PDA

View Full Version : 2nd hand right or wrong?

SamWilliams1980
21-12-2010, 03:05 PM
Hi, think i am right here and done nothing wrong, but for my piece of mind.....

I needed some new equipment items, and few extras i fancied, but like everyone else, a bit skint. I decided to see what bargains could be had on Ebay. Anyway to cut a long story short, a propective LOs parent wasnt happy that i used 2nd hand stuff and that was a deal breaker for her.

I would never use anything that was in good enough condition and even then i would never use certain things 2nd hand, ie mattresses, car seats etc. But got a new double pushchair (well new to me) in good condition,immaculate infact, just came up in conversation about it being from ebay and she said should wouldnt allow her lo to go in it......

Is that fair enough... I cant afford to buy everything new:(

mama2three
21-12-2010, 03:11 PM
How odd! Even if you had bought it new then other children would have been using it before her child. Most of my equipment has been my own sons , then used for minding - plus a few extra bits. My double buggy was from ebay , certainly couldnt justify the expense of a new one when starting out. Id put it down to a lucky escape , she sounds like saijas fish fingers parent to me!

georgie456
21-12-2010, 03:12 PM
Blimey the majority of my stuff is 2nd hand!!!!
I couldn't have got up and running without charity shops and ebay.
Obviously I only get things that are in very good condition and are safe, and like you would never buy a 2nd hand car seat.
My double buggy that has lasted me 5 years was £20 form ebay and I certainly wouldn't have paid the £200 for a new one when it was simply for work.

You are doing nothing wrong.

Mrs Pootle
21-12-2010, 03:13 PM
I think she is being a little fussy. I have bought a lot of my equipment/resources from the likes of Ebay, church fair, charity shops. I always check things are clean and in good working order, it is all part of risk assessing which we do constantly in this job.
Does this parent expect you to provide "all new" for her child, and that her child has sole use of the equipment? Any resources you have will be 2nd hand, as a variety of children will have used them.
I wouldn't worry, I don't think you are doing anything wrong.:)

PixiePetal
21-12-2010, 03:15 PM
Loads of my toys and equipment are second hand - nothing wrong with that at all. As mama2three said even stuff I bought new once belonged to my own children!

A buggy was from ebay, duplo from car boot sales/charity shops and other toys and equipment from forum members :thumbsup:

I do buy new too but not everything

What a strange deal breaker

catlyn
21-12-2010, 03:16 PM
most of my stuff like pushchairs and some toys is second hand..i agree...I think you have had a narrow escape...she sounds like she could have been trouble

Lems
21-12-2010, 03:22 PM
:eek: There is absolutly nothing wrong in using previously owned items :rolleyes:
As I'm sure you and everyone makes sure they are clean and fit for purpose... How very silly that parents thinking is and like previously said 'lucky escape' .
Wonder if she uses the library? :rolleyes:
Playgroups? :rolleyes:
Shopping trolley seats? :rolleyes:

IndigoMoon
21-12-2010, 03:26 PM
I think a lot of people see ebay as a place where broken things are sold off to unsuspecting people, buggies are often the worse as many people sell broken or damaged buggies on ebay... in the past i have bought 4 faulty ones!

However i think the parent is being a bit of a snob. :rolleyes:

Sounds as if you'll be better off without this parent. But you could always ask her to use her own buggy if she has a problem with using yours. ;)

snufflepuff
21-12-2010, 03:27 PM
That is very odd!
Many childminders only earn just above minimum wage, others less than minimum wage if they have more than one young child themselves....how does she expect us to buy everything brand new?!
Well shot of that one IMO!

Daisy1956
21-12-2010, 03:45 PM
If parents wants her to have new perhaps they should have said they would provide it. I think you had a lucky escape, imagine having to use a pen another child had used.

wendywu
21-12-2010, 03:53 PM
Just dont tell parent that things are second full stop.:panic:

onceinabluemoon
21-12-2010, 03:58 PM
Just dont tell parent that things are second full stop.:panic:

I agree, nothing to do with parents where we buy our equipment as long as its safe and clean

maisiemog
21-12-2010, 04:55 PM
Nothing wrong with second hand! All my parents know that most of my stuff has been given to me or brought second hand and not one of them has had a problem with it.

Only thing I've actually brought brand new was my double buggy and thats only because it was the last seasons colours and was reduced to £75 to clear. Probably wouldnt have been able to get my particular buggy 2nd hand for that much!!!

I've even brought some of our DDs christmas presents 2nd hand off ebay. They've all had a good clean and you wouldnt know they weren't new! If its good enough for my own child its good enough for mindees as far as I'm concerned!

curlycathy
21-12-2010, 05:01 PM
Well good luck to her finding a childminder or nursery that will provide brand new equipment just for her child then!! As someone said - even if you buy something new other children will have used it so it will be second hand to her child anyway.

