PDA

View Full Version : Leaving minded children

samanthat6987
22-12-2010, 08:29 AM
I collect from a pre school where you can not take your pushchairs into the building, you have to leave them out the front and the manager stands and supervises children leaving and babies in pushchairs while you walk around the back of the building and collect child from preschool leaving via the front.

I am now in the position where I have other minded children with me that do not walk so will have a double buggy.

My question is what do you think that I should do?

Thank you

Vickster
22-12-2010, 08:39 AM
I guess the manager is CRB checked, can you talk to them about what they advise you to do with the children, could they take the child into nursery? If they can't include it in your permissions for parents to sign.

It is difficult from Jan for two days I will have an 18 month old and a 9 month old and my son's teachers and my son likes you to read them a story before class begins...I also do a nursery drop off/pick up 2/3 days a week and am wondering what to do then as I can't take pushchairs in either. With school I can actually wheel the push chair in as far as the corridor so will get my son to bring the book out there, but when dropping my 4 year old mindee off, I will have to leave them in the pushchair outside. I can see them at all times. I don't like doing it but chasing after a toddler and a crawler as well as sorting a four year old does not appeal.

moogster1a
22-12-2010, 09:40 AM
vickster
your son's school expects you to read a story in school before the day starts? That sounds practical!Which idiot thought that one up? I'd tell them to whistle for that one and politely point out that during school hours the children's education is their affair.

MaryMary
22-12-2010, 09:59 AM
vickster
your son's school expects you to read a story in school before the day starts? That sounds practical!Which idiot thought that one up? I'd tell them to whistle for that one and politely point out that during school hours the children's education is their affair.

Yet another kick in the teeth for working parents! :angry:
Not everyone would have time for that because of other commitments - yet they would feel guilty not doing it! If they read at home, they shouldn't be made to feel guilty for not doing it while the school should be doing it!!

berkschick
22-12-2010, 10:14 AM
We have this at the foundation unit at school.

Luckily there are 5 minders dropping off / picking up so we work together and 3 of us wait with the buggies and other under 5's whilst the other 2 go into the building to collect. The parents have all given permission for this and it works well.

Kes
22-12-2010, 10:16 AM
As the manager will be CRB'd etc you should be fine. Otherwise can you ask them if its possible for a member of staff to walk round with the child your collecting.
Also might be an idea to get the parents to sign a permission form to leave the child under the supervision of the manager while you walk round.

mufftie
22-12-2010, 10:45 AM
Yet another kick in the teeth for working parents! :angry:
Not everyone would have time for that because of other commitments - yet they would feel guilty not doing it! If they read at home, they shouldn't be made to feel guilty for not doing it while the school should be doing it!!

i agree schools just dont take into consideration the needs of working women they just expect us all to be able to accomodate their sometimes very stupid ways and then make you feel guilty if you dont
as for leaving the children in a buggy could you not get another childminder to wait like someone else said and then get parents to sign a permission form

rickysmiths
22-12-2010, 10:48 AM
vickster

What an unhelpful ,exclusuve idea. I would be campaining to stop it. As others have said what about the parents who work and as a childminder with several children from 0 up I wouldn't be able to do this for my children or the minded children I take to school each day. How do those children feel when they see mums/dads reading with their children?

Vickster
22-12-2010, 06:00 PM
It is idiotic isn't it....so they have probably the most intimate moment with you of the morning as mornings are always a rush and then you leave them....my son is really sensitive and often gets upset if something is not right, I am sure if I just dropped and ran he would be much better. My friends little girl won't even let her mum walk her in as she gets so upset.

I agree those that go to breakfast club or are with Nannies/minders can't always be read with. This goes on until year 2....

Vickster
22-12-2010, 06:01 PM
As for other children, I often have about 5 around me... if I am minding my 4 year old. My 18 month old just pulls things out of the drawers and trashes the place, I just let her as I can't focus on a story and contain her

sarah707
22-12-2010, 06:42 PM
The Eyfs says that children must be in your sight or hearing at all times.

I have been told about childminders getting in trouble for leaving children with other childminders, even for a few minutes while they pop into school... because they are not meeting the requirements of the Eyfs... even with parents permission.

The problem with parents written permission is that it is only ok while the child is safe. As soon as something goes wrong you are the one to blame and a permission sheet becomes as good as worthless because you were not meeting the statutory requirements.

You need to come up with some way of organising things so the child goes in with you or you can see the child while dropping the other child.

I hope you can sort it out xx

onceinabluemoon
22-12-2010, 07:23 PM
We have a similar thing here.

I just told the preschool manager that legally I have to have the mindees in my sight or hearing at all times and cannot leave them outside with her employee. I take the buggy in with me every day (the other CM who drops off and collects at our preschool leaves her mindees outside) From January I will have two under ones and will have to take a double in with me...

Have you tired talking with the manager at yours? You could find the relevant part in EYFS and show her perhaps? They should be falling over themselves to work in partnership with you ...

georgie456
22-12-2010, 07:35 PM
We have this at the foundation unit at school.

Luckily there are 5 minders dropping off / picking up so we work together and 3 of us wait with the buggies and other under 5's whilst the other 2 go into the building to collect. The parents have all given permission for this and it works well.

This is what I do. I am very grateful for my colleagues as it allows me to do the story thing with my daughter!

claire'scherubs
22-12-2010, 08:46 PM
I have a similar problem at the nursery my DD goes to. I can't get my double buggy in and out of the building easily. We go in the front door, and when we collect we go in the back door and out through the front door.

What I do is wait at the front door at collection time and when they start opening the door to let the children out with their parents, the staff see me at the door and then let my DD come to me. No one is left out of sight at any time. Does that help?? Obviously not sure of the logistics for you x