PDA

View Full Version : Urgent advice needed about sickness!!

buzzy bee
21-12-2010, 11:04 AM
Mindee (12 months) has been sick thismorning... phoned mum and she said he was with other children over the weekend who'd had a bug so it's probably that... she's going to come and get him in an hour. He's due to go home at 1 anyway.

I'm just not sure what to do next - my policy says I can't have LO for 48 hours after they've been sick (and I charge when they're sick) - is that the 'law' / what Ofsted say or is that just what we ourselves say?

I just feel a bit bad telling her not to bring him tomorrow, but still charging her for it. I don't have any other mindees - only my own son who's also 12 months.

Advice please!!

flowerpots
21-12-2010, 11:10 AM
the incubation period for sickness is 48hours so tell mom not to bring him and YES still charge, its not your fault lo is ill and you def dont want your lo to get it over xmas.

i think it comes from the department of health. :)

Pixie dust
21-12-2010, 11:16 AM
They definatley have to stay away for 48 hours but it's up to you if you charge, Can you afford not to be paid? Most childminders do charge when a child is off due to sickness it depends what is in your contract.

Tinglesnark
21-12-2010, 11:18 AM
48 hours from the last bout of sickness and still charge - try not to feel guilty because you dont want to get it and you certainly dont want your baby getting it :thumbsup:

have a look at this attachment x

Mouse
21-12-2010, 11:21 AM
I tend to quote the HPA guidelines to parents so that it doesn't look as if it's just my decision. There's no law or Ofsted rules on how long exclusion has to be, but you do need to show that you are minimising the spread of illness to you & your famiy as well as to other mindees. Excluding the child for your set 48hr period is the way you do this.

I still charge if I exclude the child.

http://www.hpa.org.uk/web/HPAwebFile/HPAweb_C/1194947358374

mufftie
21-12-2010, 11:38 AM
i agree id say you cant have him but my policy is to only charge half if they are not present

wendywu
21-12-2010, 11:46 AM
Most minders charge full for mindees sickness. You could be seriously out of pocket over the course of a year if you dont.:panic:

Only the same as for a nursery .:thumbsup:

Daftbat
21-12-2010, 02:01 PM
You should charge full fee if the child is off for occassional days due to sickness. The Half fee or retainer that's used for holidays etc is done because we normally ask for notice of this happening and can be prepared for it. You have no chance of doing any other work to compensate if a child is off because of illness and you are, at the end of the day, running a business.

buzzy bee
22-12-2010, 10:18 AM
Thanks everyone.

Mum came to get him and I told her I couldn't have him today. I did apologise (I have a good relationship with mum!) and she was very understanding and more concerned about my little boy catching it!!

So all good, he's going to come tomorrow as I've heard today from her that he's fine.

Thanks for the advice. I'm still trying to get my head around this being a business - I think I'm too nice most of the time!

sarak31
22-12-2010, 12:40 PM
I had this same thing yesterday - I sent them home too and glad I did. Said I may have him back Thursday but cancelled that as my youngest daughter was sick last night and now has got it. Bit gutted we have caught it over christmas but what can you do.

I would close for the full 48 hours - you really don't want it over christmas. I know it's hard to let parents down but it's not your fault - it's just what you need to do to keep your family well - if you catch it mum will have to take even more time off.

x