PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma re childminding

carolyn01
20-12-2010, 06:29 PM
Hi everyone,

I really love this job just hate the stress of having to fill vacancies when mindees leave.

Im a single parent with a 17 nearly 18 year old daughter attending uni next year and am seriously thinking for the first time of possibly changing my job. I have been childminding 11 years now and originally did it to be at home for my daughter. I really miss adult company, I attend toddler groups, childminding groups etc but it is always the same conversations about our job and children.

Im 46 now and can type, worked for 13 years in London as a pa in banking and have worked in retail, but like the freedom of this job as I am my own boss. Really confused as to what to do especially as there aren't many jobs at the moment.

Maybe Im having a mid life crisis - just feel like its my time now to do something different but I don't know if I want to change anything!

Confused :panic:

jumpinjen
20-12-2010, 06:53 PM
Don't know what to say really but didn't want to read and run..... are there any jobs at your early years team going..... they seem to work fairly independently but lots of adult company?

Maybe train as a health visitor?

Not sure..... do the job centre do careers advice?

Woudl you work with another cm or assistant..... or are you fed up of job conversations?

Erm..... go to uni too? OPen Uni?

Big hugs,

jen x

Pipsqueak
20-12-2010, 07:22 PM
Do you want to say in the field of childcare? With your experience and qualifications (?) you might want to consider a job in a larger setting or doing bank work perhaps?

Perhaps moving sideways and doing some office based stuff with your local early years/children centre/ncma perhaps? Again with your experience...... Or becoming an ICP tutor....

What about retraining for something completly different

Or staying a minder and setting up groups and networking with lots of other minders - become a support minder maybe? What about gaining some extra qualifications

Polly2
20-12-2010, 07:46 PM
Is there anything you really really wanted to do but you never got round to?

Maybe its time to follow your dreams :thumbsup:

carolyn01
20-12-2010, 07:53 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

The sad thing is I feel like im 17 again and haven't a clue what I want to do. One minute I want to get away from anything childcare related, the next I think I should carry on doing this job as Im fairly secure in this.

I split from my partner last year and feel like I need a new start and a new life (once my daughter is settled at uni of course).

:panic:

glitzygal
20-12-2010, 09:03 PM
WHY dont you give yourself a time limit,,,,,

state that by XXXXXX (A DATE) if your not full or at least bringing a certain amount then look into options.

if you have got your NVQ3 you may be able to stay in the childcare area, but in a different way,,,, i am in the same situation, my rent is high it wasnt a problem but now few kids have gone, i am struggling, a bit, i love where i live so dont want to move, but i may have to if i am in the situation in march, my time line........

good luck,, keep us informed,,,