PDA

View Full Version : Advice on parents ill - said no to having children

Mrs.L.C
20-12-2010, 09:00 AM
I am looking for advice on this situation. I was due to have 2 children today. Mum has just called to say she has got a bad stomach bug and could I pick her 2 up. I could have got them as long as the snow is not too bad on their estate but as I am pregnant I have said to mum I dont feel happy having them if theres a stomach bug going round their household and by sounds of it, one of the children have had it over the last few days aswell.

Parent was very understanding

Would you still charge for this? (parents has already paid)

MRS DOUTFIRE
20-12-2010, 09:11 AM
for me it would depend on the relationship you had with mom, if she was a good mom has i call them , good payer, understanding ect i would not charge , but if it was a mom who messed you about i would ask for full fee , :panic: hope that helps, ive one mom who pays me come rain our shine , and another who just messes me about

jumpinjen
20-12-2010, 09:56 AM
Legally I don't think that you can charge as you have said no to the children coming, and they are not ill. I do understand why you have done it though, I think that i would refund the money though as it was your choice not to have them.

sorry..... prob not the answer you wanted!

hugs, Jen x

mayberry
20-12-2010, 10:50 AM
If the Parent could not bring them then that’s not your fault you should still get paid, I would expect to be paid.

Dawn xx

Pipsqueak
20-12-2010, 10:56 AM
I presume the normal contractual terms are that the parents bring the children to you and that you do not offer the norm of collecting/dropping children?

in that case its not your fault or problem that they cannot get the children to you.

however I suppose it depends on the relationship you have with the parents.
Personally I think I would consider half fees or if own finances were tight then full fees apply. If you do half fees I would make it clear that its a one off because of the circumstances ie their honesty with you, you being unable to help them out by collecting in this instance etc etc.

Mrs.L.C
20-12-2010, 11:03 AM
Mixed views as expected.

OH has just made a good point that we were only working this week to help this parent as we had booked if off as holiday (unpaid holiday)

I dont normaly drop off or pick up but have offered a couple of times in the past when mum has been ill.

Think il see if she mentions it and give her a discount but feel considering she is always late paying and has been late many times collecting and we have never charged them for that, I should be a bit stronger but I do get on with the family very well

mufftie
20-12-2010, 11:08 AM
i think seing as she didnt make the effort bring them then its her fault there not at yours , its a lot to ask of a pregnant woman to go out driving in the snow when unecessary , id refund half the fee or credit it to next month

The Juggler
20-12-2010, 01:41 PM
i think I would have just said that I wasn't able to collect them hon due to the snow and being pregnant then the reason for not having them is down to parent not to you.

But, if you don't want them in case they pass they bug on then you're not really available to work so I would probably not charge in this case. TBH I think I would have done the same in your shoes:)

flowerpots
20-12-2010, 02:47 PM
I would refund just as a goodwill gesture tbh, :) xxx

miffy
20-12-2010, 02:50 PM
I would not charge as you said you didn't want to have them (I wouldn't have wanted them either!).

Miffy xx

gigglinggoblin
20-12-2010, 04:31 PM
I would have charged if they couldnt get here due to her illness. But then you said you wouldnt have them and if I refused to have them I wouldnt charge. So maybe say you will refund half as a good will gesture and hope she doesnt question it? I dont think it makes any difference if you were only open for them, if you are open then you are open and if you refuse care you cant really expect them to pay.

IndigoMoon
20-12-2010, 05:42 PM
I would have charged if they couldnt get here due to her illness. But then you said you wouldnt have them and if I refused to have them I wouldnt charge. So maybe say you will refund half as a good will gesture and hope she doesnt question it? I dont think it makes any difference if you were only open for them, if you are open then you are open and if you refuse care you cant really expect them to pay.

My thoughts exactly.