PDA

View Full Version : Top tips please

Vickster
22-12-2010, 07:53 AM
Dear experienced childminders and holders of all knowledge.

Please tell me about your days, how you approach them, how you get children to calm down who just like running around all day when they can't go outside for long.

I am a chilled out person, but yesterday at approx 1.30pm with my 4. Two 5 year a 4 year old and my 18 month old..... I had to walk in the kitchen and take a minute to myself. They are all hyper because of Christmas. We then did an hour of sticking making and G***** and normal fun resumed. Does this still happen to you sometimes or is this part of the steep learning cuve I am on and I will get used to it...Usually the two 5 year olds are at school... We did go out into town in the morning on the bus which was absolutely fine as was the majority of the day....just that little wibble of me taking time out.... ;) The children were obviously completely unaware that I needed a minute to focus

flowerpots
22-12-2010, 07:59 AM
i get a little bit like this once in a while, where i jst have to get my thoughts together, if mine cant get outside and they are running around in the house, we usually sit down talk about the house rules (we walk in house because....) then we will just do a circle time activity, but sounds like you handled it perfeclty by sitting them down for an hour with crafts. :)

Pipsqueak
22-12-2010, 08:09 AM
We all get a bit frayed round the edges at times and alll have to disappear to the kitchen/garden/bathroom/shed/forum - especially at times of year such as this (the other biggie is summer hols lol).

What you need to do is balance out the WHOOOOO playing with some quieter activities such as chill out time - DVD/reading a book/ jigsaw/ SLEEP time etc.
Do some crafting activities that takes it down a notch or two. don't be afraid to instigate it all either.

Vickster
22-12-2010, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the reassurance, I was doubting myself.