One of my parents gave me a double buggy when I just started out, and loads of toys. I get given lots and scour charity shops - my £4 pony palace is legendary!!

caz3007
21-12-2010, 05:07 PM
Most of my stuff is 2nd hand. If it was bought new its leftover from my son, who is now 8. so technically is 2nd hand too. Only new thing I have bought specifically for minding is a new travel cot as the one a friend gave me, had given up the ghost. My single buggy came from Freecycle and does the job, my double came from a friend.

Why are people so snooty, after all lots of children will use all your items, so they wont technically be new anyway

The Juggler
21-12-2010, 05:12 PM
she wouldn't like my house then:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: sounds like you had a lucky escape to be honest:(

jumpinjen
21-12-2010, 05:16 PM
One of my friends was like this when we were both pregnant at the same time.... she gave me loads of stuff that was given to her and she didn't want to use..... i was very happy to have it!! And i use lots of second hand resources like most people, ebay, boot sales, netmums etc..... it is perfectly acceptable.... most people have covered inspecting equipment and toys for safety and suitability in policies and/or risk assessments so fine and ofsted will say fine too. i think it is very rare to have a reaction like this!

jen x

mayberry
21-12-2010, 05:28 PM
Blimey the majority of my stuff is 2nd hand!!!!
I couldn't have got up and running without charity shops and ebay.
Obviously I only get things that are in very good condition and are safe, and like you would never buy a 2nd hand car seat.
My double buggy that has lasted me 5 years was £20 form ebay and I certainly wouldn't have paid the £200 for a new one when it was simply for work.

You are doing nothing wrong.

I agree with Georgina car seat no :panic: safety comes first.

There’s is nothing wrong in buying good second hand stuff. I buy loads from a car boot it as to be in immaculate condition, we all love a bargain :thumbsup: :clapping: :clapping:

Mouse
21-12-2010, 05:46 PM
I often take mindees to the charity shop. We'll take toys we've finished with & I let them chose something else! I'm quite picky myself, so everything has to be in tip top condition, but I'm not worried about it being second hand. I think it does the children good to learn about recycling things they no longer need :thumbsup:

Lots of our dressing up clothes have come from the charity shop - nothing wrong with them when they've had a good wash.

I have to be honest though, I don't tend to buy second hand pushchairs etc unless it's from someone I know. It's not because I'm a snob about it, I just like to know where equipment has come from. When my own son went to a cm I know she used second hand equipment & I didn't have a problem with it.

ChocolateChip
21-12-2010, 06:09 PM
Nothing wrong with second hand! All my parents know that most of my stuff has been given to me or brought second hand and not one of them has had a problem with it.

Only thing I've actually brought brand new was my double buggy and thats only because it was the last seasons colours and was reduced to £75 to clear. Probably wouldnt have been able to get my particular buggy 2nd hand for that much!!!

I've even brought some of our DDs christmas presents 2nd hand off ebay. They've all had a good clean and you wouldnt know they weren't new! If its good enough for my own child its good enough for mindees as far as I'm concerned!

I did the same with my double buggy, but to start off with everything else except the car seats had been used by my own 3, even the travel cot and bedding, as long as it's safe and clean what's the problem?
Don't think any of us would get off the ground if we had to buy everything brand new :eek:
I've also bought s/h presents off ebay in the past, dressing up sets, stuff for my dd's wooden dolls house, a set of talking teletubbies...........:D

SYLVIA
21-12-2010, 06:18 PM
I've found really good toys in charity shops and been given excellent toys from well off neighbours - things that I would certainly never have paid full price for.
And I don't understand the problem with the buggy, as al your other mindees past and present will have used it anyway. You could suggest your rates will have to go up to cover cost of brand new equipment.

sarah707
21-12-2010, 06:26 PM
A lot of my stuff is second hand.

i would find it impossible to change my resources regularly to meet the needs of different children if I bought everything new.

We recycle, we freecycle and we hope we are ecologically friendly as a result :D

Blaze
21-12-2010, 06:28 PM
Soiunds like a lucky escape - Anyway just because something is fro Ebay it doen't mean it's second hand - I buy a lot of new things on Ebay for a fraction of the cost advertised in other "shops"!

SamWilliams1980
21-12-2010, 08:47 PM
Thank you ladies, and your right I do think it was a lucky escape. That was one of many things she said that set alarm bells ringing....

Feel much better now :)

Hebs
21-12-2010, 08:55 PM
god help her when her child starts school, cos their resources have been used for YEARS by hundreds of kids :D