out a newsletter etc but i am going to have to get blunt. My sons ( 11 and 7) went to school this morning with about 5 layers on and where still feeling the cold.

I have lo on Friday and we are going out to see the reindeer and Santa and will be outside for about an hour so will have to ensure she is well wrapped up.

Louise0208
22-12-2010, 09:59 AM
i have one of those too,

shes 3 & wears socks with skirts in snow, sleeveless tops, and last month when it snowed she arrived in slippers & sundress with nothing to change into....after i had already called mum first thing & said we are going out to a country park on the sledge & to wrap the girls in plenty of layers :angry: i managed to squeeze her into some of my daughters clothes (shes a year younger) but thats not the point!

mufftie
22-12-2010, 10:50 AM
sounds very familliar , i had to tell 2 of my parents to buy their 1 yr olds some shoes as they were arriving with just socks no consideration on how cold thier little feet get whilst outside i was quite blunt in the end and sure enough they came the next week wearing some one of the same parents would never put a vest on their baby either just a t-shirt it made me so mad . ive got spares but its just not the point :panic:

rickysmiths
22-12-2010, 11:21 AM
If a child arrived with me inappropriately dressed for an activity that I had given the parent plenty of warning for, I would send them home to get the right clothing or send the child home as they would not be able to take part in the activities you have planned for ALL the children in you care.

They will only do it once!

I would only not do this if they were special circumstances.

mufftie
22-12-2010, 11:25 AM
If a child arrived with me inappropriately dressed for an activity that I had given the parent plenty of warning for, I would send them home to get the right clothing or send the child home as they would not be able to take part in the activities you have planned for ALL the children in you care.

They will only do it once!

I would only not do this if they were special circumstances.

good for you , think i need to get a backbone

Louise0208
22-12-2010, 01:22 PM
its amazing how the parents are always wrapped up toastie though isnt it? :angry:

Pipsqueak
22-12-2010, 01:32 PM
its because half these parents stick the child in the car from a warm toastie house and then bring them into our own warm toastie houses and then behave all suprised that we GO OUT in the rain/snow/wind/sun. They forget that baby is laying immobile in a buggy/pram and assume that we have enough blankets and wraps (more often than not we do!).

little chickee
22-12-2010, 02:10 PM
They do arrive by car but unless she runs the engine for 30 mins with the heater on full it must still be freezing.

I am at a loss to understand why a parent would not protect their wee one from the cold. I have had to stay in today because i cannot allow this lo to be outside.

I'm in the house with the heating full on and i still have a t shirt and sweatshirt on. its just too cold poor thing.

jumpinjen
22-12-2010, 02:15 PM
You could perhaps text mum and explain that LO cold even with heating on full and she really needs to either collect Lo for the rest of the day or bring her some warmer clothing straight away.

i don't have this happen but i can imagine.

jen x

flowerpots
22-12-2010, 05:04 PM
i have this happen to me lots with the lo i have two days a week, mum really struggles to get her act together and no amount of asking has ever ended up with her bringing warm clothes so i just popped to primark and bought a few jumpers,m hat scarf and gloves and lo wears them here and then takes them off just before he goes home (otherwise they will never get brought back). :rolleyes:

mufftie
22-12-2010, 05:13 PM
ive done that bought cheep clothes for them to wear at my house and like you they come off before they go home as they never would come back its hopeless

karen m
22-12-2010, 10:24 PM
i have a little one who comes in a sleepsuit and anorak,no gloves ,no socks on,on the odd day she wears normal clothes i spend the day replacing socks and shoes ,everytime she moves they come off,told dad "oh well never mind "excuse me i do mind have other lo to look after and i worry i will lose shoes when out