PDA

View Full Version : Outside Napping

Pipsqueak
20-12-2010, 04:22 PM
interesting info in this documentary

Here is an EXCELLENT programme - well worth watching.
http://www.teachers.tv/videos/sweden-early-years

sunflower
20-12-2010, 05:57 PM
Excellent documentary Pipsqeak :) thanks for sharing

Alibali
20-12-2010, 07:00 PM
excellent, thanks.

Winnie
20-12-2010, 07:59 PM
Ah yes, I’ve seen this.

Sleeping children outside is a very Scandinavian thing, just as it was here in this country some 30 years ago. And recommended by healthcare professionals to mums (until the ‘wrap them in cotton wool’ brigade surfaced).

But now forest schools and nurseries are springing up promoting fresh air and being outdoors all year round and Ofsted have even had to change the way they inspect to accommodate them- because there is nothing wrong with fresh air.

I seem to remember sanatoriums dealing with TB used to advocate clean, cold air for the treatment of TB. And in some countries hospitals still have outdoor ‘wards’. Just as the elderly move to the coast for their retirment- fresh air is healthy.

Thank you for posting the link. I love the homely feel of the nursery featured.

Twinkles
20-12-2010, 11:45 PM
I have seen this programme before. What a lovely start in life.

We try to be outside as much as possible too.

I did note the babies sleeping outside but did you notice all the foxes and baby snatchers ?

Me neither !:cool:

Penny1959
21-12-2010, 06:41 AM
Thank you for reminding me about this programme.

As I said in previous thread - we have a lot to learn from Scandinavian countries - I love the bit where it was said 'the government trusts us to do our job' If only ours did

Penny :)

mushpea
21-12-2010, 07:08 AM
I am a beliver in letting the babies sleep outside, especialy this time of year when you come back from a walk and they are all wrapped up and cosey and asleep then you bring them in the house and either have to strip of their blankets and coats so they dont cook then wake them or you leave their stuff on so when they wake and you strip them they then feel cold cause they have been so hot ifyswim.
if you are out on a school run and they are nice and warm in the buggy then leaving themm in the back garden to finish their sleep is not different to when you are walking along with them outside. i would never leave them out the front tho and always put them where i can see them,

Pipsqueak
21-12-2010, 08:02 AM
I have seen this programme before. What a lovely start in life.

We try to be outside as much as possible too.

I did note the babies sleeping outside but did you notice all the foxes and baby snatchers ?

Me neither !:cool:

Lol Twinks. Within the zillions of things that are really impressive what I did pick up on in reference to the other thread was WHERE the babies were sleeping - the aerial shot of the porch and garden and shock horror there was a path/alleyway at the bottom with a man walking past.
And didn't they say about wrapping babies up and taking them out in upto minus 20?

Yes Penny its impressive again - the government trusts them to do their jobs.
such a homey, easy going atmosphere - that actually comes across on the video.

Actually I am applying for a job there.... lol